Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
valkiriforce

Akeldama - Now on Idgames!

4 minutes ago, valkiriforce said:

I think it's important that everyone involved play the available maps or at least look at them for an idea of what's been established so far

I still need to download the others, but I did download generator and that took about 5 minutes thanks to my mobile provider putting me on 128kbps but I digress.
I'm about a third done adding in general area, I have ideas and I think it should come out at about mid size when done for the most part.
The map is largely UAC/techbase, no idea for a name yet, probably "Steel Frost" or something along those lines.

MAP18 (edit area) at 2019.01.14 10-23-02.568 [R3041].jpg

2 hours ago, valkiriforce said:

However I have considered replacing those monsters and the rocket launcher, or making them multiplayer components. I would like to have more of a feeling of progression instead of jumping the guns early.

You had mentioned before that you were planning to reorganize the maps, as necessary, to achieve a progression through each episode. Would that mean that you were open to moving your current Map 01 (with its arachnotrons and rocket launcher) from that slot?

If not, then my vote would be to make them multiplayer components. Granted its your map and your project, but it seems that it would be somewhat jarring to introduce those elements in the first map and then not see them again for several maps. Additionally, if you did make them multiplayer components, you would probabyl want to encourage the other early mappers to do the same, so co-op players wouldn't have a wrong impression about the early levels from the first one.

Yeah, it's those kind of thoughts that have left me wondering what I should do with it. I particularly like this map as an opening to the megawad, even if some maps after it might be smaller. It's a small foretaste of what's to come, and it was one of the earliest maps created for this project back in late 2017.

Also, it's not unusual for some coop monsters to crop up in unusual places, I know there were some megawads that would throw in cybers/spider masterminds early on, but I'm not openly encouraging those kinds of things. I'm just thinking it would be a simple solution for MAP01.

20 hours ago, DJVCardMaster said:

Also tried to fix some of the problems you mentioned that shared in common with Valkiriforce. But some others are maybe a personal taste issue in terms of aesthetics/gameplay.
You could be more specific on "big empty square rooms".
I think quickly playing the map on GZDoom ruins the experience a little bit, making it way easier to play (Higher framerate and smother aim, save spamming, resurrect, some minor tweaks and "fixes" in the engine that makes it playing for some reason easier than in Vanilla), it happened to me that the map was pretty easy on GZDoom.

I don't think this map is hard per se. The player is never put in really dangerous situations, plus there's a constant supply of health. 3 green armors are too much and you've got also 2 blue armors. The secret blue armor is fine but you can definetely trim the health balance imo.

I did some mockups for more secret level type designs, i did come up with a really cool one that involves a sunken castle that reveals itself as the player drains away the liquid, but after trying several versions, it works with limit removing conditions but doesn't work fully and bombs out in chocolate doom (player in special sector error).

Also i'll have some time to playtest the E1 maps that are out if that feedback will help at all.

Loving the idea of a classic-style community megawad <3

Been a while since we got one of those!

My only concern is that the early levels, specially MAP07 and MAP11 are way too punishing from pistol start. They get pretty "slaughtery". 

MAP01 is a great start, but could have ended earlier.

I didn't test the "save buffer overflow" in any of the levels, forgot to do it btw

EDIT: I have no internet (using 4g at the moment lul) until next weekend hopefully. So I can't playtest/share updates with you, for now.

Edited by DJVCardMaster

I played 11 and then 24. They are definitely in the wrong order. 

24 has far too many instances of monsters flooding spaces they can’t escape from and the player being able to shoot them from safety. In some cases doing otherwise isn’t even an option, because they flood the corridor and force you to spam to get past them. 

I have an FDA I’ll post tonight. Things that call out for really needing change are the stuck reventants in that outdoor courtyard and the imp teleport in the same courtyard. 

@valkiriforce

Is there an overall story behind Akeldama?

I realize that this is 6 pages into the thread, but I hadn't seen anything about it yet, and the OP doesn't really address it, so I'm asking the question. You instructed authors to make levels that fit with the skies, but you didn't really tie the authors down to specific themes because you wanted to get a variety of different themes. This is all well and good.

However, the skies clearly suggest a progression of some type, in my opinion. Did you have an overall narrative in mind?

