Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
vulcan78

Having to spend 15 minutes configuring GZDOOM every time is so much fun!

I love having to spend 15 minutes configuring GZDOOM, everything from keys, to display settings, to audio, not exaggerating 15 minutes only to find that the settings never actually save. 

Why is this an issue? 

I'm using ZDL, I don't know why this is even a problem. Seriously, this is so frustrating I just want to uninstall this shit the next time this happens. 

GZDoom should save all changes in a .ini file in the root GZDoom directory. Are you sure you haven't installed it somewhere that has locked down file writing privileges? Perhaps try just installing it to your desktop and see if that works.

It definitely shouldn't do that. The only time you should have to reconfigure is if you're using different IWADS that aren't Doom related.

I think I figured out what the issue is, I read somewhere that setting ZDL to Run as Admin may fix this issue and doing that necessitated closing and restarting ZDL. I'm not sure if it's setting ZDL to Run as Admin or the fact that I needed to close ZDL for the settings to stick. 

Fortunately for me, the second time I loaded GZDOOM via ZDL I hit Ctrl+Alt+F4 when I realized that my settings hadn't saved, thereby avoiding overwriting the settings I spent 15 minutes inputting. 

Thanks for all of the help. I don't know what it is about Doom and Doom 2, but I love them with either Brutal Doom or Project Brutality. 

I'm playing them on a 3440x1440 Ultrawide, pushed by a 1080 Ti @ 8700k (as if that matters, game is very resource light). 

One other issue I am having though is that there is some hitching going on and I can't seem to run the game unless I have frame-interpolation on. Without frame interpolation I'm at like 35 FPS (11 GPU load on both GPU and CPU). If I could get G-Sync going with this that would be great but I don't think it's going to happen with the frame-interpolation option. 

Also, does anyone know if there is an IDFKA music mod for Doom 2? I will probably make it through Doom again in short order and will want to move on to 2. 

Any recommendations for other entries? 

I also have Final Doom / Plutonia.wad, is that any good? 

Thanks for all of the help and advice!!!!!

3 hours ago, vulcan78 said:

One other issue I am having though is that there is some hitching going on and I can't seem to run the game unless I have frame-interpolation on. Without frame interpolation I'm at like 35 FPS (11 GPU load on both GPU and CPU). If I could get G-Sync going with this that would be great but I don't think it's going to happen with the frame-interpolation option.

The game runs internally at 35 Hz, so you'll get 35 FPS. Frame interpolation gets rid of that limit. I'm not sure what's your problem with G-Sync? The game should be able to reach pretty high framerates if that's what you want, especially with a system like that.

3 hours ago, vulcan78 said:

I also have Final Doom / Plutonia.wad, is that any good? 

Plutonia is considered a very good WAD, TNT not so much, but it's still worth checking out at least.

TNT has some awesome maps like Stronghold.

Anyway wtf does ctrl+alt+f4 do?

4 hours ago, KVELLER said:

The game runs internally at 35 Hz, so you'll get 35 FPS. Frame interpolation gets rid of that limit. I'm not sure what's your problem with G-Sync? The game should be able to reach pretty high framerates if that's what you want, especially with a system like that.

Plutonia is considered a very good WAD, TNT not so much, but it's still worth checking out at least.

Thanks for the advice, yeah I've already played the first 3-4 levels of Plutonia, coming from Doom 1 and 2 with the custom soundtracks (IDFKA etc.) the first thing I noticed was the original music. They are good maps, but on the harder side on the higher difficulty settings, not that I mind that. 

4 hours ago, VGA said:

TNT has some awesome maps like Stronghold.

Anyway wtf does ctrl+alt+f4 do?

I'm using a program called SuperF4 that will kill any process via Ctrl+Alt+F4. I have a handful of games that are tedious to get out of, i.e. navigating 4-5 or more menus to exit and Alt+F4 doesn't work. SuperF4 fixes that and I've just gotten in the habit of pressing that when I want to end a game or program quickly. 

https://stefansundin.github.io/superf4/

Argh, ask somebody for the gzdoom config and edit it as you like, write .bat file that runs the gzdoom and the config and run it... This way I sometime used for playing Zdoom 2.8.1 on win98se

That don't sound rigth, with Zandromium im getting more than the 35@fps that go with Doom that also including more fps smoth wads like smoothdoom or brutal doom. If you don't fixed maybe i can share you my config.