Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
TheNoob_Gamer

Completing Doom without losing any health

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

@Nine Inch Heels Isn't that called "MMH" (maximum minimum health)? And it can be explained in two sentences:

 

"Watch the health everytime the player takes damage, and take the smallest value of the whole recording. If the player takes no damage at all, the health at the exit counts." (Steffen "Rini" Udluft)

Share this post


Link to post

Yeah "MMH" might be the actual "shorthand" here. Never seen anybody run those since I registered, so...

 

3 minutes ago, JudgeDeadd said:

Watch the health everytime the player takes damage, and take the smallest value of the whole recording. If the player takes no damage at all, the health at the exit counts.

Here's the problem with this sentence:
Pick up a mega, take 5% damage, exit the map. Smallest value of the whole recording was 100.

See why some people never quite understood it properly?

Share this post


Link to post

I've made some poorly planned/executed E1 and E3 no damage demos and then I realized that it's impossible to finish E1M8 without taking damage unless player's capped at extremely low health somehow. E2 has E2M6 as a roadblock with unavoidable damage unless there's another void glide somewhere.

Share this post


Link to post
50 minutes ago, Nine Inch Heels said:

Yeah "MMH" might be the actual "shorthand" here. Never seen anybody run those since I registered, so...

 

Here's the problem with this sentence:
Pick up a mega, take 5% damage, exit the map. Smallest value of the whole recording was 100.

See why some people never quite understood it properly?

The player never took damage to get themselves to 100 health, so the health value of 100 would never be considered.  The player took damage once, his health total afterwards was 195, that was the lowest, thus the score is 195.

Share this post


Link to post
59 minutes ago, Cynical said:

The player never took damage to get themselves to 100 health

Doesn't change that the phrase in question can be misinterpreted by anybody who's never seen such a run, or heard of the category. And if you read the previous page you'd be aware that I actually understand the concept quite alright.

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)
23 hours ago, KVELLER said:

I remember someone realised a while ago that you could tell when you were going to take damage from a damaging floor by looking at the weapon bob; you only take damage when your weapon is at its highest point (be it left or right), so that's one (theoretical) way to avoid damage in short trips through damaging floors.

Yeah, that was @Looper, I think. 

 

At least I have heard it from him. He passed the lava part on chillax map16 (almost) without damage with that tactic. 

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, rodster said:

At least I have heard it from him. He passed the lava part on chillax map16 (almost) without damage with that tactic. 

Hehe, I sure used this this trick a lot in zdaemon (even in the $1,000 challenge !) but I learned it from @Linguica . I thought it was interesting detail and I can tell you, it has saved my life MANY times, no doubt.

 

Edit: Hey, I can't highlight with the "@" :v

Second edit: Now it works :-)

Share this post


Link to post
18 hours ago, Beginner said:

I've made some poorly planned/executed E1 and E3 no damage demos and then I realized that it's impossible to finish E1M8 without taking damage unless player's capped at extremely low health somehow. E2 has E2M6 as a roadblock with unavoidable damage unless there's another void glide somewhere.

These were great in my eyes! E3 has a few invulnerabilities so it's easier, but the sergeants at the start of Limbo are scary! E1 was pretty amazing, includes a long stretch over acid with no damage.

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, vdgg said:

the sergeants at the start of Limbo are scary

To be honest, if I were to make a demo like this without tool-assistance I'd also grab chaingun in E3M5 so hitscanners in E3M7 aren't just "pray for them to not do shit" like the ones that guard YSK.

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×