Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
dmslr

[Poll] Do you still play wads with brutal doom?

Title  

125 members have voted

1. 1. Title

• Yes, often
    • Yes, from time to time
    • No, I've had enough of BD
    • No, I've never played with it

I built my channel up initially on Brutal Doom starting around February 2011 through mid 2014, officially ended its use January 2015 as I built up my own similar mod called Random Deaths & Decoration. I just stopped caring about Brutal Doom and its offshoots like Project Brutality.

How the mod still has relevancy or appeal in 2019, I don't know.

9 hours ago, Woolie Wool said:

Brutal Doom just strikes me as Doom for people who like the idea of Doom, but don't really like Doom itself.

I have the same perception. And judging by what I've seen, some BD fans seem to be solely interested in the mod and not the games themselves. At least that seems to be the case with the classics.

By the way, I'm getting pretty tired of seeing people attacking the author. He might have done what he's done, but it's baffling how there doesn't seem to be any difference between the author and their work these days. I see this with artists more often than I'd like too. "What? The guy's an idiot/racist/whatever-you-want-here?" == "His work must be junk too."

Brutal Doom was pretty fun experience but as I got better at playing vanilla, I started to feel that Brutal Doom is not for me. I feel that it is too chaotic and random, making it less satisfying to play and it just breaks some maps as a skill based experience. I do also feel that playing Brutal Doom is harmful to player's vanilla doom skills. I have learned that I like more classic feeling gameplay mods than mods like BD that make doom almost like a completely different game with massive changes to basic gameplay. Brutal Doom is also just pretty bloated and needs better hardware to run well that are also things that I don't like. 

For me, Complex Doom has replaced Brutal Doom as the mod that I play when I sometimes want something else than classic vanilla.

sometimes but i think i've had enough of it for now. if i play it, i disable the reload on all weapons. but then still, it's just very loud and noisy, plus the screenshake. it's just more exhausting to play than the vanilla game.

i tend to stick with the bolognese.wad. but even there i had to make small adjustments to the hit sounds. well, i removed them entirely, because they overlapped with the weapons sounds which created a completely different feel. i have set it so that it sounds like vanilla but with more blood and gore. there are still the dripping sounds from blood on the ceiling and stuff. but other than that it's vanilla.

7 hours ago, Agent6 said:

By the way, I'm getting pretty tired of seeing people attacking the author. He might have done what he's done, but it's baffling how there doesn't seem to be any difference between the author and their work these days. I see this with artists more often than I'd like too. "What? The guy's an idiot/racist/whatever-you-want-here?" == "His work must be junk too."

I mean, people are free to dislike a mod for whatever reason they want. If Sgt. Mark IV's shitty behavior is reason enough for his mod to leave a bad taste in their mouth (especially in cases directly related to Brutal Doom, such as the "real gore" addon or racist jokes directly in the code's comments), it's relevant to the thread, IMO.

11 minutes ago, TheMightyHeracross said:

I mean, people are free to dislike a mod for whatever reason they want. If Sgt. Mark IV's shitty behavior is reason enough for his mod to leave a bad taste in their mouth (especially in cases directly related to Brutal Doom, such as the "real gore" addon or racist jokes directly in the code's comments), it's relevant to the thread, IMO.

Agreed, they can dislike it for whatever reason they have, just like me, and if the author contributes or contributed to its reputation or quality in the way you mentioned it's fair and deserved, for better or worse.

My point was that it is often not the case these days, when there's no more distinction between the author and their craft and the way some people draw conclusions or make their minds about something, by directly looking at the person who was responsible for it but maybe not even taking a look at what they have created.

I was, at one point, a long time ago, a hardcore fan of Brutal Doom. Brutal Doom wasn't what got me into Doom (I can't remember what did), but I used to play most mods with Brutal Doom. That was, however, until I found out about some of the things that Mark has said about and to people.

I'm just gonna get this out of the way: The final nail in the coffin was when I found out that a long time ago, Mark told an extremely depressed user on ZDoom Forums to kill himself and even gave him a tutorial on how to do so.

Encouraging someone to kill themselves is never a good thing, and even joking about it is very bad.

If anyone reading my post has been considering suicide, PLEASE DO NOT! There are people who care about you and would be really sad to see you go. Talk to a friend or family member who loves you about how you feel. There should also be a local phone number for a Suicide Hotline that you would be able to call.

I will never forget Chester Bennington of Linkin Park fame. I loved his singing, and when I found out that he killed himself the day after it happened... I cried for hours.

8 hours ago, crazyflyingdonut said:

I will never forget Chester Bennington of Linkin Park fame. I loved his singing, and when I found out that he killed himself the day after it happened... I cried for hours.

And people showed how retarded they are as well. I remember seeing tons of people making comments like "good" and "who cares" back when it happened, guess they succumbed to a new all-time low.

12 hours ago, crazyflyingdonut said:

I'm just gonna get this out of the way: The final nail in the coffin was when I found out that a long time ago, Mark told an extremely depressed user on ZDoom Forums to kill himself and even gave him a tutorial on how to do so.

God damn. I just heard that said user was a regular kid on the forums arguing with Mark, but a depressed person? That's going too far. And if that's true, then Mark truly is a pathetic and disgusting individual.

21 hours ago, Agent6 said:

My point was that it is often not the case these days, when there's no more distinction between the author and their craft and the way some people draw conclusions or make their minds about something, by directly looking at the person who was responsible for it but maybe not even taking a look at what they have created. 

If someone doesn't like Brutal Doom solely because Mark is a neo-Nazi, that's their prerogative and there should be zero stipulations attached to it. A person is more important than the art they make.

Not quite like I used too, though I really love playing it and Project Brutality. Its come a long way from the earlier versions and I love Sarge's dedication to it. I'm not tired or bored of it, but I find myself playing Vanilla Doom and mods that enhance Doom but leave Vanilla style gameplay intact like Random Deaths And Decorations, Enhanced Vanilla Project, and Beautiful Doom.