Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
VanaheimRanger

GZDoom Fake Software Mode AKA How to make OpenGL look closer to Software Rendering

Who knew One Weird Trick I discovered to make a particular GL-only wad look softwarey would have such legs! I never used bloom though, the idea of the sky and other bright things bleeding into the level architecture is un-Doomy to me.

Just wanted to add that in GZDoom 3.7.0 (released today) there's a new light mode: Vanilla.

The 'software' light mode uses ZDoom's software renderer light math, while 'vanilla' more approximates original Doom (assuming I read the Chocolate Doom source code right). There are still minor differences to the original, but I recommend you give it a try to see which you prefer.

Will vanilla-style software fading (in software mode itself) ever return to ZDoom? The excessively bright light around the player is something I've noticed in ZDoom for well over a decade.

32 minutes ago, Woolie Wool said:

Will vanilla-style software fading (in software mode itself) ever return to ZDoom? The excessively bright light around the player is something I've noticed in ZDoom for well over a decade.

That was the original plan. Unfortunately the code that selects the colormap in the ZDoom software renderer is quite scattered, which means it requires some cleanup of that before it will be possible. I don't want to remove the ZDoom light mode entirely as some may prefer it. Randi clearly did or she wouldn't have altered the light in the first place.

Lol, of course I make a 3.6 tutorial mere hours before 3.7 drops.  I'm going to check it out later tonight in a separate install and see how I like the new vanilla sector light mode.  Thanks @dpJudas I'll update the OP with it as well.

@Woolie Wool I agree that bloom isn't very original Doom.  But I like how it looks.  It's a completely optional setting like most others here, though :)

14 minutes ago, guitardz said:

@Woolie Wool I agree that bloom isn't very original Doom.  But I like how it looks.  It's a completely optional setting like most others here, though :)

Exactly, but is fun to play with all this like with photo mode in Doom 2016, but here, in gzdoom are more options to play. Time to start new play, only need to download new gzdoom.

11 minutes ago, Teder said:

Exactly, but is fun to play with all this like with photo mode in Doom 2016

Oh wait, Doom 2016 got a photo mode?  I only played through it when it fort released, I'm guessing they added it in a later update?

3 minutes ago, Teder said:

EDIT: oh and You can use centered weapons like in classic DOOM (HELL YEAH).

CENTERED WEAPONS?!  Holy shit I need to load that game up again!

13 minutes ago, guitardz said:

@Teder THIS IS AMAZING!  Does it also have vertical auto-aim like classic Doom?  I would play it like this exclusively.

No, it hasn't.

EDIT:

One thing we need in gzdoom is DOF and we got perfect photo mode :)

Ok, here are my "arts":

wMvTHZ8.jpg

FoEJU75.jpg

obRF3fo.jpg

ZVMldjl.jpg

QThx88r.jpg

P3zWO84.jpg

Edited by Teder

5 minutes ago, whirledtsar said:

What is this wad?

That is MAP01 of Eviternity.  All the screens below that one are from Eviternity as well.

Excellent, thanks for the translation guitardz (and cheers Woolie for original pics). I generally think Doom looks bad with modern graphics effects because of the sprites and vertically primitive architecture but this lowers the fidelity enough to shape it into a cohesive style.

The Engoo software-with-benefits engine offers a similar look for Quake: http://leileilol.mancubus.net/engoo/

//edit: also, I just realised you can type writeini <filename>.ini into the console if you want to dump these settings out but not use them for everything.

Edited by holaareola

7 hours ago, holaareola said:

also, I just realised you can type writeini <filename>.ini into the console if you want to dump these settings out but not use them for everything.

Oh, that's a great tip.  I've personally been using multiple installations but this works better.

1 hour ago, guitardz said:

Oh, that's a great tip.  I've personally been using multiple installations but this works better.

For now I clean up my DOOM folders, I got only Zandronum, 3 versions of Gzdoom and in the other disk some other zandronums and skulltag. Maybe about 10 gigs only for classic DOOM :D

EDIT: there was a day when I got 6 DOOM 3 versions, about 25 gigs together :D

On 12/27/2018 at 8:46 AM, guitardz said:

AMBIENT OCCLUSION QUALITY - HIGH (Important)

Uh, why is it important? I'm pretty sure the original software renderer had nothing that looked even remotely close like AO.

Also, where's that fake contrast? :P

7 hours ago, KVELLER said:

Uh, why is it important?

Without it it looks...odd, shall we say.  When I saw that in Woolie's settings I asked the same question, but the difference is pretty night and day to my eyes.

7 hours ago, KVELLER said:

Also, where's that fake contrast? :P

This hasn't been suggested, it could be worth a look.

On 12/27/2018 at 12:58 PM, dpJudas said:

That was the original plan. Unfortunately the code that selects the colormap in the ZDoom software renderer is quite scattered, which means it requires some cleanup of that before it will be possible. I don't want to remove the ZDoom light mode entirely as some may prefer it. Randi clearly did or she wouldn't have altered the light in the first place.

I’ve always assumed it was just a bug. Vanilla’s light behavior matches ZDoom’s if its view size is set to the smallest one (which I assume is also a bug...)

1 hour ago, guitardz said:

Without it it looks...odd, shall we say.  When I saw that in Woolie's settings I asked the same question, but the difference is pretty night and day to my eyes.

I won't deny that it looks great, I love the setting myself, but what I'm getting at is that it isn't "pretty necessary for it to resemble Software in any way", as you put it. It should be in the same classification as bloom.

8 hours ago, KVELLER said:

I won't deny that it looks great, I love the setting myself, but what I'm getting at is that it isn't "pretty necessary for it to resemble Software in any way", as you put it. It should be in the same classification as bloom.

After more sleep, I seem to recall it making the banded light mode stand out quite a bit more, especially in dark areas.  I may alter that bit from important to very cool looking.

Personally I'd recommend keeping the anisotropic filter on because when off it can make textures simply disappear in the distance. Here's an example of what I mean. It's "MAP12: Dark Side of the Moon" from the first Doom: The Golden Souls mod.

With anisotropic filtering 16x:

HfL8W5e.png

Without anisotropic filtering:

tcbGYdl.png

As you can see, without anisotropic filtering, the texture just becomes fully transparent when it's at a strong angle and far enough.

Oh, and if you're wondering: here's how it looks in software. Sorry, the viewpoint isn't exactly the same because I forgot to take this screenshot along with the two others; but I hope it's convincing nonetheless:

UzLp4Wc.png

Fence texture doesn't turn invisible in the distance. Anisotropic filtering is therefore necessary (Important) to make OpenGL rendering closer to software.