Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Brad_tilf

Bring out your dead

So, a recent topic I started and that someone responded to got me thinking. If you know of a now defunct (aka DEAD) DOOM related website that I can research on the Internet Archive and resurrect, let me know. I'll do what I can with the code and the downloads and the pics and bring it back to life (just like Jesus).

For instance, someone brought this website up and I got the site back to the living: http://doomwadstation.net/jcd/

Edited by Brad_tilf : title change

Here are the Wayback Machine links currently on doomwiki.org. It would be wonderful to have a backup like this, since nothing lasts forever (my reading of the Internet Archive FAQ is that it's already on borrowed time, but others disagree).

If you're able to investigate other archiving services, this plus this is more comprehensive, though you have to click around a bit to find the original URLs.

Hope that helps!

5 hours ago, Xeriphas1994 said:

Here are the Wayback Machine links currently on doomwiki.org. It would be wonderful to have a backup like this, since nothing lasts forever (my reading of the Internet Archive FAQ is that it's already on borrowed time, but others disagree).

If you're able to investigate other archiving services, this plus this is more comprehensive, though you have to click around a bit to find the original URLs.

Hope that helps!

Too much info. A specific site - not too in depth (like Newdoom) would help

I do have a question though - does anyone think the original creators of these sites will have an issue with "resurrecting" them? I'm going to try and email the guy from Doomology (the email is on his main page) but I don't have high hopes for reaching him considering the site went defunct 13 years ago and it was a hotmail address.

3 hours ago, Brad_tilf said:

I do have a question though - does anyone think the original creators of these sites will have an issue with "resurrecting" them? I'm going to try and email the guy from Doomology (the email is on his main page) but I don't have high hopes for reaching him considering the site went defunct 13 years ago and it was a hotmail address.

Probably a pretty uncommon case, but a few might do. It's better contacting them first, even with outdated contact info (well, unless we get a more updated contact info).

1 hour ago, taufan99 said:

Probably a pretty uncommon case, but a few might do. It's better contacting them first, even with outdated contact info (well, unless we get a more updated contact info).

I thought about it and the fact that all of this is still "alive" on the wayback machine tells me I have nothing to worry about. Since there is nothing explicitly stating NOT to use the information, I'm feeling ok with resurrecting it.

5 hours ago, Brad_tilf said:

Ya, I think I can resurrect that one. I'll see what I can do with it.

So here's the thing. I was able to resurrect the website - http://doomwadstation.net/doomology/index.htm but, unfortunately, except for the "other wads" page which I was able to link to publicly available downloads - none of HIS stuff was ever uploaded to the idgames area. So, none of the maps are available. I'm going to "try" emailing the email address on the website but I don't hold much hope. I do, apparently, have many of his maps in my backup of the /idgames area (searched on his email address.)

9 minutes ago, Brad_tilf said:

So here's the thing. I was able to resurrect the website - http://doomwadstation.net/doomology/index.htm but, unfortunately, except for the "other wads" page which I was able to link to publicly available downloads - none of HIS stuff was ever uploaded to the idgames area. So, none of the maps are available. I'm going to "try" emailing the email address on the website but I don't hold much hope. I do, apparently, have many of his maps in my backup of the /idgames area (searched on his email address.)

https://www.doomworld.com/idgames//index.php?search=1&field=author&word=b.p.r.d&sort=time&order=asc&page=1

IIRC the only two that aren't on /idgames are the first two on his page, Dark Canyon and Doom Lands. Someone here probably has a copy of both, though (like @Mad Butcher)

27 minutes ago, kmxexii said:

https://www.doomworld.com/idgames//index.php?search=1&field=author&word=b.p.r.d&sort=time&order=asc&page=1

IIRC the only two that aren't on /idgames are the first two on his page, Dark Canyon and Doom Lands. Someone here probably has a copy of both, though (like @Mad Butcher)

Yup - I resurrected everything but those two. If someone has them, I would love to add them

27 minutes ago, Brad_tilf said:

Yup - I resurrected everything but those two. If someone has them, I would love to add them

Now I'm only missing Dark Canyon. I had all the others on my hard drive (aka my website)

10 minutes ago, Brad_tilf said:

Now I'm only missing Dark Canyon. I had all the others on my hard drive (aka my website)

I sincerely doubt whether the file you have for "Doom Lands" is B.P.R.D's. It doesn't seem to be associated with him in any meaningful fashion and is actually a Quake II map pack and not the 13-level Doom collection described in his self-deprecating blurb.

