Rev3n4nt

Faithful Doom mod (APR 2021)

image.png.a0bcb032fad1afa63e2b85594cbfaa98.png

Project: Faithful Doom

Author: Farid Kemyakov (aka 'Rev3n4nt')
Email: rev3n4nt@gmail.com
Compatibility: Requires GZDoom 3.2.5 to 4.1.0
Latest Version & Release Date: Check GAMEINFO in the mod package
Download: GitHub | [Google Drive](Old, updates pending)

About the Mod:

Faithful Doom is a Doom & Doom 2 mod focused on enhancing the classic gameplay experience. Our main goal is to preserve the original Doom atmosphere while introducing Neural Upscaled Smooth animation sprites for weapons, items, and monsters. This project aims to double frame rates and pixel density without exceeding 2x resolution, ensuring that enhancements do not compromise the game's iconic feel.

Key Features:

• Enhanced Effects: High-resolution animations and textures, improving the visual experience while keeping the classic Doom style.
  • Neural Upscaled Sprites: Smooth and detailed sprite animations for an immersive gaming experience.
  • Exclusive Compatibility: Designed for ZDoom / GZDoom (latest version), not compatible with Brutal Doom or other ports like Zandronum.

F.A.Q.

• Brutal Doom Compatibility: Not compatible with Brutal Doom.
  • Port Compatibility: This is a ZDoom/GZDoom exclusive mod and will not work with other ports.
  • Main Goal: To enhance the original Doom experience with minor improvements and optional additions.

How to Launch:

1. GZDoom Version: Requires GZDoom 3.2.5 to 4.1.0.
  2. Download & Install: Download the mod from the provided GitHub link.
  3. Optional Texture Enhancements: Load a compatible texture pack before FaithfulDoom.pk3 for improved textures.

Behind the Scenes:

• Upscaling Techniques: Combining XBRZ and Waifu Neural Network (GAN) for high-quality upscaling.
  • Sprite Sources: A combination of original and external sprites from various mods.

Sample Changes

giphy.gif

Main Goal

Preserving and enhancing the original Doom's look and feel with high-quality, upscaled graphics.

Status

Check our forum or GitHub page for the latest updates.

Credits and Sources

• Rev3n4nt: HD sprite work & rework, sprite animation, Zscript & Decorate coding for Faithful Doom.
  • kcghost: Neural upscale converting scripts & sprites sourced from SmoothDoom (version 2019-08-31).
  • Gifty: Creator of the Smooth Doom mod, contributing to content and inspiration.
  • Jekyll Grim Payne aka Agent_Ash: Creator of the Beautiful Doom mod, contributing to content and inspiration.
  • hidfan: Original Doom Neural Upscale 2X sprites & textures.
  • Perkristian: Basis for smooth weapons animation sprites; Doom HD sound pack included in the mod.
  • Sergeant Mark IV: Brutal Doom sprites and coding, including ceiling & floor bullet decals.
  • Z86: Spritework contributions for weapons.
  • Blox: Spritework contributions for weapons.

Edited by Rev3n4nt : better explained

So this actually works with Neural Upscale? That's awesome man, I tried it with Beautiful Doom 6.3.2 but there was some conflicts, explosions for example, nothing huge but you could sometimes notice the conflicts. Looking forward to playing this:)

Playing it so far... it needs a lot of work. The pistol firing seems OK... but everything else seems poorly animated. Take a look at something like fraggle's smooth vanilla weapons and copy the frames/offsets/animations from that version. It will look a whole lot better.

2 hours ago, Beezle said:

So this actually works with Neural Upscale? That's awesome man, I tried it with Beautiful Doom 6.3.2 but there was some conflicts, explosions for example, nothing huge but you could sometimes notice the conflicts. Looking forward to playing this:)

That was intended to be played with Neural Upscale :) Beautiful Doom & Smooth Doom both are using new sprite names, and I did my mod more compatible with vanilla.

2 hours ago, Scuba Steve said:

Playing it so far... it needs a lot of work. The pistol firing seems OK... but everything else seems poorly animated. Take a look at something like fraggle's smooth vanilla weapons and copy the frames/offsets/animations from that version. It will look a whole lot better.

