Find results in...
xdarkmasterx

Officiators of Death

1 minute ago, Marcaek said:

cool bak (to saturn x???????)

sky is a map lump apparently but it still works

huh

th?id=OIP.Wm64h-CGTlmGIKEGrHNw_wHaFi%26p

i thought i fixed that but maybe the dropbox link isn't working, i updated it any way. thank you!!! for telling me the problem :)

update 2

-small visual changes

-monster block line added (to stop crowding the top of elevator)

-new music (old one was too loud and did not loop well)

Hey, just played this on UV.

A lot of fun except for one big caveat, thanks for making it.  I really liked the start, the pressure is high right from spawn, with a good free-form fight coming from all directions.  Appreciated your style of monster placement and usage of space -- the small scale and looped area means you don't have to rely on monster pedestals, deaf or trapped monsters to preserve multidirectional danger because the monsters can usually find their way to you.  This combined with the generally mid-low tier monster mix makes gameplay feel less grindy and more unpredictable.

I also liked the amount of health. Being so sparing with medikits makes them feel like a treat, and enables you to have secrets (like the jump secret) that still feel rewarding without overpowering the player and unbalancing the map.

On the criticism side, I think you can end up with near-unwinnable state due to ammo if you do the areas out of order.   E.g. easy to get stuck in RL pit due to baron if you haven't picked up plasma or at least the box of rockets in plasma area.  The same for the blue key area if you've only got the SSG. I had to restart a couple of times due to this -- maybe it's intentional in which case fair enough, but I personally think maps should be doable on a first go without prior knowledge.

Nice work!

8 hours ago, holaareola said:

Hey, just played this on UV.

thanks man, i try usually to make levels interconnected and give monster access to most areas the player can because it makes the game more dynamic and unpredictable admitedly i could have done it better here (most monsters can't reach you on the top floor) but im glad u liked it :)

ammo: i tested every locked encounter and key combination order in UV without picking up anything and it can be tricky in some places (such if you go to the muddy pit first) but i didnt find anything was too wrong with that. i usually try to keep ammo low so that player is encouraged to be aggressive (so they can keep finding more ammo pickups), that's most interesting use for ammo i could find, but there is more on lower difficulties of course.

thank you for playing

One of these days, you gotta polish some of these bad boys up, throw together some text screens and a titlepic, and make a megawad. 

13 hours ago, xdarkmasterx said:

thanks man, i try usually to make levels interconnected and give monster access to most areas the player can because it makes the game more dynamic and unpredictable admitedly i could have done it better here (most monsters can't reach you on the top floor) but im glad u liked it :)

ammo: i tested every locked encounter and key combination order in UV without picking up anything and it can be tricky in some places (such if you go to the muddy pit first) but i didnt find anything was too wrong with that. i usually try to keep ammo low so that player is encouraged to be aggressive (so they can keep finding more ammo pickups), that's most interesting use for ammo i could find, but there is more on lower difficulties of course.

thank you for playing

Ah, OK. I would say that even when testing the combos, as the designer, you have the advantage of foreknowledge on layout and thing placement which inevitably influences how you play the map. Anyway, all a matter of taste, it's probably just that I'm not skilful enough to do it first time.

I actually thought it was good that the top floor monsters couldn't get directly down into the starting area, because otherwise you could draw them out to the yard where there is the most room to manoeuvre and cause infighting.  Look forward to playing more of your stuff!

update:

fixed a trap that had the same tag as a door switch

let player lower barrier in the mud pit trap, prevent being stuck outside

Edited by xdarkmasterx