Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
grandgreed

Hexen Neural Texture Pack

Recommended Posts

On 5/26/2019 at 10:55 PM, Malice said:

Last time I checked that is not your role. Know your place and keep to yourself.

 

Keeping civil and keeping conversations on topic are the responsibility of everyone on the forum. Don't tell me or others what our role is or isn't or to keep to ourselves in a community forum. Unlike you, I actually have done upscales and managed mod projects so I have a bit of experience and, based on grandgreed's previous comments, it's pretty obvious that he's not taking requests outside the scope of what's in the original Raven Hexen releases.

 

On 5/26/2019 at 10:55 PM, Malice said:

If it's about the project

 

Exactly the point. Your request was not about the project but about an addition to the project.

Share this post


Link to post
On 5/28/2019 at 6:53 AM, DOOM_X900 said:

if you have to manually touch up each texture which I didn't know about

 

You don't *have* to manually touch up each texture unless there's transparency involved or there's a glitch in the result. Upscaling doesn't really "understand" transparency so, if you're doing textures, you're probably fine. If you're doing sprites, you'll have a bit more work.

Share this post


Link to post
On 6/13/2019 at 9:43 AM, dpkonofa said:

 

Keeping civil and keeping conversations on topic are the responsibility of everyone on the forum. Don't tell me or others what our role is or isn't or to keep to ourselves in a community forum. Unlike you, I actually have done upscales and managed mod projects so I have a bit of experience and, based on grandgreed's previous comments, it's pretty obvious that he's not taking requests outside the scope of what's in the original Raven Hexen releases.

 

 

Exactly the point. Your request was not about the project but about an addition to the project.

 

No it's not.

 

That's your misguided agenda that you have convinced yourself of believing so that you can feel important.

 

A thread about a mod that you have nothing to do with regardless of past experience in other projects is none of your concern. Unless I or anyone else are quoting you specifically then it's not about you, despite the obvious that you feel it should be.

 

 

 

On 6/13/2019 at 9:45 AM, dpkonofa said:

 

You don't *have* to manually touch up each texture unless there's transparency involved or there's a glitch in the result. Upscaling doesn't really "understand" transparency so, if you're doing textures, you're probably fine. If you're doing sprites, you'll have a bit more work.

 

You don't HAVE to do anything. The point I'm making which is well documented in other places for projects doing the exact same thing, is that for best results the final ~20% should be touched up by hand since autonomous upscaling is still relatively new and based on sample size not perfectly trained for every texture at this point in time.

 

Spare everyone the "well actually" sentiment. It got old 15 years ago.

Share this post


Link to post

I would literally pay for the upscale of Brutal Hexen.

 

There's around 400 new death animation sprites and there are no textures so its difficult to work with if you are not an expert here.

 

You guys have a great opportunity to make cash right now, it is difficult to achieve the same image quality as these great textures.

 

Thanks again.

Share this post


Link to post
32 minutes ago, DOOM_X900 said:

I would literally pay for the upscale of Brutal Hexen.

 

There's around 400 new death animation sprites and there are no textures so its difficult to work with if you are not an expert here.

 

You guys have a great opportunity to make cash right now, it is difficult to achieve the same image quality as these great textures.

 

Thanks again.

I don't know if they could legally but I second that. It makes the game look drastically better, can't imagine the work involved in making all these sprites and animations. Really love Hexen and am so glad it got the upscale treatment.

Share this post


Link to post
On 6/22/2019 at 9:53 AM, Beezle said:

I don't know if they could legally but I second that. It makes the game look drastically better, can't imagine the work involved in making all these sprites and animations. Really love Hexen and am so glad it got the upscale treatment.

 

Only the source code was made available. The original game assets are still property of activision so unlicensed third party sale would be a copyright/trademark violation and therefore illegal which would render everything not made by a third party in this specific mod of the same dubious status.

 

 

On 6/22/2019 at 9:19 AM, DOOM_X900 said:

I would literally pay for the upscale of Brutal Hexen.