So far it is very raw mod. I used same Perkristian's inter-frames as "Beautiful Doom", "Smooth Doom", and I believe "Vanilla Doom smooth weapons" as well.

Anyway I'll check that mod as well and try to calibrate my frames. Thanks :)

Updated:

Added more mid frames for weapons: BFG, Plasmagun, Super Shotgun.

Also added hd mid-frames for BFG, Plasmagun , Chaingun & Super Shotgun

Rocket launcher frames are glitchy from doom original sprites, so I'm going to fix this with rewriting original sprites.

Plasmagun have some shake in shooting frames, will fix that soon.

Currently all HD mid-frames are made with Waifu2x, ScalerTest & GIMP, using method described by MrFlibble.

Doom 2 Minor Sprite Fix is dehacked type of mod, so it's not compatible with Doom Neural Upscale 2X mod & Faithful Doom mod as well. So Maybe I'll try to convert it into decorate type and include fixes into Faithful Doom mod.

The bullet tracers part got me really excited, as now (afaik) there is no decent mod that adds bullet tracers to both enemies and the player without breaking the core mechanics of the game. Are you planning bullet tracers to be something that calculates bullets from scratch or just an visual effect that calculates after the hitscan to stick to original? Personally i'd appreciate if you stick with the original route. Im looking for something like that for a long time.

I'm going to upload updates here and then, at least once a month.

On 2/13/2019 at 4:45 PM, xanrer said:

The bullet tracers part got me really excited, as now (afaik) there is no decent mod that adds bullet tracers to both enemies and the player without breaking the core mechanics of the game. Are you planning bullet tracers to be something that calculates bullets from scratch or just an visual effect that calculates after the hitscan to stick to original? Personally i'd appreciate if you stick with the original route. Im looking for something like that for a long time.

I was planning to add bullet tracers after finishing with animations for weapons + HD version. Cool idea to add bullet tracers to both enemies and the player, but probably it's easier just to add visual part of it. For calculating bullet tracers to stick into original bullet hole spots, it might work if it will be calculated in sync, I'll try to look how to make that. Calculating bullets from scratch will require good programming skills(which i don't have) so it wouldn't glitch every frame.

Also, what you mean exactly by saying ?

On 2/13/2019 at 4:45 PM, xanrer said:

..without breaking the core mechanics of the game.

If you have some mods to compare with, please note which one and what part of it :D

4 hours ago, Rev3n4nt said:

I was planning to add bullet tracers after finishing with animations for weapons + HD version.

I have time :p

Also another thing i completely forgot to ask, do planning on adding bullet holes on ground?

4 hours ago, Rev3n4nt said:

If you have some mods to compare with, please note which one and what part of it :D

If you play with them you will instantly understand what i mean by these:

Funny as is this is a example of really bad one that changes all the calculation.
Or this could count as a really bad example as well for the same reason.

Belmondo tracers (adds tracers for enemies only) mod can be a iffy thing though it actually lefts the original calculation it actually added it a extra speed factor (as far as i understood) so if you change the speed factor to something close to instant it does the work however that is not 100% accurate so for purists this is not a good solution either.

"DOOM but little better" mod by DOODguy is a good example for tracers but a bad one for calculations. The reason i said that is the mod changes the whole bullet calculation but its not for tracers, the tracers are still completely random (pistol and chaingun are straight and the rest is random)

What "Beautiful doom" did was also can be an solution (i couldn't find if they changed the normal calculation of pistol like weapons so i assume they didn't) instead of changing the whole calculation they added tracers that goes to random places that has nothing to do with where the bullet goes and keep the original bullet calculation intact

So simply if a mod makes the bullet wait for the tracer to hit somewhere thats a instant nono and if you look at these examples you will see that only with "doom but better" and "beautiful doom" actually hitscans and adds a tracer afterwards just as a effect but the rest is actually waiting for tracer to hit something.

Overall everything im so happy you are doing this project i been waiting for someone to do this kind of big scaled project for a long time, thank you for your response and thank you for putting yout time and effort into this project!

On 2/24/2019 at 3:09 AM, Rev3n4nt said:

I'm going to upload updates here and then, at least once a month.