I purposely left that up for people's interpretation, but if you must know my thought process behind it, I was somewhat inspired from Memento Mori's sky progression since it's one of my favorites going from day to sunset and night. I was inspired to do a snow theme for the first episode because it's a bit different from the ones that were done in some other classic megawads, and I created MAP07's city outlook because my brother had moved to Boise, Idaho well over a year ago, and I had looked at photographs of a normal-looking city with a snow-capped mountain backdrop, and I thought it was interesting enough to try and do something similar at least visually in one of my maps.

I think that was part of my concern when I tagged the mappers theme-wise since I didn't want too many people to attempt to do snow themes in all three episodes when it's really down to one episode sky having snow (despite the E2 sky having a little bit of snow on the mountains) that was why I created MAP16 like I did to emphasize differing themes. You can take the available maps as examples since I tried to make my E1/2/3 maps all different but hopefully fitting for the themes portrayed in them.

If we're going by any kind of story for a Doom mapset, I tend to have fascination with end-of-the-world themes, especially since it's called Akeldama; and that's typically what Doom is supposed to represent what with featuring demons running rampant on earth. I would especially interpret the E3 sky as looking like some place in the middle east like Megiddo, only with a fiery landscape since that's where the last battle is supposed to take place. I tried to create some feeling of dread in my two E3 entries to carry this theme, as well as spooky visuals like the eye switch being changed to a gouged eye, as well as including the ourosboros. I almost wanted to make an animated snake flat to look like a harmful snake pit but couldn't do much with it or find much past what was included in Blood's resources. This was also part of why I wanted to brainstorm about MAP30, since it could involve a personal encounter with the anti-Christ maybe through an animated monitor texture of some kind or some other entity. That's basically the extent of my ideas story-wise.

I would like to make a map for Slot 32. I don't know if it's possible. I hope I didn't miss a very important rule.

5 hours ago, 7hm said:

I played 11 and then 24. They are definitely in the wrong order. 

24 has far too many instances of monsters flooding spaces they can’t escape from and the player being able to shoot them from safety. In some cases doing otherwise isn’t even an option, because they flood the corridor and force you to spam to get past them. 

I have an FDA I’ll post tonight. Things that call out for really needing change are the stuck reventants in that outdoor courtyard and the imp teleport in the same courtyard. 

Thanks for the feedback, sadly since no internet for now I probably can't watch your FDA.

I have taken some of your points in consideration.

Today, I was working on removing tons of "block monster linedef" so they don't get stuck and follow you (for the most part) to the areas in which you are trying to hide.

Also removing lots of stimpacks, and adding ammo on places in which you really need it.

Removed some unfair enemies and replaced some of them near to walls instead of being at the center of the halls, again making them flow and making the player maneuver a little bit better in between them.

Also working on the cyberdemon room

I think it's a really difficult map to balance for myself. A really tough challenge. I did nothing like this before. I clearly understand the problems of balancing a really big map back in the Memento Mori's days. That is why some of them get annoying.

4 hours ago, Roofi said:

I would like to make a map for Slot 32. I don't know if it's possible. I hope I didn't miss a very important rule.

Unfortunately there's more people working on E3 maps than there are room to receive at this time - and likely I'll have to settle it down to fewer entries since we've yet to figure out a proper MAP30 as well as the secret level slots. However, I might propose a collaborative entry for at least one of the secret slots, and there's always a chance someone doesn't finish a map by the deadline or people drop out, so I'll add you on the team list.

With that being said - I have now updated to include the deadlines for E2 which is May the 8th and E3 which is July the 8th. Since all of the slots have been claimed for some time now and people are working on their maps, two extra months per episode ought to be enough time for people to submit their entries - Episode 1's deadline is in March, while the other episodes have more time for development. If any slots are left empty by then either I or someone else will fill those empty slots. There's also a chance the map is unplayable in vanilla Doom or isn't up to standard with the other maps - either a map can be reworked to fit those standards or it won't be accepted as it is.

1-11, 12-20, 21-32 is the standard, although some might count 31 & 32 as part of E2 since they're accessed through MAP15. I've updated the first post to reflect this.

