Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Black Void

Ok, problems...

... my computer keeps on randomly crashing on me. Sometimes, when I press a certain key, it opens up windows it shouldn't. I've already scanned for viruses and errors; norton aint saying crap. Lately, I've found some of my files gone. And the good'ol blue screen has been popping up a bit more than I'd like to see. Lastly, my internet explorer is crashing A LOT; I just got my internet working a few days ago BTW, and with all this crap... I just wanna know... does anyone have any idea as to what the hell is going on here?

Well I think you got a hardware problem.
From your description I would think a harddisk problem but random crashes are mostly ram related. In that case it's just finding out which one is dead and replacing it.
However that wouldn't explain: "Sometimes, when I press a certain key, it opens up windows it shouldn't" or the disappearing files ( unless they dissappear when you make them). That and the crashes can also be the result of bad sectors and the work of scandisk.
After the first? crash, scandisk starts, find some bad spots on your harddisk, marked them and moved your files to another place. If those files were system files, results like opening windows when you press a certain key or making all your fonts italic are quite possible.
If you've bad spots, you can try and reinstall everything, a diskcheck will occur prior to installation ( or even better find an old version of norton disk doctor and let it mark the bad spots)or buy a new harddisk.
Other things pointing to a bad harddisk: noise, scandisk messages about bad spots, alot of new files with 001,002 and so on extensions.
If your using nt4,w2k or xp the eventlogs will gather data about scandisk and other malfunctionings. Btw if your harddisk becomes noisy a complete failure will take place. Sorry for my english.

you could try running the DOS scandisk, scan surface of your hard disk, see if any bad sectors come up and get marked, then you could try running setup of your windows over the original? it may or may not help but it is the best i can offer, sorry

Black Void I suffer from this too (except the missing files and the windows opening up part)...Every 5 min my cpu crashes, freezes, or goes on stand by and then freezes. And I get hella lot of errors from everything, I tried a Anti-virus thingy but My cpu wont have one, when I tried one, my cpu wouldnt start Windows Unless I uninstalled it and never put it on again. These things have been hapening Alot more often and stuff ever since I got my new graphics card, meh, give a little, get a little, I guess...

Hmm... apparently the problem is still unknown. Did it cure itself? Because right now, my computer is doing nothing... strange, incredibly strange. However, thank you people who were nice enough to respond to my thread, I'll keep all that in mind next time that crap happens!

Rather than start a new thread, I think I'll just hijack this one.

[EDIT] Disregard, I fixed it. On the plus side, I now have three times as much RAM as I did yesterday morning. Gotta love manufacturer's rebates. :D

What fodders said.

Check your power supply, video card and cpu cooling fans to make sure they aren't clogged with dust or otherwise stopped working.