Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
KVELLER

[GZDoom] Enable bloom for weapons?

Is there any cvar or something for enabling bloom on the HUD sprites? I remember this being a thing by default on older versions, but it was removed at some point and I really liked it.

Smartass solution is use older version... but I don't know if it can be turned back on or even why it was taken out.

18 minutes ago, Nevander said:

Smartass solution is use older version... but I don't know if it can be turned back on or even why it was taken out.

I got 3.6 not long ago, the cfg(ini?) file is a wall of text now.  When did that change?  It used to be rather simple.

It was taken out because it was unwanted in most cases. Getting blinded by your shiny berserk fist is nonsensical.

8 hours ago, Gez said:

It was taken out because it was unwanted in most cases. Getting blinded by your shiny berserk fist is nonsensical.

Yeah, I figured as much. I'm an insane person that likes bloom even in ludicrous quantities, so it's a bummer for me, but alas... Maybe I'll go over to the ZDoom forums and ask whether or not it could get re-added as an optional thing.

7 hours ago, Gez said:

What? I've never seen bloom on the fist before, berserk or otherwise. Also saying "unwanted in most cases" is still subjective, and screws over the ones who liked it as this thread demonstrates. Why not just add bloom on weapons as a sub-setting for bloom when enabled? Make everyone happy.

1 hour ago, Nevander said:

What? I've never seen bloom on the fist before, berserk or otherwise.

I can confirm this was a thing in older versions (2.4.0 at least). It did look pretty silly, I have to admit, but bloom looked cool in other weapons IMO.

1 hour ago, Nevander said:

Also saying "unwanted in most cases" is still subjective, and screws over the ones who liked it as this thread demonstrates. Why not just add bloom on weapons as a sub-setting for bloom when enabled? Make everyone happy.

While I agree with you (and as I said, I'll probably point it out to Graf and co.) it was probably just something they didn't put much thought into, like that whole shitstorm that happened when they removed conventional resolutions in favor of resolution scaling.

bloom pass is hard-coded into the gzdoom pipeline. it actually works in screen space, so it is a matter of calling bloom filter before or after psprites rendering. at first, it was called after, and majority of people didn't really like it ('cause your hands were shiny most of the time ;-), so it was moved. i don't think that you have an option for that now (except patching the source code).

it is possible to make it switchable not only by .ini setting, but by decorate flag too, yet good luck convincing Graf (or some other developer) to implement it. at least i myself would reject such request if i'd been a GZDoom developer. ;-)

The only potential way to make it togglable would be to implement bloom maps that would mark hot areas on a texture. But if you do that, bloom would stop working for all textures that don't have bloom maps.

why? nope. just check ReadyWeapon's "wantbloom" flag, and call bloom filter either before rendering psprites, or after. bloom itself doesn't care about 3d at all, it works on screen quad.

Unfortunate but oh well, it will reveal a glaring omission in the Rifle weapon in my CYAN-DOOM mod that the muzzle flash doesn't have a brightmap and the removal of bloom will make it look lame in low light conditions. :P

Then again, not everything had brightmaps anyway (cause I suck).

Reminds me how Doomsday Engine got rid of 'glowmaps' for water a long time ago because I guess having glowing water is weird, but, Doom 64 man!