Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Blind Joe Death

Tinder: have you used it? Do you recommend it?

18 hours ago, Jimmy said:

Just because I got bitten with curiosity, I logged back in again for the first time in months, did some swiping... found a lady with a few overlapping interests, got matched... then almost straight away got "unmatched". Cool.

I'm a big baby when it comes to social rejection, so I've deleted all of my dating apps now and I'm just gonna try and put it completely out of mind. This shit's poison in my life if I dwell on it. And besides, what's the point in futilely reaching for the unreachable? Clearly this isn't working.

Fuck other people. Other people can't bring love into your life if you don't even love yourself first. I need some time to work on that.

*places his hands atop Jimmy's head, says a weird chant in a language that probably died a long time ago and sucks all of Jimmy's negative energy out through his scalp*

There’s a lot of fear-mongering in this thread. Where I am in age and locale literally everyone who’s been single in the last 5 years has tried Tinder without getting dismembered or feeling any sort of shame. I can’t imagine someone hiding their Tinder usage either or someone trying to ridicule another for it, it would come off the same as 10 year old ridiculing someone for talking to girls.

There is one Tinder story I heard that was bad to be fair, way back in the beginning I knew a girl who hooked up with a guy on it and he stole her credit cards from her wallet. But that could have happened if she took someone home from a bar also. In the end, credit cards are replaceable and people are going to casually hook up whether an app brokers it or not.

Bots and offshore phishers are obvious so I’m not sure how anyone even falls for them. Plus Tinder has been doing a good job shutting them down.

19 hours ago, insertwackynamehere said:

There’s a lot of fear-mongering in this thread. Where I am in age and locale literally everyone who’s been single in the last 5 years has tried Tinder without getting dismembered or feeling any sort of shame. I can’t imagine someone hiding their Tinder usage either or someone trying to ridicule another for it, it would come off the same as 10 year old ridiculing someone for talking to girls.

There is one Tinder story I heard that was bad to be fair, way back in the beginning I knew a girl who hooked up with a guy on it and he stole her credit cards from her wallet. But that could have happened if she took someone home from a bar also. In the end, credit cards are replaceable and people are going to casually hook up whether an app brokers it or not.

Bots and offshore phishers are obvious so I’m not sure how anyone even falls for them. Plus Tinder has been doing a good job shutting them down.

Nah, I don't think anyone was shaming anyone using dating apps. Just sharing experiences, unfortunately, yeah, there seem to be more negative than positive experiences in this thread. Doesn't have to mean anything though. 

Personally, I am out of everything. If it's meant to happen then it is going to happen. I don't see any reason to bother with all that jazz. People have expectations, which is understandable and common but I don't want to be someone who fulfills expectations or writes ads like I am trying sell myself. I just want to be me and that's all. I have realized that living for someone else or trying to fulfill someone else's expectations makes me become depressed and unhappy. 

Don't get me wrong, a partner can be great, and if you have the possibilities then go for it. It's just me who's had enough of the shananigans lol. 

20 hours ago, insertwackynamehere said:

There’s a lot of fear-mongering in this thread.

Bots and offshore phishers

You had a great preface.

Here's a horror story for ya'all... the man who would disappear and leave his dates with the check.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/09/07/us/california-dine-and-dash-additional-charges/index.html

People thought he was charming. Most con men / con women / dick bags are nice, kind and sweet. There's a tipping point. It's far easier to be nice, kind and sweet to get what you want. People let their guard down, making it easier. Plus, some people just want to believe that there are nice people out there. Just as others want to believe that 99% of the world is out there to hurt them.

Anything is possible in this world. That's random luck with online dating, offline dating, having friends, even having pets, dealing with anything at all.

I'm ugly, so Tinder doesn't work for me. Tried it though for a short while, uninstalled it soon after. Found my current partner on a normal dating website. Downside is she lives in Hong Kong and I'm in the Netherlands.

I used OkCupid for a while. I don't know that I'll go on it again since it's changed a lot in the last year or so, getting rid of a lot of why I used it. I haven't used Tinder.

There were a lot of duds. Meet someone once, or maybe twice, and then never see them again. I think that's most of what online dating is, honestly. There were also a few people I met who I dated for a little while. Mostly they were positive relationships, even if they didn't last. Some of those people I'm still friends with. 

There were some pretty awkward times had. But I didn't personally run into any really bad situations. 

I casually use it, but I only match with crazy feminist girls, even when stating I'm not into SJW by myself.
It serves it's purpose of getting a sex partner kind of easy. But for a long term relationship? Not your best choice.

Same with Badoo

I used it years ago and I can say in the end it was worth it. I went through a lot of frustrating moments though (girls who would unmatch right away for whatever reason, girls who didn't even seem interested in talking, list goes on). I'd say don't take it too seriously and don't expect too much from it is the healthier approach to these kind of apps.