15 minutes ago, kmxexii said:

I sincerely doubt whether the file you have for "Doom Lands" is B.P.R.D's. It doesn't seem to be associated with him in any meaningful fashion and is actually a Quake II map pack and not the 13-level Doom collection described in his self-deprecating blurb.

No faith man.

Title                   : Doomland
Filename                : dmland.WAD
Author                  : B.
Date                    : March 15, 2001
Email Address           : burp_n_gurgle@hotmail.com
Misc. Author Info       : I made all these wads a long time ago, so, ya know,
                          whatever.

Description             : A collection of wads i made a long time ago. The
                          last level is quite unique (sorta)

5 minutes ago, Brad_tilf said:

No faith man.

Title                   : Doomland
Filename                : dmland.WAD
Author                  : B.
Date                    : March 15, 2001
Email Address           : burp_n_gurgle@hotmail.com
Misc. Author Info       : I made all these wads a long time ago, so, ya know,
                          whatever.

Description             : A collection of wads i made a long time ago. The
                          last level is quite unique (sorta)

That's definitely not the file that I get when I click on the download link in your hosted page. Instead I get this:

DOOMLAND
=============================================================================
Title                   : Doomed Lands (Normal Release 1)

Files                   : DOOMLAND.BSP, DOOMLAND.TXT, FILE_ID.DIZ and PAK1.PAK
                          archive: DOOMLAND.ZIP

Release Data (DD/MM/YY) : 

Author                  : Lari Muuriaisniemi a.k.a CryptR
Email Address           : lmuur@dlc.fi                      
Web Site                : www.dlc.fi/~lmuur  <- Visit there to get newest stuff!

2 minutes ago, kmxexii said:

That's definitely not the file that I get when I click on the download link in your hosted page. Instead I get this:

DOOMLAND
=============================================================================
Title                   : Doomed Lands (Normal Release 1)

Files                   : DOOMLAND.BSP, DOOMLAND.TXT, FILE_ID.DIZ and PAK1.PAK
                          archive: DOOMLAND.ZIP

Release Data (DD/MM/YY) : 

Author                  : Lari Muuriaisniemi a.k.a CryptR
Email Address           : lmuur@dlc.fi                      
Web Site                : www.dlc.fi/~lmuur  <- Visit there to get newest stuff!

Ya, I checked it. It's right now. :-)   So, that leaves 1  (download it again)

1 minute ago, Brad_tilf said:

Ya, I checked it. It's right now. :-)   So, that leaves 1  (download it again)

Looks good now!

Historically speaking, Doom Central by Sir Alien could be interesting. As I recall it was the first Doom news site.

The URL used to be doomcentral.telefragged.com. Of course it is long gone by now.

13 minutes ago, JadingTsunami said:

Historically speaking, Doom Central by Sir Alien could be interesting. As I recall it was the first Doom news site.

The URL used to be doomcentral.telefragged.com. Of course it is long gone by now.

I remember that. Let me look. I think the wayback only goes back to 2001. Nope. Looked. Nuttin. I was actually thinking of something called Sir Robins castle.

Edit: Can't find it.

Edited by Brad_tilf

Thanks for looking. I may have old files from that era that I will look through later to try to help.

If you are looking for any sites in particular let me know.

Just now, JadingTsunami said:

Thanks for looking. I may have old files from that era that I will look through later to try to help.

If you are looking for any sites in particular let me know.

No, nothing in particular. Just trying to bring the past back to the future

8 minutes ago, Mad Butcher said:

Dark Canyon is here: http://geocities.ws/doomology/wads.html

Brad_tilf: I'm looking for two maps by Blue Paladin that I can't find anywhere. One is for ZDoom named Metal, and the other for Legacy named Diabolique. They were once available on his website. Would it be possible to host them on DWS?

I might still have that somewhere

21 minutes ago, Brad_tilf said:

So the site still exists

Doom Wad Station still exists. Whether I have those files or not... eh, not sure right now

27 minutes ago, Brad_tilf said:

So the site still exists

The site doesn't but Eric sent me the maps so I can reconstitute it