 

There's around 400 new death animation sprites and there are no textures so its difficult to work with if you are not an expert here.

 

You guys have a great opportunity to make cash right now, it is difficult to achieve the same image quality as these great textures.

 

Thanks again.

 

Like I said previously, if you spend a couple minutes with a search engine you can find the basics. All it would require is for you to spend a day playing with the program until you get the forumla for the results you want.

 

Here's a brief article on how some are doing this:

https://www.extremetech.com/gaming/282695-modders-are-using-ai-to-overhaul-old-games-textures-with-gorgeous-results

 

Despite dpkonofa's gatekeeping and know it all attitude, best results still require some manual work.

Share this post


Link to post

Hello,

 

Firstly, we are not requesting to pay for any copyrighted texture upscales, we have permission to update the Brutal Hexen textures which are modded, they are not bound by copyright. So asking to pay for the Brutal Hexen upscale is perfectly legal.

 

Also dpkonofa is actually helping me through PM, there is no attitude here, dpkonofa has helped me setup the parameters aswell as hidfan.

 

If you read what were requesting you should know that were not asking to pay for any original textures, it makes no sense what you are saying.

 

Why would I ask to pay for the original textures be upscaled when there already upscaled here? The work is already done? Have you seen this work? Its all the original textures isn't it? Again you make no sense.

 

Grandgreed you should name a price per 100 textures. I'll paypal you up front. For the Brutal Hexen upscale, there are no copyrighted textures at all, it all new death animations and a few new weapons.

 

Just saying its a great opportunity to make cash for your work.

 

Thanks again.

Share this post


Link to post
23 hours ago, DOOM_X900 said:

Hello,

 

Firstly, we are not requesting to pay for any copyrighted texture upscales, we have permission to update the Brutal Hexen textures which are modded, they are not bound by copyright. So asking to pay for the Brutal Hexen upscale is perfectly legal.

 

Also dpkonofa is actually helping me through PM, there is no attitude here, dpkonofa has helped me setup the parameters aswell as hidfan.

 

If you read what were requesting you should know that were not asking to pay for any original textures, it makes no sense what you are saying.

 

Why would I ask to pay for the original textures be upscaled when there already upscaled here? The work is already done? Have you seen this work? Its all the original textures isn't it? Again you make no sense.

 

Grandgreed you should name a price per 100 textures. I'll paypal you up front. For the Brutal Hexen upscale, there are no copyrighted textures at all, it all new death animations and a few new weapons.

 

Just saying its a great opportunity to make cash for your work.

 

Thanks again.

 

Which is why I only mentioned this about the original game assets in regards to what Beezle stated.

 

Go nuts and pay a million dollars for your third party created ones...

 

Good luck with your project.

Share this post


Link to post
On 3/5/2019 at 3:41 PM, grandgreed said:

 

 

All sprites have original aspect ratio. It's a GZ bug. After removing the modified sprites, the shift still remains.

 

Hi again

 

I reported heresiarch's corpse bug to GZDoom dev team, and here is the answer:

 

issue originally reported by the OP (with the Heresiarch's death animation) is a mod bug, and is caused by the lack of the SPROFS lump

 

Concerning the offsets, what many makers of the texture packs tend to forget is a lump called SPROFS. This is used to fine tune offsets so that the cases where the automatic does not work can be handled. If you replace a sprite that's handled in here there must be a definition for the replacement because it won't be subjected to the "IWAD-only" filter anymore

 

read full disucssion here: https://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?p=1128677#p1128677

 

So, could you please fix the mod and add SPROFS lump to fix heresiarch corpse bug?

 

As I understand, not only heresiarch corpse is affected, so if you want, I can test on all corpses and give you the list of problematic monsters

 

If you have problems with reproducing, please use these steps, config and testmods: https://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?p=1126062#p1126062

 

NOTE: it's VERY important to use my config to reproduce this! Because when you say "After removing the modified sprites, the shift still remains", this is because your settings is not equal to my settings, which made correct behavior without mod and incorrect with mod

Share this post


Link to post

theleo_ua, big thanks for help. I will try to fix the bug the next time a free corridor appears. Work, home, problems, my head is spinning from everything...

