Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DJVCardMaster

How much detail do you put on your wads?

Wanna see your picky/pretentious ways of designing your wad/mods, are you a perfectionist? Do you make unnecessary changes?

Personally, always put the Ultimate Doom GENMIDI lump on my wads just to make OPL sound a bit better since OPL synthesis on Doom 2 sounds a little bit wrecked (Like in "In The Dark" map06/12/24 which sounds like farts). Something totally unnecessary, but I use OPL synth when playing.

34.png.672789392a2ffc537a06b54d66786d6f.png

I always put all the text lumps like MAPINFO or LANGUAGE together at the very top of the WAD, and all maps are in order (i.e. MAP01 lumps, then MAP02 and so on). If I open a WAD and the lumps are just shuffled about I nearly lose my shit.

i am incapable of putting actual detail in my maps, so instead i slave over very obscure details/secrets/easter eggs that i end up putting so much work into that i become incredibly upset when people don't notice them, even though most of them are supposed to be secretive

Ugh, here's a list of them:

1) I meticulously avoid orthogonal linedefs in rocky/organic areas to prevent Doom's wall shading from making random walls stick out.

2) Any text-based lumps have overly-organized whitespace and overly-verbose comments. With ACS or any sort of programming, it's much worse.

3) I care way too much about how the automap will look.

4) All elements of the same type in a map must snap to the same grid. For example, outside areas snap to 8, buildings in those areas snap to 16, interiors of buildings typically have the 64 grid centered inside (for potential ceiling lights and such). Stairs always snap to 32 for the same reason. I follow a lot of strict standards for how doors/lifts/stairs/windows/railings/borders are constructed. Consistency and forethought is good, but sometimes I just overdo it.

5) I hate D_RUNNIN passionately, so always new music.

51 minutes ago, EarthQuake said:

5) I hate D_RUNNIN passionately, so always new music.

Every mapper hates D_RUNNIN, I have a wad that only contains a different D_RUNNIN and a new SKY, so when I make MAP01 I work on that wad

I put in a moderate amount of detail. I don't leave rooms as empty boxes, but neither do I fill them with lots of curves and three dozen small sectors for detail. The most important part of a map is how it plays, so I focus on that and add enough detail to make the room interesting, but I don't add much more than that in most cases.

My maps tend to be on the long side, so I don't think I would have the patience for making every room to the level of detail that I've seen in some of the screenshots here.

On 1/8/2019 at 2:54 PM, DJVCardMaster said:

Every mapper hates D_RUNNIN.

D_RUNNIN is in my top 3 Doom 2 tracks for sure.

13 minutes ago, HAK3180 said:

D_RUNNIN is in my top 3 Doom 2 tracks for sure.

Is not a bad song, but it gets pretty old by listening to it all day.

6 hours ago, Zediru said:

I refuse to acknowledge any distances smaller than 8 units.

Oooh, this is a hard one for me, and I think it stems from a couple of reasons. The first is lack of precision at the engine/map level. Working with a lower grid results in more roundoff errors from what I've observed, especially when really oblique subsectors are generated by the nodebuilder. This often led to tons of slimetrails, where some of those would leak sector properties in really undesirable ways (like causing invisible walls, or messing up the blockmap/reject). The other reason, is that when manipulating geometry in a higher grid than that geometry was originally created with, would cause things to not snap unless you dropped the gridsize back down. Thankfully Doombuilder did something about that, and that is no longer an issue.

The first issue does still exist, but to a lesser extent with the nodebuilders and source ports we have today. So really, I feel like there is little reason to cling onto this practice anymore.

1 hour ago, EarthQuake said:

Oooh, this is a hard one for me, and I think it stems from a couple of reasons. The first is lack of precision at the engine/map level. Working with a lower grid results in more roundoff errors from what I've observed, especially when really oblique subsectors are generated by the nodebuilder. This often led to tons of slimetrails, where some of those would leak sector properties in really undesirable ways (like causing invisible walls, or messing up the blockmap/reject). The other reason, is that when manipulating geometry in a higher grid than that geometry was originally created with, would cause things to not snap unless you dropped the gridsize back down. Thankfully Doombuilder did something about that, and that is no longer an issue.

The first issue does still exist, but to a lesser extent with the nodebuilders and source ports we have today. So really, I feel like there is little reason to cling onto this practice anymore.

You don't know what a pain in the ass is to work on a 3 way CTF map and try to adjust your map by editing linedefs on 1mp. It feels anti-aestethic and awful.

Not to mention the amount of innecesary visplanes and drawsegs you create in Vanilla by working on something lower than 8mp

I read that GZDBBF now has a way to rotate the grid.  That should help a lot with 3-way CTF.

31 minutes ago, Empyre said:

I read that GZDBBF now has a way to rotate the grid.  That should help a lot with 3-way CTF.

Yes I heard that, but it was too late