I was planning to add bullet tracers after finishing with animations for weapons + HD version. Cool idea to add bullet tracers to both enemies and the player, but probably it's easier just to add visual part of it. For calculating bullet tracers to stick into original bullet hole spots, it might work if it will be calculated in sync, I'll try to look how to make that. Calculating bullets from scratch will require good programming skills(which i don't have) so it wouldn't glitch every frame.

Also, what you mean exactly by saying ?

Could you make an option to have it change the gameplay? I've always despised hitscan of any kind and that would be really cool to get rid of it.

Is this mod free to use in other stuff? I'd like to use the sprites in beautiful doom to cut down on the work I would have to do to upscale.

Released version 0.3:

Added fixed Rocket_launcher sprites + HD version (no more muzzle-flash glitches)
    Added Fist sprites & sound (as it should've been in vanilla), but I'll probably make fix on it soon.
    Added missing Super Shotgun HD mid-frames.

Up next: I'll fix plasmagun shooting frames, add chainsaw, and HD sprites for the rest of the weapons.

After that I'll start work on bullet tracers & shell casings (& maybe liquids as well) :)

On 2/24/2019 at 8:02 PM, xanrer said:

Also another thing i completely forgot to ask, do planning on adding bullet holes on ground?

If i'll find a way to make it, or someone did already - yes. I'm mostly refabrishing whats already was made, just making it all more authentic to vanilla

On 2/24/2019 at 8:02 PM, xanrer said:

Overall everything im so happy you are doing this project i been waiting for someone to do this kind of big scaled project for a long time, thank you for your response and thank you for putting yout time and effort into this project!

You're welcome :) I'm glad that there are people interested in project that I make.

22 hours ago, lumbo7332 said:

Could you make an option to have it change the gameplay? I've always despised hitscan of any kind and that would be really cool to get rid of it.

I can make that optional, hitscan based or not. I'll see what I can do when I'll start working on bullet tracers.

22 hours ago, lumbo7332 said:

Is this mod free to use in other stuff? I'd like to use the sprites in beautiful doom to cut down on the work I would have to do to upscale.

It's free mod. I mentioned in description and credits, that mod is based on Beautiful Doom & Smooth Doom mods, sprites of which was based on Perkristian sprite mod back from 2009 or so :) Of course sprites were changed many times by many, and Perkristian sprites were based on Doom Vanilla version. I took sprites from Beautiful Doom & Smooth Doom, upscaled them 2X with Waifu2X Neural Network & partially from Topaz A.I. Gigapixel, mixed it with HD sprites from Doom Neural Upscale 2X mod (which are Upscale 2X from original only) and got results in my HD pack :) So feel free to add my HD sprites as separate pack for Beautiful Doom or any other mod, just don't forget to mention me as author in credits ;)

Why I didn't made HD neural network sprites for Beautiful Doom in first place? Because it had many drastic changes from vanilla and looks overcomplicated. So either cut a lot from it, or start piece by piece my own mod. I chose second option, because that way I can see "full picture" & have more control over changes and keep it more authentic :)

2 hours ago, Rev3n4nt said:

If i'll find a way to make it, or someone did already - yes. I'm mostly refabrishing whats already was made, just making it all more authentic to vanilla

Brutal doom does, by counting bullet holes at the ceiling and ground as entities. It may effect performance if not done well though.

I hope the mods i showed you before helped you in one way or another.

8 hours ago, lumbo7332 said:

Are you putting this on GitHub?

Yes, after I finish with weapons and start with bullet tracers. Now contains mostly sprites and code to work, for bullet tracers, and later items and monster it'll require mode code I think.

7 hours ago, xanrer said:

Brutal doom does, by counting bullet holes at the ceiling and ground as entities. It may effect performance if not done well though.

Nice! Probably I can just use it with entity limit in menu for performance issues.

For now I'll just make bullet tracers as in Beautiful Doom & Brutal Doom bullet holes and see how it goes from there.

Released version 0.4:

--    Ported weapons code to ZScript
--    Added Bullet Tracers, aim exactly at the same place where the hitscan bullet hits, + option Faithful Doom Settings
--    Added alternative sounds for Enhanced weaponset
--    Added empty casings

After this version I'll move into GitHub for dev builds & tests
Latest versions still will be available on GDrive.

