Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Boondorl

Pain Elemental: Classic, N64, or a mixture?

Let's assume we're using Doom 64's Lost Soul since it's an actual enemy and not a moving wall. If you're not sure what the difference is, they nerfed its health from 100 to 60 but made it attack like crazy.

Classic Pain Elemental:

• Macho baby arms
  • Shoots a single Lost Soul
  • Can be blocked making it entirely useless

N64 Pain Elemental:

• Mullet straight out of hell
  • Two mouths for double the Lost Soul spam
  • Blocking Lost Soul spawns causes absolutely massive damage to those unfortunate enough to be close by

On one hand, I like how much larger of a presence the N64 one has. Getting close is dangerous and Lost Souls need to be dispatched of quickly if you want to survive. Given the cramped nature of Doom's hallways, though, it can lead to a lot of infighting due to walls blocking spawns. From a player perspective that's great, but from an enemy balance perspective it can be a bit limiting. On the other hand, I really like how unique the classic one is in terms of play style. No other enemy requires you to hug its face as much as the Pain Elemental does since there's never a reason to get out of melee range once in it. While it makes them underpowered when alone, they can be a total pain when in groups. One big downside is that they're too easy to block, even unintentionally.

What do you guys think?

I enjoyed Doom 64's pain elementals a bit more, they still seemed a bit more dangerous than the classic.
It would be interesting to have both in one map though now that I'm thinking about it.

Holy shit though the n64 ones were straight nightmare fuel when i was 7, while I prefer the classic demon, cacodemon, mancubus, revenant, and pretty much all of the other ones besides the pain elemental the n64 ones looked cool. Also is there any reason why the pain elemental didnt show up in ANY other doom game besides Doom n64 and Doom2?

@Rhebiz Spawning a ton of lost souls was probably taxing on PC hardware because they're 3D models? I think Doom Eternal is getting away with Pain Elementals because the lost souls would explode upon impact instead of flying everywhere.

Definitely Doom 64's PE and Lost Souls.

Finally, a Doom game where Lost Souls actually are dangerous as opposed to annoying, tanky obstacles with far too much health to be any fun to fight whatsoever. Yeah, I hardly consider their original design a real enemy due to how dumb and frustrating they are. The reduced health and recovery speed between attacks made them much more interesting to fight against, and you had to worry about not getting cornered by a PE in order to avoid getting killed by their Lost Souls. Overall, both are greatly improved in D64 imo.

Hello everyone, new person here.

I preferred N64 PE as it feels like I think they originally intended it. The Pain Elementals in the original seemed like Cacodemons slightly nastier brother- size wise. The N64 fleshed those guys well.