Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DJVCardMaster

POLL Results: best Ultimate Doom map

2 weeks ago, I made a POLL, on which is for the community, the best Ultimate Doom map

The poll, with 53 votes, showed that E2M2 is people's favorite map (9 votes). The poll is still going on, so you can still vote, but for the moment, those are the final results as for 29/12/2018. 

TOP 4 Doom 1 maps: 
1) E2M2: Containment Area (9 votes)

E2M2.png.1bbf64b0495861fbb8fd63080291e33f.png

2) E1M1: Hangar (5 votes)

E1M1.png.c6de7f551778020422e34003e1414729.png

3) E2M8: Tower of Babel (5 votes)

E2M8.png.32da71e4933cc98a9eec19cd04a4fbef.png

4) E3M6: Mt. Erebus (5 votes)

E3M6.PNG.3d9293b5bf0772efd165044a19d19bce.PNG

Episode ranking (Based on votes):
1) E2: The Shores of Hell (22 votes)

2) E1: Knee-Deep in the Dead (14 votes)

3) E3: Inferno (11 votes)

4) E4: Thy Flesh Consumed (6 votes)

Theoretical "Greatest Hits" Episode:

EGHM1: Hangar
EGHM2: Containment Area

EGHM3: Toxin Refinery
EGHM4: Computer Station
EGHM5: Halls of the Damned
EGHM6: Perfect Hatred
EGHM7: Mt. Erebus
EGHM8: Tower of Babel

EGHM9: Military Base (Secret level)

Next stop, best Doom 2 map soon.

Edited by DJVCardMaster

Being somewhat pedantic sometimes, I find it interesting that you are using "best" and "favorite" interchangeably. I make a distinction between these two based on "objective" quality (which, to be sure, does not actually exist) and subjective taste. For example, I think Containment Area is a very well made map, but it's not even in my top 10 favorites. And I would say Slough of Despair is an example of the opposite for me.

12 minutes ago, HAK3180 said:

Being somewhat pedantic sometimes, I find it interesting that you are using "best" and "favorite" interchangeably. I make a distinction between these two based on "objective" quality (which, to be sure, does not actually exist) and subjective taste. For example, I think Containment Area is a very well made map, but it's not even in my top 10 favorites. And I would say Slough of Despair is an example of the opposite for me.

We will have to get a little philosophical on people's subjectivity at selecting a map as their best, is it because they like it more? or because they think is the best made? or a combination or both?
That's why I made this 'democratic style'.

I'm surprised, but happy, to see Containment Area at the top of the list! I almost chose it. Then waffled on Computer Station for awhile before finally clicking on Deimos Lab. It's a toss up for me, though. There are easily eight Doom 1 maps that I feel so good about that I could not pick one above the other. They are:

E1M3: best secrets to a secret level ever.

E1M5: Excellent layout and connectivity, even if the lift down to the acid room doesn't make for the best gameplay. That cool star secret!

E1M6: Awesome secrets. Really cool that you can find an alternate way to the exit through cool secrets that allow you to skip one of the key card areas. Wild slime hallway that takes you outside!

E1M7: Awesome layout and really cool access to really cool slime secrets via a rising pillar.

E2M2: Super cool level with so many cool elements like hallway of crushing ceilings, tons of nifty secrets including a secret containment bunker, and a passageway beneath some funky shifting-floor machinery. 

E2M4: Awesome atmosphere and tons of awesome secrets. For some reason I always think of John Romero when I play this map, even though he had nothing to do with it! Sandy Petersen forever.

E3M4: Awesome atmosphere. A sense of being in the heart of hell, at the heart of the episode. A quintessentially perfect mid-episode level.

E3M7: Wonderful sense of place with a brooding atmosphere and super-cool key puzzle. Nice secrets, too. An excellent penultimate map.

Runner ups:

E3M1: starting on the surface of hell with a giant hellish sky was pretty awesome back in the day. Two cacodemons right out of the gate??? The whole level has a cool atmosphere and, oddly, it feels more now than it did when I first played it, a very cool/atmospheric and appropriate start for the episode. 

E3M9: While it felt like a big missed opportunity to not make a nod to Wolf3D by adding a secret area (or better yet, a chained-secret area) to one of the cubbies in the warrens (the dark area with the square gray textures), the novelty and gimmick of this map was excellently done. The cyb battle was cool, and reminiscent of another boss battle on another secret level of episode 6 of Wolf3D. 

E4M2: Wonderful sense of place. The most unique atmosphere of any of the Doom 1 levels. And memorably hard for all the barons. If E4M1 didn't already do so, it really set the tone for the whole episode. The rest of the levels are all great and all deserve runner up status, with the exception of E2M8, E2M3, E1M8 and the

levels I actually don't care that much for:

E4M4 is my least favorite level in all official Dooms. It seems like it was primarily designed for deathmatch and overall the level does not feel fully realized. Doesn't have a strong sense of place. It is the only level in Doom that sticks out to me as feeling out of place in the entire game, and falls short of the Doom standard, with the possible exception of

E4M9: Don't care for the symmetry: I find it cheap and quite off-putting. 

E3M8: Was rather disappointing for a final level of such an amazing game. Basically just a big room with a boss that was weaker than the Cyberdemon and could easily be taken out with a couple BFG blasts. At least E2M8 had big atmosphere that perfectly matched the size of the boss; had super cool textures that weren't used anywhere else despite being some of the coolest textures in the entire game; and had a cool start area. Had awesome and perfectly fitting music for a boss level, too (just like E1M8 did as well). 

For people who knock E2M8: it was a unique level to the rest of the game, with a cool gimmick, even if it was slightly disappointing that the entire level was basically just two rooms. The moving textures when the doors opened at the end was a spooky effect that felt fittingly mysterious. 

To sum up, I basically feel every level in the entire game is great except for four or five levels. Note that this post reflects how I feel about Doom at this very moment (25 years after its release). I had slightly different (overall a bit less favorable) feelings about some of the levels way back when.

Tower of Babel for sure.

Containment Area is a great map, and I love it, but anyone who didn't feel their heart start racing the first time a Cyberdemon began chasing them down is either a liar or a corpse.