Known issues:
--    Plasmagun shooting frames are too shaky, I'll try to find better animation
--    Missing HD sprites for the weapons

--    Sounds and anims for chainsaw & fist are a bit off

Up next:
--    Add items smooth animations & sounds
--    Smooth animations for liquids(water, blood, e.t.c. )
--    Chainsaw & fist animation & sounds might be changed
--    Bullet marks on floor & ceilings
--    Gore mod better support with smooth monsters, or make my own(modify)

Questionable:(should I do it?)
--    Remove wall effects (currently have issues: ricochets, extra puffs and so), which was not in vanilla. Wall marks will be available
--    Add for weapons clip\magazine: Pistol, Shotgun, RocketLauncher, Plasmagun, BFG in Enhanced weaponset
--    Create from "Doom 2 Minor Sprite Fix"mod, code based port to ZScript(if possible). Reminder: "Doom 2 Minor Sprite Fix" is dehacked type of mod & contains fixed offsets for images, so it's not compatible with "Faithful Doom" mod & "Doom Neural Upscale 2X" mod as well.

Main file only. Gzdoom 64bit (latest version) with no other mods, crash at start:

Script error, "FDoom04.pk3:zscript" line 4:
Include script lump ZScripts/bd_main.zc not found
Script error, "FDoom04.pk3:zscript" line 6:
Include script lump ZScripts/bd_weapon.zc not found

Execution could not continue.

2 errors while parsing FDoom04.pk3:zscript

Sorry for that.
Also not about the mod but i think i found a glitch in the site that makes me able make the text alot smaller than it should ever be.

Edited by xanrer

On 4/1/2019 at 4:25 PM, xanrer said:

Main file only. Gzdoom 64bit (latest version) with no other mods, crash at start:

Sorry for that.
Also not about the mod but i think i found a glitch in the site that makes me able make the text alot smaller than it should ever be.

Yeah I'm having this same problem, loading it with neural upscale and bolognese in the order it lists it. Doesn't matter which version of GZDoom, it always crashes:(

Hey rev im here for a suggestion, since you are doing all these cool stuff to make the game more smooth and modern, why not making the title screens/end screens widescreen (16:9/10) or whatever that 21:9 thing called? Also scaling up all the fonts and smoothing the spookathor at the title screen next to your selection? ok maybe this last part is a bit too much but it would be really cool to have widescreen title screen.

On 4/2/2019 at 3:25 AM, xanrer said:

Seems that I uploaded bit unfinished version. ReUploaded - Now it should be ok.

On 4/5/2019 at 3:28 AM, xanrer said:

Hey rev im here for a suggestion, since you are doing all these cool stuff to make the game more smooth and modern, why not making the title screens/end screens widescreen (16:9/10) or whatever that 21:9 thing called?

There is a Force aspect ratio in Video settings to 16:9, and other settings. And there is a good titlepics that can be replaced by from internet. However if you want it to be automatically loaded that is different thing. There can be code part for that, or maybe just I'll find and adjust new image, so it will be widescreen, but for lower modes it'll be cropped.

On 4/5/2019 at 3:28 AM, xanrer said:

Also scaling up all the fonts and smoothing the spookathor at the title screen next to your selection?

Fonts are already upscaled in NeuralUpscale2x, but they might be a bit dirty. It's a lot of work with images to make a new font from existing images, and to put it back together, so It'll look better. Maybe later, after monsters & items.

Edited by Rev3n4nt : misspelled words

Released version 0.5:

--    Added monsters hd version for 8-side rotate sprites (unfinished)
--    Added items hd version with smooth sprites (unfinished)
--    Fixed Filtering for HIRES on FDOOM_HD
--    Added some sprites & ported code from "Doom 2 Minor Sprite Fix"mod ( I converted dehacked to ZScript). contains fixed offsets for images.

This version is also on GitHub, for future dev builds & tests
Latest versions still will be available on GDrive.

