Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
valkiriforce

Akeldama - Now on Idgames!

1 hour ago, valkiriforce said:

the latter sounds like it could fit on either MAP01 or MAP11, as it feels like it could represent the beginning of a long adventure when starting a new megawad, or it could be the start of a long map. Curious what you think of the idea.

As I type this, the track is approaching nine minutes in length and will most likely end up over ten, so pairing it with a long map would be better, preferably one with a darker atmosphere than MAP11. Perhaps either MAP19 or 20? Looking at the OP, those don't have music in place yet.

Would be nice for MAP20...

Edit: Though I find the Last Ninja 2 midi more fitting, Valkiri can decide

Edited by Juza

Yeah I think I like how this fits on MAP20. Might help give the map more of its own identity as well; that Last Ninja 2 midi was used in Kama Sutra, right? :P

50 minutes ago, AD_79 said:

As I type this, the track is approaching nine minutes in length and will most likely end up over ten, so pairing it with a long map would be better, preferably one with a darker atmosphere than MAP11. Perhaps either MAP19 or 20? Looking at the OP, those don't have music in place yet.

45 minutes ago, Juza said:

Would be nice for MAP20...

Edit: Though I find the Last Ninja 2 midi more fitting, Valkiri can decide

Right now, the music I added to Map 19 when I submitted the file was "Into Sandy's City." I have no problem using it in Map 19, but I will go with whatever valkiri wants to do.

Penance (10:33)

For MAP20 unless it would fit better elsewhere. May still work on this a bit, I'll return to it in a few days and see how I feel.

39 minutes ago, AD_79 said:

Penance (10:33)

My feeling for the first part is something like AA Map24, and then when the main melody kicks in, I feel like AA Map28. The whole theme feels like a lot of Colosseum connecting to each other in a sky temple or something like that. Then the fight is getting more and more intense as the player progress. A very nice tune, really like it.

Thanks Garrett! I don't hear the AA in it personally, but I think it's interesting that the track conjures these feelings to mind.

Also, posting to say that I have yet another WIP for this project, this time intended for MAP01. It's a bit too early to post it though, but seeing as it'll most likely be a short one, I'll just post it once it's finished.

EDIT: I hope people haven't forgotten about the track Eris posted a little while ago, because it's quite good and deserves to be used!

Edited by AD_79

^ I have Illusion written for a few possible slots, but now that there are more midis at work, I'm thinking of putting it for either MAP19 or MAP20, while Penance could occupy the other slot.

In that case, I'd personally place Illusion on MAP19 and Penance on 20. I think it works well accompanying the final map of the episode.

8 hours ago, AD_79 said:

Thanks Garrett! I don't hear the AA in it personally, but I think it's interesting that the track conjures these feelings to mind.

EDIT: I hope people haven't forgotten about the track Eris posted a little while ago, because it's quite good and deserves to be used!

That's just my personal interest to visualize musics or stuff. Of course, I'm not an artist, so my feeling is from... eh, no reason. You are the artist for a reason ;P  I put Ancient Aliens is just how it's famous to understand what was I talking about. BTW, thank you for reminding me or Eris's track. It's great. That one sounds like in Eviternity to me for some reason.

I've put Illusion for MAP19; Penance is good for 20, though I don't feel the beginning of the song really fits the atmosphere of the map given it starts in a damaging sector and it's later followed by teleporting monsters. The rest of the song fits nicely enough though and I like the moodiness of it for the end of E2, just my thoughts.

Eh I think it still works for those bits (though I was thinking maybe the teleporting monsters could be toned down a bit!), but fitting the mood of the map overall is the most important part, I'd say.

I'll try to get these other two WIPs done as soon as I can.

