Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
valkiriforce

Akeldama - Now on Idgames!

5 hours ago, valkiriforce said:

I've pretty much heard back from everyone except @Chaingunner, just wanna know if you've got progress on your map since we've reached the deadline for outside submissions for Episode 2. And with that we're entering the last available deadline with Episode 3 submissions by July the 8th. After this we're going to fine-tune and playtest all of the maps and hopefully get a complete soundtrack somewhere down the road, and fill any empty slots that remain if any. Still a little ways to go but not too far off now.

I'm gonna work on getting the episode 2 maps up and finished in the meantime. @complexDoomer I looked over your recent updated MAP12 and noticed it was simplified quite a bit for vanilla Doom 2, however I do have the original map with the additional details and I was working on getting that working with vanilla since I do think it looks nice; maybe have some additional details in the works as well including some extra monster placement. I also have a map sent to me from Juza which is not 100% finished, but I hope to get it completed as well after I finish up with Map 12. That's pretty much where I am at this point, and I hope to get Episode 2 up and available when the remaining maps are submitted.

Sorry, I'm trying to improve my "better" maps, but I'm not coming

A little bit late to the party, but here's the beta version of MAP17:

Spoiler

doom219.png.4afe17b1d2773a76f05eee04bb39ba92.png

doom213.png.ba4a9779bf2b2581161c9dd06b49c4e5.png

doom215.png.49292b81e5767cc94f697e70bbe8309d.png

doom216.png.1c9b2f7e50908f293c10ed83cae68ef5.png

Title : Blood Covenant

Music : Eris Falling - The Forgotten God

Mapslot : MAP17

Par Time : 5:00

Estimated Playtime : 15 ~ 20 minutes

Tested on both ChocoRenderLimits and PrBoom+ cl2

To do for the final version

- Difficulty settings

- Cooperative settings

- Replace the music to Eris' upcoming soundtrack

akel_antares031_map17_beta1.zip

Oh nice timing haha, I admit I hadn't gotten around to starting the music yet, but now I've got more to go on.

I know that I'm working on Map 20, which is the second episode. I know the deadline passed almost a week ago. But I am still working. The layout is 99% finished, with the map about 33% populated and the texturing about 25% done. Here is proof that I have something substantial to show for my time.

917580006_ScreenShot2019-05-13at11_56_22PM.png.c1b3ff2ce620019612f2e35bdafb0c90.png

Spoiler

The scale is difficult to judge owing to the fact that I left the grid off (on purpose, to avoid cluttering up the image), but the bounding box around the whole map would measure something like 7700 map units wide by 5000 map units tall.

i made another track for this project. it's pretty lengthy and could fit well for one of the maps in the later episodes.

Fallen Empire (7:40)

EDIT: updated the track slightly. re-download it if you downloaded it previously.

Edited by Viscra Maelstrom

On 5/9/2019 at 3:49 AM, complexDoomer said:

Sorry, I'm trying to improve my "better" maps, but I'm not coming

That's okay; I'm almost finished with your map. I'll be posting it here soon when I feel it's ready for testing. If you've any kind of title for your map do let me know about it; otherwise I'll just give the map a title.

On another note I would also like to discuss what to do with the MAP30 slot, as I have at least a few ideas in mind for what could be done, however I know the idea of MAP30's in megawads is usually a touchy subject, considering how divisive it could be if it were just another generic "Icon of Sin" map. I guess what I'd like to ask is this: what are some of your favorite last maps you've played in megawads/episodes and is there anything you'd like to see in a last level? For one thing I would prefer to stay clear of any DeHackEd work, as I'd like to keep this traditionally within what Doom has already established; personally I would like to see either new takes on old ideas or a better setup for an "encounter"-type of experience (Phobos Anomaly) or even a full-fledged map with an encounter at the end of it.