Known issues:
--    Plasmagun shooting frames are too shaky, I'll try to find better animation
--    Missing HD sprites for the weapons
--    DB Shotgun blinks

Up next(in next releases):
--    Bullet marks on floor & ceilings
--    Bullet effects (ricochets, smoke puffs)
--    finish HD items smooth animations frames
--    Smooth animations for liquids(water, blood, e.t.c. )
--    Chainsaw & fist animation & sounds might be changed
--    Gore mod better support with smooth monsters, or make my own(modify)

Should I add new weaponset type "Modern"?:
Add for weapons clip\magazine: Pistol, Shotgun, RocketLauncher, Plasmagun, BFG.

20 hours ago, xanrer said:

Soo how's it going?

As you can see it's fine :) Still need to fix some glitches and add HD mid-frames.

5 minutes ago, Rev3n4nt said:

Should I add new weaponset type "Modern"?:
Add for weapons clip\magazine: Pistol, Shotgun, RocketLauncher, Plasmagun, BFG.

What do you mean by that?

8 minutes ago, xanrer said:

What do you mean by that?

For now there is "Vanilla" & "Enhanced" weaponset (can change in options)

I can add one more weaponset "Modern", with reloading for every weapon. For example: Pistol will have ammo clips, semi-auto mode. And so other weapons will have reloading & clip\magazine.

Oooh thats what you mean. Yeah if you ask me it could be a good addition, i mean if you ask me your faithfuldoom will be one of the most used/liked mods as it develops further, you know like smoothdoom, beautifuldoom, brutaldoom, etc.

In fact when you're on it you may even complete what Per Kristian has started.

2 minutes ago, xanrer said:

Oooh thats what you mean. Yeah if you ask me it could be a good addition, i mean if you ask me your faithfuldoom will be one of the most used/liked mods as it develops further, you know like smoothdoom, beautifuldoom, brutaldoom, etc.

In fact when you're on it you may even complete what Per Kristian has started.

Well, smoothdoom, beautifuldoom, brutaldoom are using Per Kristian's mid-frame sprites, or their variations :) Of course I use some of them too.

What you mean by "complete what Per Kristian has started." ? If you're about sounds, I just added some from other mods for extra "umf";)

For now I'm just trying to make Doom look like "it meant to look", by adding x2 hd mid-frame sprites & some code for common sense :)

3 hours ago, Rev3n4nt said:

For now I'm just trying to make Doom look like "it meant to look", by adding x2 hd mid-frame sprites & some code for common sense :)

I am completely avare of that, what i mean't was after you done with most of the graphical work, it would be awesome if you completed perkristian's hq sound project its sadly haven't got finished fully.

I strongly believe this will be the best doom overhaul mod in the feature, so please don't give up even though its not getting enough attention at this stage.

For long time no news) I'm still working on this mod. Currently working on:

--    Bullet marks on floor & ceilings (from Brutal Doom)
--    Bullet effects (ricochets, smoke puffs)
--    Smooth animations for liquids(water, blood, e.t.c. )

+ changing some old effects

It's been a long time)
Finally releasing update & fix for my mod:

--    Rewrote & refactored almost all Decorate code into Zscript;(That's why it took so long)
--    Added ceiling & floor bullet mark decals;
--    Fixed Plasmagun animation sequence;
--    Fixed Super Shotgun animation sequence;

For next time I hope I'll release
--    Bullet effects & casings for monsters;
--    Smooth animations for liquids(water, blood, e.t.c. )

Next mod release will be probably in month or two.

OH MY, that is great! sorry for getting here late i sometimes forget checking doomworld because this is the only project im actively follow, everything is perfect! Though maybe you should find other shotgun sounds for the alternative, its kind of like muffled compare to other guns. Also are you planing on allowing more customization like disableing the alternative holly secret sound or the spark after bullets hitting a surface, i kind of found it bit too detailed would be awesome to close it. Regardless aside from that this definitely became one of my daily doom mods.

Also im sure you are aware of this but shooting shooting the very top of the wall (maybe like 20 pixels) doesn't make bullet hole on the wall instead makes them on the ceiling shooting around 25 pixels makes hole both on the wall and the ceiling, i once asked this to Sergeant Mark IV and he said its impossible to fix right now. But hey im just informing. Keep up the great work!

Edit: oh yeah here is another idea, punching walls makes sound, don't remember which mod i saw that one before but not a bad idea for sure.

Edited by xanrer : addition