If it’s not difficult for you, write down all the points that I need to do. Big thanks.

Share this post


Link to post
18 hours ago, grandgreed said:

theleo_ua, big thanks for help. I will try to fix the bug the next time a free corridor appears. Work, home, problems, my head is spinning from everything...

If it’s not difficult for you, write down all the points that I need to do. Big thanks.

Hi again

 

First thing you need to do, is to add TELEA, TELEB and TELEC sprites to the pack (both Doomsday and GZDoom)

 

Second thing is to fix heresiarch (only for GZDoom). To fix it, just create SPROFS.TXT file in \Filter\hexen folder, and add next text to this file:

 

Spoiler

SORCH0, 85, 285, thiswad
SORCI0, 97, 297, thiswad
SORCJ0, 105, 297, thiswad
SORCK0, 120, 306, thiswad
SORCL0, 141, 291, thiswad
SORCM0, 153, 297, thiswad
SORCN0, 144, 297, thiswad
SORCO0, 141, 297, thiswad
SORCP0, 141, 297, thiswad
SORCQ0, 105, 297, thiswad
SORCR0, 105, 270, thiswad
SORCS0, 105, 225, thiswad
SORCT0, 105, 159, thiswad
SORCU0, 105, 96, thiswad
SORCV0, 123, 102, thiswad
SORCW0, 159, 132, thiswad
SORCX0, 165, 147, thiswad
SORCY0, 147, 108, thiswad
SORCZ0, 105, 45, thiswad

 

this should fix heresiarch death animation offsets

 

At third, you need to understand 2 things:

 

1) How to know, which values you should write to SPROFS.TXT

2) Which heretic and hexen monsters (and which exact their sprites) are required to be added to this file (require fixing)

 

If you want to understand the process (how I did this file and where I got the numbers), I can explain

 

If you need to know, which monsters are require those fixes, I can test all monsters and tell you (or you can do it at your side, just typing "summon blablabla" and "kill monsters" in console (for example "summon heresiarch" and "kill monsters") ). Please note that ideally is to use my config for testing (you can use both your and my configs just to prove that it works on different configurations)

 

Actor names can be found there:

 

https://zdoom.org/wiki/Classes:Hexen#Minions

https://zdoom.org/wiki/Classes:Heretic#Characters

 

Please note, that this is related both to heretic and hexen. For now, I only found this bug for hexen/heresiarch, but I remember 99% that I saw another monster examples with same bug, so I will test all of them when have time

 

Please ask any questions about the process, if you need additional information

 

NOTE: sprofs.txt file are related only to GZDoom. Please don't add this file to Doomsday pack.

Share this post


Link to post

Hi there!

 

I would like to stay that you did an amazing job, man! The textures look great now. :D

 

Unfortunately, the current version doesn't work with GZDoom 4.2.4 as it gives this error message on startup:

 

image.png.d299c509221fa174b8ec3d821935485d.png

Some people have already reported this on the mod's page on Nexus Mods: https://www.nexusmods.com/hexenbeyondheretic/mods/2?tab=posts

 

Could you please fix this? Thanks in advance! ;)

Share this post


Link to post
17 hours ago, grandgreed said:

Muleke_Trairao, big thanks for info. New ver was uploaded. Sorry for that.

 

Only v2.0.3 in changelog for now - could you please post full changelog again? With all previous versions

Share this post


Link to post
On 1/10/2020 at 12:13 PM, grandgreed said:

Muleke_Trairao, big thanks for info. New ver was uploaded. Sorry for that.

No problem, man. Thanks for fixing it! :D

Share this post


Link to post

Hi again

 

Quote

v2.0.3

-Removed offsets due problem with some GZ versions

 

I recommend you to use this (maybe create separate file, so users of old GZDoom versions can avoid to use it)

 

For now, just try "summon heresiarch" and "kill monsters" and check his last frames of death animation - you will not see his corpse. So offsets file is still required

Share this post


Link to post

Anybody knows how to reach grandgreed? I sent him a PM mid-November asking for permission to use his assets in our mod but the PM status still says "unread".