I've had a fun idea in mind for a MAP31 collaboration map which I do hope to get started on; I just need to finish up what's left of working on MAP12 and also work on getting MAP19 completed since it was left unfinished. When the time comes I'll probably come looking for people who want to contribute to this MAP31 slot since it'll likely be a hub map.

I'd like to work on that hub map once it starts.
On another note, it entirely depends on whether you plan of having map30 as a actual large map or more of a traditional icon of sin encounter. As a icon of sin encounter, I often feel like building up a little atmosphere before the fight really helps, Icon maps that come to mind is possibly AV and Plutonia 2. If its more of a large final map I like them to be memorable and cohesive to the megawad as a whole (Such as Scythe 2 where you retravel to parts of the WAD)

I think the best concept of final fight that sticks out in my mind would be hadephobia's map20 'ostoyae anomaly' by @purist, which was a standard(ish) map that had an iirc unkillable monster spawner and a few spawn points dotted about the map.  Kind of felt like a nightmare skill but with the random monster element, and it really pressured the player to blaze through the map and escape

May cause vanilla issues though

Edited by dt_

OK I was really struggling to come up with anything for antares' map, and he basically built his map around it so ehhh... Anyway, when I remade The Forgotten God last year I wrote a new guitar solo because the original is quite unplayable for my skill level - this MIDI uses that guitar solo instead of the original and that's about it. I'm sorry it's not much, but it's like my most popular MIDI and I felt like anything I came up with was doomed to be a downgrade...

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/573884542230724618/577961117054271518/The_Forgotten_God_alternative_solo.mid

My only request - I don't want both versions circulating around future PWADs, if this is ok then ideally I'd like some kind of note on release that people should use the original version from the Revolution! MIDI Pack.

Valkiriforce & gang

For either 30 or 31--what if we used the outdoor section I cut from map25 as a start and then did an assault the fortress type map beyond the yellow key doorway (outdoor doorway).  

I'd prefer to do an ending along the lines of PSX's ending, where it's you against all the heavy hitters the game can throw at you with no random spawner making things unpredictable.  Something with massive architecture to make the player feel insignificant.  Sort of Go2It meets Michael Krause.

Got around to test @antares031 map on UV first and a careful inspection in nomonsters to check on visuals oddities. Only a few comments since the map seemed flawless at first sight, plus very fun and a great midi of course by a great musician. Chocolate Doom 3.0.0. btw.

- First of all, savegame overflow in YK area when attempting to save, so this should be noted in the text file. Went to the config to disable the limit in order to use saves. 

- I didn't find a way to get the secret in sector 253, and I still don't understand GZDB that much. A hint please?

- Only this metal texture seemed to not belong there. No misalignments that I could spot.

- Finally, what does this switch do?

5 hours ago, galileo31dos01 said:

- First of all, savegame overflow in YK area when attempting to save, so this should be noted in the text file. Went to the config to disable the limit in order to use saves. 

- I didn't find a way to get the secret in sector 253, and I still don't understand GZDB that much. A hint please?

- Only this metal texture seemed to not belong there. No misalignments that I could spot.

- Finally, what does this switch do?

Thanks for the feedback, galileo! I believe that savegame buffer overflow is usually ignored in vanilla doom wads, since there's no reliable way to manage it. But yeah, it would be helpful to mention about it. About that soulsphere secret, there's a switch near the blue skull key door to lower the lift to it; the satyr one on the left. And thanks for pointing out the wrong metal texture there. It used to have different decoration there, and I forgot to remove that old one. The last switch is a secondary switch to raise the stairs to the secret soulsphere. I thought the original one was too cryptic, so I decided to put an another switch for it.

And much appreciated for the alternative version of TFG, @Eris Falling! I'll make sure to use that one for the updated version. :thumbsup:

Map14 is not abandoned. I'm still working on it. And I'll try my best to finish it as soon as possible.

image.png

Here's the updated version of Blood Covenant.

- Implemented difficulty settings and cooperative support.

- Fixed two major slime trails and a couple of texture issues.

