Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
neubejiita

PSX Doom glitch video.

In this, video there are a few glitches shown, like the Lost Soul outside the map, but the player seems to go into the void as well. I never knew this was possible on PSX Doom.

Glitching really starts at 2:11. I remember I played this game on Doom2 Courtyard and it crashed with a Texture Cache Overflow. But can you really get outside the map in PSX Doom?

As you can see in the video, the geometry starts corrupting which is why the player was able to escape. This is caused by the lost souls escaping the map; the console versions of Doom don't do boundary checking in the blockmap, so any object outside starts eating into unrelated memory, producing the map corruption.

I've never seen that before , DOOM PSX was my first DOOM experience all the way back in '97 and I've spent a ton of time on that port. Though I'm not one to try and glitch games this was really interesting to see.

It's entirely possible to do this on Playstation Doom, but you have to be kind of trying to make it happen, namely by letting Pain Elementals explode near walls (kicking Lost Souls out into the void), and having a really huge level to give them the best chance of corrupt, and to play around long enough for the corruption to happen.

I've seen Lost Souls get kicked out into the void a handful of times, though.