Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
GooberMan

Worms In Tanks

...is the name of the huge-assed assessment I handed in last night. We had to remake Scorched Earth in 3D, but I decided it'd be more fun with a bit of a Worms twist. Except for one or two non-essential features, it's pretty much complete. Download from this location and leave some comments in this thread about it.

I have DirectX 8.1 installed and most DX programs seem to run fine for me - the problem is that Direct3D is completely broken. I have the latest drivers and all, so it appears to be some random bug which I probably can't fix unless I format and install Windows again.

Mmmmm, there are a few things in Direct3D that are broken, but as long as you treat it right and don't push it the wrong way it will behave. The thing is, I've only been using Direct3D for the past 6 months and as a result I don't have a complete understanding of it yet. Having said that, I do understand it better than almost everyone doing this course - about two or three people (out of the 45 still doing the course) are on the same level as me in regards to understanding it. I did track down a bug as to why the previous release was crashing on XP - I was setting vertex buffers to read only, and as a result the game would crash and burn when I read and modify their positions when a bomb explodes on the landscape. Hmmmz, speaking of drivers, I've gotta find me some decent OpenGL drivers for Win2K...

VERY cool. The explosions and things could use a little polishing, and an option to pick resolution/music volume and all that would be a plus. Overall I'm pretty impressed.

The game did crash on me though when one of the triple rocket things exploded. And there was a CRC error in the zip I downloaded, though that's probably me.

The explosions were a cheapo "generate particles at the effected vertex" effect. I couldn't have been bothered making better explosions at the time, so they kinda stayed there.
Did the game crash when they split in to 3 or when the 3 hit the landscape?
There is a way to change your screen resolution. Open up "config.amgos" in the root directory and you'll see two options there. There is no checking on them, so entry of anything but the standard screen resolutions (640x480, 800x600, 1024x768, etc) will result in the program not running at all.
And yeah, documentation is kinda sparse for both AMGOS itself and Worms in Tanks. There is a "docs.html" file inside the scorched directory which has some basic documentation for Worms In Tanks in it. I'll get around to writing some decent documentation soon.

Hmmmmmz, if it still crashes when it hits the ground, I'm going to have to go in to my heightfield code and work out what's going on. Everyone else's assessments have had problems with XP, and I thought I had it fixed but apparently not. I'll check it out now (at class, brought my code in with me), but if it does get fixed I won't be able to upload it for about 12 hours.

Heh, this is pretty good. All I wanna know now, is are you finished with it? or are you gonna keep working on it every now and then? With the economics system of scorched earth in, all the weapons and some AI, this would rock even more. I'd like to see that stuff. Doesn't HAVE to be there......it would be nice to see it though.

I was going to put that stuff in, but I'm not sure how much more I'll work on it now that it's been handed in and stuff...

Not sure as to whether I'll be able to continue work on it anytime soon though. End of year presentation is coming up in just under 7 weeks, and the teachers don't want to see 45 copies of Scorched Earth being shown off. I was working on a portal renderer before we were given that assessment, and I'd like to get it in a working and demonstrable state by the 29th November (well, prolly the 27th so as I can fix up any blatant fuck-ups). I'm prolly gonna dump all the code I have for it currently and rewrite it as working on Worms in Tanks has given me some ideas on how to do certain things better. Moral of the story: I dunno when more will be added to Worms in Tanks.