- Replaced the music to the alternative version of The Forgotten God by Eris Falling.

akel_antares031_map17_beta2.zip

@valkiriforce   I'm liking the changes in this map; especially in the starting stairwells, it looks good.  I love that outdoor courtyard in the first shot, though I noticed two texture alignments needed under the overhangs along the south wall (Y axis is off by 64 both cases).   I like the weird green texture that dominates the map, very old-school vibe.   

So after a number of tries (HMP), I managed to get the red key and died on the return to the door in the central courtyard.    I was playing poorly and got stuck between a demon and a chaingunner :(   Anyways, the action is really nice and constant.    I was hovering between 2% - 50% health on HMP for the longest time until I found the soul sphere, then I was king of the map until about 2 minutes later.  There might be a need for one or two medkits in that courtyard for the return trip on the lower skill settings; honestly not sure as I was playing very poorly.    Ammo seems just right between what's available and what's dropped by enemies.   

I will play this one again over the weekend for a better run as the map is fun without any real frustrations.   

@valkiriforce
Title : Darkness Beneath

Music : Viscra Maelstrom - Fallen Empire

Mapslot : MAP14

Estimated Playtime : 15 ~ 20 minutes

Tested on both ChocoRenderLimits and PrBoom+ cl2

To do for the final version

- Difficulty settings

-Clean automap

-Fix savegame buffer overflow(If it possible)
Screens:

Spoiler

image.png.a0276bb261a66ff520597f47568d63ea.pngimage.png.3932fdd5fc3e853ea0992d13d7dbda07.pngimage.png.04cb1ca046e129352bd25688b08b1abd.pngimage.png.3269c1e5dcd540f8dcd3ef1457e788ff.pngimage.png.3679f0d7ff3b0cd53cde4ad046c57fa8.png

AKmap14b.zip

Edited by Сhaingunner

Thanks Chaingunner, I've updated the first post with your map. I wouldn't worry about the savegame buffer personally but it's up to you if you think you can manage it.

At this time I'm still working on getting MAP19 from Juza completed, and there's only two other submissions for Episode 2 that are left for submission otherwise.

Sadly, this is a vanilla project and only MIDI works in that instance. If you write those, they can be used instead.

You shouldn't require equipment to create a MIDI. Software such as Sekaiju should be all you need.

Updated my map05 once again, I don't expect the E1 compilation to change with it added so its here for the final compilation. @valkiriforce

Changes:

Spoiler

Added 2 revenant traps to try and alleviate the map lull once the red key is acquired
Balanced some health and ammo

Added slight detail to the cave ceiling

Swapped a hell knight for a pain elemental in blue arena

Map size cleanup by joining many symmetrical sectors

added a cyberdemon, ammo, a SSG, and some arch-viles for co-op only

On 5/16/2019 at 6:01 AM, valkiriforce said:

All right, I've got the updated version of map 12 here - I'm calling it Urban Strike:  https://www.dropbox.com/s/f0to7cx6jo1b4pw/complexdoomer12valk.wad?dl=0

Still needs playtesting, as I've played it a handful of times and have made plenty of adjustments since. Curious to see what the rest of you think.

EmjMhSh.png

I3xVrYR.png

Oh my gods thank you for improving my level I can not continue and I'm happy :)

I was thinking possibly something similar to the E3 sky graphic. Specifically some middle-eastern environment like Tel Megiddo with trenches and broken-down walls in grayscale with additional edits, including the red Akeldama title at the top. That was one of my ideas anyway, but haven't done anything about it yet. If anyone wants to take a stab at it I'm curious to see what people can think of, otherwise I'll just handle it myself if no one else wants to come up with anything for it. After all, it should have some kind of "end of the world" feel to it for something called Akeldama, I'd say.

Getting close to finishing the geometry for Map18, then lots of work on gameplay. Aiming for end of the week for the map to be finalized. Here's a screenshot, love a good vista despite the limitations best efforts to stop me.

18sshot1.png