Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
TollyCastle

On the subject of a very infamous texture.

I was thinking about FIREBLU and how people use it.

While I see it as a garish blue rock texture with red cracks, mainly due to its origins and thus use it as a red and blue accent in caves, it's noticeable that it's more often used as an otherworldly portal texture.

Sometimes it's also used as trims or light sources as well.

So here's a question to my fellow mappers: How do you use FIREBLU?

I use fireblu often because it's a nice texture. It can serve as portal, some kind of detailing like floor and wall cracks. 

I knew this was going to be about Fireblu before even opening the thread! 

Personally I use it as a portal, or otherwise some kind of magical element.  It's too garish to pass as anything "real world", but it's not a bad texture by any means.

1 hour ago, Bauul said:

I knew this was going to be about Fireblu before even opening the thread!

My initial thought was Startan...

Personally, I like fireblu, whether it's used to accent a more conservatively decorated area or to paint a large section of wall. The former is tasteful, the latter is... hmm... amusing. :-)

Everytime I need one of the following things:

- contrast

- something striking

- a good laugh

- killing a streamer's twitch stream

- melted / broken computer hardware

- melted / broken metal seams

I use them to try to find translations that don't look too horrible.

qVwh2jA.png

The first (the Christmassy FIREGRN) was already done by someone else on Doomworld, and probably better than here. I can tell you that red-yellow in Doom palette looks horrible, so there's just the yellow-blue version. FIRERED wasn't too bad but it does lose the effect. Then there are the FIREBLK where the other color is simply removed and replaced by flat black. Looks interesting, the blue is strange. FIREPNK uses the fleshy colors instead of blue. FIREGRY is like FIREBLK but with shades of gray instead of flat black, so there's more color depth. And I noticed I didn't make the all-blue counterpart to the all-red one, so here's BLUFIRE too:

ctHufjX.png

Wait, there's something wrong with this one.

tdNxVtq.png

What have I wrought? Has science gone too far?

Edited by Gez

2 hours ago, TollyCastle said:

So here's a question to my fellow mappers: How do you use FIREBLU?

If I'm using it in any way approaching a representation of something it's "radioactive materials" for a reactor or something.  Otherwise just as a weird hell thing that's there to look weird and hell.

FIREBLU looks like something burning red hot, so it's appropriate for anything lava-like. It looks great in hell-themed wads as a light source. Death-Destiny's maps use it a lot.

It seems I've used it twice... once as a portal inside a metal frame, and the other as a border between a room and hallway in a map that opens up in the late game, connecting the two (hard to explain it's usage here, but it was meant to grab the players' attention and shout "something is quite wrong here!").

16 hours ago, Gez said:

[translations]

It's interesting to see that FIREBLU's original color scheme is actually one of the least hideous possible variants.

So far I've only used low amounts of FIREBLU to depict seemingly non-solid things, but using it more boldly like on Mount Erebus seems like a fun idea.

I use it when I'm making out-of-bounds areas for monsters to teleport into the map. If it's something the player isn't meant to see, I will choose a crazy texture like FIREBLU or SP_FACE1.

It's nice for portals I think.

I used it some during Master Levels development and Shawn Green promptly responded "We've decided not to use that texture any more." Oh, the humanity.

Same as most people, as a texture for portals or as a hellish evil thing seeping from cracks in the rocks in caves or underground areas.