Edited by valkiriforce

So I figure I should toss in some thoughts on the maps I played last night (01, 09, and 24) I haven't had a chance to play the others yet.
My monitor is a tv, so I use gzdoom for the sake of preventing eyestrain from my crap viewing angles and they worked fine, with a difficulty of hmp

Map01: To be honest, I thinks it's a great start to the wad, I would bring up the arachnotrons and rocket launcher...wait I just did...but others have already brought it up.

Map09: Nice, good length, but there were a few moments where I felt a bit overwhelmed but that's probably more because my play style so no complaints.

Map24: Some areas were easy while some spots kept me on watch for the health packs, I did enjoy the cyber battle but I did end up hurting for ammo during the fight, once again, probably a me thing, but I still enjoyed it.

IMG_20190116_022125049.jpg.423ae33a32c08e65fc6be5cbbb862922.jpg

Lol, just telefragged the fucking cyberdemon. This represents how bad he is. Probably the worst cyberdemon in the history of Doom wads. Wow.wad cyber is proud of his son.

Going to leave it for the lulz.

Sorry for the cellphone pic, no internet

Silly question, but couldn't you use your phone as a wi-fi hotspot for the computer? Even my eight year old backup phone lets me do this :)

On 1/15/2019 at 1:30 AM, Juza said:

Y'all later maps better be grindy true AV fashion

Nice crap post man. I hope some of the later maps as the gameplay similar to AV29 - great map to take as example -

Some phone providers won't let you on certain plans, I had a phone the technically had a hot spot, but it was locked off by MetroPCS unless I paid extra for it even on unlimited high speed data.
ATT will let you have the hot spot, but you get speed capped once your gig of data is burned up.

My map (29) is coming along well, about to work on the final area which will have an underground battle with probably two Cyberdemons and then sort out the gameplay balance. Won't be a slaughtermap, will be aimed at more classic-style difficulty. Will probably combine the average monster types from Doom 2, TNT and Plutonia MAP28 and MAP29 into this map. Will not submit the map until I am satisfied with it.

Screenshot_Doom_20190117_015427.png

Screenshot_Doom_20190117_015436.png

Screenshot_Doom_20190117_015625.png

Edited by pcorf

I'll be providing feedback on each submitted map, using Chocolate Doom to playtest.

Map 01: The Generator by Valkriforce anbd Waverider

This is a great opener, for quite a few reasons. First off, it's tough enough to show some teeth, yet not overtaxing. I died a few times, though most of that can be chalked up to me getting used to Chocolate Doom's controls.

I really like the opening scene after going through the first door: there is a wide, winding staircase going up, encased in a vista of snow and ice, and plenty of enemies strategically placed to keep the player on their toes. Once you get passed the outside area and into the buildings, you are treated with a bit of technological architecture. I do not have much to say about the fist, but the second-is it pretty. It is the right amount of detail without being too busy. I especially like the way the staircases are built, utilizing more than one texture to make each step.

This must have taken a lot of time to finesse, and get working in vanilla limitations. Both the second building and the opening area outside are quite vast. This is an impressive level to look at.

Gameplay wise, there is not much to criticize. I think the bestiary presented works well; you have the usual gang of gunners and Imps, plus a few Arachnotrons (placed in nice, open space for full advantage of their attacks). Overall, this is a very solid starting level. I can't wait to try out more!

3 hours ago, NiGHTMARE said:

Silly question, but couldn't you use your phone as a wi-fi hotspot for the computer? Even my eight year old backup phone lets me do this :)

Off-topic response: I have no idea how to do it, besides, I have prepaid mobile services, so I have to pay for 4g constantly, the cellphone company only gives you 50mb of 4g per day. If you exceed that limit, it starts charging you extra money.

At least is like that with my company (Claro - Argentina)

4 hours ago, NiGHTMARE said:

Only if he has a wireless adapter on his PC. For example, mine doesn't, I connect with a cable to my router.

I'll be providing feedback on each submitted map.

Map 07: Carnage Facility by Valkriforce

This one is quite long, taking over 30 minutes. While there are some standout parts (of which I'll get to), this map as a whole felt meh.

