wheresthebeef

Stimpack or Health Bonus

Stimpack or Health Bonus?  

49 members have voted

1. 1. Stimpack or Health Bonus?

• Grab Stimpack then Health Bonus
    • Grab Health Bonus and save Stimpack for later
    • Leave both

You have just finished slaughtering a number of poor demons in a room you entered only moments ago, only this time there's an issue.

Some stupid demon somehow got a lucky hit on you and did a paltry 3 damage to your health.

As you scan the room you eventually find some healing items underneath the myriad of demon guts and blood.

You are at 97% health and you have a choice to make.

There are three health bonuses and one stimpack.

You sit for a moment and ponder: Do I grab the stimpack first and then the health bonuses and overcharge my health by 3, grab the health bonus to max my health out and return to the stimpack if I need it later, or leave them all there for later?

VYiTebk.png

This scenario happens to me quite often when playing Doom and I'm curious as to what others choose in this situation. I typically use the stimpack first and then overcharge my health.

Edited by wheresthebeef

Grab the bonuses to hit 100%, then come back for the extra 10% if you need it later

Grabs the Health Potions. Rationing is probably my golden rule in Doom, I learned that from playing a WAD called Pizza Steve and I will thoroughly save that one dropped clip from a zombie man or that Stimpack only when I need it the most. It's also an OCD thingy and a matter of efficiency.

I've been <10% before and begging for a stimpack. Arguably Doom is at its tense best when you are doing a no quicksave run and you make it to that one solitary stimpack you knew you left for just that purpose.

I might leave both of them there to see if there's any other health types in the level. I'm OCD about my HP and want to keep it as perfect as possible.

Grab Stimpack then Health Bonus if the map is easy since you are not coming back anyways, otherwise save every HP you can.

1 hour ago, Juza said:

I'd rather not backtrack only for 10% hp

You might need all the health you can get though, if the next encounter or two ruins your shit after getting back to full health. 11% health is better than 1% or even 4%.

9 minutes ago, Gaia74 said:

I did not even notice what i am taking

lol I really hope you never get sick or injured irl.

14 minutes ago, EarthQuake said:

Haphazardly walk over all of them and not fucking care. I have shit to kill.

I really thought about adding a "Pick up two bonuses, then the stimpack, and then the final health bonus all on accident" option

3 hours ago, iori said:

Grab the bonuses to hit 100%, then come back for the extra 10% if you need it later

At 97 health, just leave both. Grab only when needed like if you are dying. When the map is cleared, your priority should always be:

1) Medkits and stimpacks, or Berserk

2) Soulsphere or Megasphere

3) Health and armor bonuses

This allows you to get as close to 100 health as possible, or at 100. The powerups boost you up to 200, or potentially lower if a Soulsphere. Finally the bonuses will push you up as high as possible after everything else is taken.

Stimpak then the 3 bonuses just to get over 100. The closer to 200, the better. If it was a medkit, I wouldn't take it until I was at 80 HP or below.

My judgment is probably colored by the fact that the screenshot is E1M1, but I think in many cases I would sit there in agony over the decision before ultimately getting myself to 103. But if the level has seemed hard and/or there are cues that I might come back here (e.g. locked door), I would probably save it all. I would almost never grab the bonuses.

Leave both, continue meticulously avoiding health bonuses through the entire level, backtrack after reaching the exit and get yourself to 200%, exit, then end up reduced to 100% ten seconds into the next level.

It depends on how difficult the mapset is. If it's easy, I'll just overcharge. Otherwise, I'll skip it for now and try to see what's ahead. If I feel like I'm starting to stray too far away from them I'll generally go back to pick them up and then move on.

11 hours ago, Impie said:

lol I really hope you never get sick or injured irl.

in the game xD, not in the real life xD jajajajajaja xD

I change my mind. I always grab the stimpack then health bonus almost everytime I play Doom. I barely even think about how difficult the next rooms are going to be.

Stimpack then health bonus. 103 hp puts me out of the kill range of many attacks that'd finish me off at 100 hp. 97 vs 100 on the other hand: not so much. Most attacks deal damage in multiples of 5 so might as well pretend the 95 hp I have are 100 hp unless there are more health bonuses ahead; At which point why not  pick the stimpack and try to get 101+ hp anyway. I'll only pick random health bonuses if my health is 1 point below the next 5 increment and never touch any when my health is above 195. 

If there are cybers I'll try to max out regardless, Don't want to die to splash damage that I might've survived with tiny amounts of health left if I picked everything. 

Edit : I forgot about barons\mancubi dealing damage in multiples of 8. Seeing as 96 is the closest 8 multiple to 100 I'll start trying to have 97 hp instead of 96, well the question was about 97 hp so my answer remains the same to it. I feel ashamed having never looked up revenants melee damage (multiples of 6) and pinkies (multiples of 4, almost never hits). So if the map is heavy on melee combat I'll try to play around those too.. None of these factors armor of course (generally green armor) which makes damage harder to anticipate and maxing out the -best- option (Of course if doing continuous play and not new to a mapset you'll know how much health you can get away with and can play around them, but that defeats the point of the thread). I fully ignored imps because I don't care about their attack at all. Am not gonna pick health bonuses to fix multiples of 3 then find myself fixing a multiple of 6\8 anyway.

Edited by Pegg