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)
On 12/30/2020 at 5:09 PM, RambOrc said:

Anybody knows how to reach grandgreed? I sent him a PM mid-November asking for permission to use his assets in our mod but the PM status still says "unread".

 

Seems to be status quo for him.

 

I've been waiting for a reply to my PM since March 2019.

 

Really wish someone else would take over this project that's active so that it could be implimented for other mods and work to fix compatibility issues.

Share this post


Link to post
8 hours ago, Malice said:

 

Seems to be status quo for him.

 

I've been waiting for a reply to my PM since March 2019.

 

Really wish someone else would take over this project that's active so that it could be implimented for other mods and work to fix compatibility issues.

I helped him with some issues in neural packs and I already use neural packs in my mods. Example: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5QwAqOy7WACIixjImZwupZFq8JNBjCsp&disable_polymer=true

 

What exact issues do you have?

Share this post


Link to post
On 1/4/2021 at 11:48 PM, theleo_ua said:

I helped him with some issues in neural packs and I already use neural packs in my mods. Example: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5QwAqOy7WACIixjImZwupZFq8JNBjCsp&disable_polymer=true

 

What exact issues do you have?

 

I've been trying to get in touch with him so that the upscale textures are compatible with this widescreen HUD mod:

 

https://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=37623&hilit=hexen+widescreen

 

Among fixing the HUD it also corrects the issue of the fighters arms being cut off on the sides in 9:16 resolutions.

 

The guy that created the HUD mod told me he has no problem if others use it or alter it in any way to do so.

 

So I either need him to run the updated sprites though his upscale process or provide the steps to do so for matching results.

Share this post


Link to post

I'm not really big on hd texture packs, but i understand the appeal and massive amount of effort of these mods.

Share this post


Link to post
On 1/4/2021 at 11:48 PM, theleo_ua said:

I helped him with some issues in neural packs and I already use neural packs in my mods. Example: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5QwAqOy7WACIixjImZwupZFq8JNBjCsp&disable_polymer=true

 

What exact issues do you have?

There's also a problem with the automap when this pack is loaded.

 

Random blocks placed across it for no reason with GZDoom.

Share this post


Link to post
13 hours ago, Malice said:

There's also a problem with the automap when this pack is loaded.

 

Random blocks placed across it for no reason with GZDoom.

could you please show some screenshots?

Share this post


Link to post
On 1/21/2021 at 1:03 PM, theleo_ua said:

could you please show some screenshots?

 

Hexen:

Hexen.jpg

 

Heretic:

Heretic.jpg

Share this post


Link to post

These random blocks are the automap background. Normally they tile to give the automap the look of being drawn on parchment. Here I suppose the bug is that the engine gets confused between the background's actual size and its scaled size, so it displays at scaled size but tiles at actual size. Probably an engine bug that should be reported on the ZDoom forums.

Share this post


Link to post
18 hours ago, Gez said:

These random blocks are the automap background. Normally they tile to give the automap the look of being drawn on parchment. Here I suppose the bug is that the engine gets confused between the background's actual size and its scaled size, so it displays at scaled size but tiles at actual size. Probably an engine bug that should be reported on the ZDoom forums.

 

The problem only persists when the texture pack is loaded and not with just the vanilla WAD's so they will blame the mod and it will be a pissing match back with nothing being resolved.

 

I also run a different upscale texture packs with DOOM, HACX, Strife, etc done by other users and the problem does not occur so all signs point to this mod being the issue.

Edited by Malice

Share this post


Link to post

I went and got the neural pack, but I'm seeing this when holding the gloves or the crossbow: 2021_01.29-00_16.png.114a96e26da0216baaf9e2b2212ba88f.png

 

I'm using GZDoom and I'm not familiar with what causes this, but is it fixable on my end?

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×