Let's get to the good: there are some nicely designed rooms, especially the one with the blue key. The setup of that area is really cool, and you can tell a lot of effort went into it. There are some other cool areas, like a pseudo-bathroom with two sinks, and a few trippy lite-textured staircases.

But overall, I felt the map doesn't have as much of an identity as the first, and the progression can feel iffy. There were a few moments where I was lost, though some of that could just be my derpiness. Gameplay is still quite good. I really like the trap with the two Mancubuses, for instance.

There is one area that could use changing up: the hallway where barrels appear and explode in Chaingunners faces. The idea is cool, but I found that if you go through the back way first, it is hard to escape the barrels exploding. Again, the set up is interesting (not sure how it is even achieved in Vanilla), but the execution can be refined.

Overall, not a bad map, but not as good as the first.

I gave the E1 maps another play, and here they are my thoughts.

MAP01 is the start the wad deserves, though I don't fancy the last part it's just a thing of personal taste.

MAP07 present problems right from the start. First, it's too slaughtery and unforgiving, couldn't progress that far on UV. There are over 500 monsters, and there are mostly on parts of the level which aren't necessary, specially waves of hitscanners. So many things + massive map makes it impossible to save it (save buffer overflow) 

If it wasn't for the Tag 666/667 usage I would place it later in the wad.

Full of neat ideas like the exploding walls effect. But still, 5 ways to go from the archvile room and none of them is a safe point. Letting the player feel as a spider trapped in a fire ring. Removing hitscanners would be vital not only for a more fair gameplay, but for fixing the save problem. 

On the good side, this map is aesthetically the best of the episode.

MAP08 (or 4VALK-120418.wad) is the best overall from the first episode, still slaughtery at the end, forcing the player run for the exit, since there aren't many places to hide and take a breath.

Other problem is that the archvile in the crushed room can revive dead monsters that got crushed, making them to revive as "ghost monsters", not sure if it's intended or not, but the only way of killing them is with rocket splash damage. They follow you to the last part of the map making it even harder. 

MAP11 is fine, but still presents the save buffer issue. Since is too big and has way too many monsters. This is not as slaughtery as MAP07, but there are some innecesary waves of the same enemy here and there. I would put less of them as well as removing trees to reduce the thing counter and make it able to fix the save game buffer.

Yeah, my main concern is that maybe monster usage is all over the place and makes the maps too abundant and punishing. Also save buffer overflow, though overlooked, is fatal.

Also some of the placements are pretty simetrical, and there is no need to do that, it generates bad and predictable patterns on the enemy encounters. It's a problem even I have on my maps, and I'm trying to fix them.

Personally I'm reading an interesting topic here on Doomworld about monster placement, I'll share it to you when I find it again, so everyone can read it and learn, and you don't commit the same mistakes I have on my maps or the maps evaluated.

EDIT: sorry about the Random Spanish words if you found them, writing on cellphone with the corrector it's fucking me up

EDIT 2: Here it's the topic I was talking about

Edited by DJVCardMaster

@pcorf: Wow, those screens looks awesome! :)

@obake: I'm glad you seemed to really like Map01! As stated, it's a collaboration between me and valkiriforce, we each made 50% of it. Speaking of it, it was me who's guilty of charge about the arachnotrons and rocket launcher (I made the second half, after the spiral staircase). What did you think of those items, hit or miss? Seems a few people would like to see those items/monsters removed.

@DJVCardMaster: I made the last part of Map01, after the spiral staircase. What was it that you didn't like about it?

I'm glad you seemed to like Map11 better, by the way. The savegame buffer isn't actually an oversight, I've noticed quite a lot of well known vanilla megawads like Alien Vendetta and Back to Saturn X which to my knowledge, has those issues too, this issue seems a more accepted one in general than for instance, VPO's. On one side of the fence, if every map is within those limits, the wad will become a very strictly vanilla compatible wad. On the other side though, this will limit the size and complexity of each map quite a lot.

What do you guys think? Should we care about the save game buffer or not?

Save game buffer overflows aren't dealbreakers for me; especially with ports that can ignore that.   We can always specify which levels have those in the text file as a courtesy.

Also I really like map01 as is, and I find it refreshing to have a hard map01 then drop down in difficulty before picking up again--keeps the players on their toes.