MAP19: Death March

Author: Pegleg (and valkiriforce)

Build Time: 3 months, working for an hour or two every few days (with the occasional day featuring a flurry of activity for several hours)

------------

I was inspired by the red sky for Episode 2, which led to creating a map with a lot of metallic textures and blood mixed with brick and rock/stone. One of the goals I had going into this design was to add interconnectedness, so that there would be a number of ways that you could make it through the map, with the ability to see things from different vantage points (often at different heights) that you might need later. I also wanted to have areas that were optional to visit; it would be beneficial to visit to them, but not essential (and likely rather dangerous). The final result of all of this was a map that ended up being something akin to a meandering brick and stone fortress attached to rocky caverns and a canyon. The map was originally titled "Blood March," but there were already a number of map titles featuring blood, so the title was changed to "Death March." Valkiriforce added detailing that added some flair to some of the areas. He also moved around some of the health and ammunition, and revised the final arena to avoid it being simply a dash to the exit and ensure that the final encounter had some teeth, as I had meant for it to have.

The release will be when it's ready, I'd imagine! There's still a little bit of map work to do, and a fair amount of soundtrack work to fill in the placeholder/empty slots. Please have some patience!

Just wanna add to it that there is little else left to do for the megawad - it's practically finished aside from one map and at least two map fixes that are waiting (namely the MAP11 blockmap fix and MAP25 adjustments). I also made a little list of what's left to take care of:

ENDOOM Screen(?)
BOSSBACK graphic
CREDITS Screen
Map names/credits
DeHackEd map names
Text Screens(?)
MAP11 Blockmap fix by waverider
MAP25 fix by joepallai
MAP26 by Breezeep
Difficulty settings - likely I'll run through the megawad on all three difficulties and make minor adjustments if needed.
Co-op tested
8 maps need music tracks - there's some slots I've listed as WIP from people who have mentioned working on songs, and as I said before I'm thinking Viscra's Derived From Unconscious Mind could work for either the MAP24 or MAP26 slot depending on the map themes. I think it works well as an E3 track so I'll likely place it in one of those slots whenever MAP26 rolls along.

If possible, I'd like to make one last change to my map. I want to remove a very annoying enemy from a spot.

Just to let everyone know my progress.   Currently  I'm reworking the NE interior section in order to eliminate an overly complicated secret area that didn't work as intended; next up is a rearrangement of linedefs for the red key secret path--this should give the player an easier time of seeing what a switch does.  After that, it's just a matter of cleaning up some little things that need addressing before it's done.    

Map25: Opulence

Author: Joe Pallai

Build Time: Over a year with parts made in 2000 (seriously)

Comments:   So this map started off as the sections deleted from Plutonia2's "Aztecorum".   This would be sectors 0 - 1, 10 - 15, 19 - 28, 30 - 32, 42, 46 - 49, 51, 57, 61, 66, 68, 186, 193, 207 and 235  (there may be a few more but I don't recognize them any more).   Stupidly I thought re-using parts of an old map would be a quick way to knock out a map for this project since I initially signed up for two maps--HA!   Eventually I realized my foolishness and concentrated only on this one map.   It went from trying to shoehorn in as much of the original Plutonia2 map into it; to eventually cutting half of what I had previously made and settling into a nice weird Brick/Hell influenced tech-base thing with an optional red key path.   It's a map made for explorers and I hope you enjoy it.   Joe

18 hours ago, Viscra Maelstrom said:

i just remembered that i had a MIDI lying around that never got used for anything. it's yet another cover of Mayhem's Night Music (no, not that Mayhem :P). it's meant to fit a type of hi-tech city map, but it could probably be used for some sort of techbase as well.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/i9uq8ujpcp1lbsj/Night Music_3.mid?dl=1

I really like your music, especially that song used in MAP06.

On 9/24/2019 at 7:08 PM, pcorf said:

I've composed a song / midi for MAP15 named "Sinners of The Dark"

DOWNLOAD HERE

Wow, killer track Paul, thank you so much for making it!

On 9/23/2019 at 12:41 AM, valkiriforce said:

ENDOOM Screen(?)

How flashy do you want your ENDOOM screen? I can make basic ones, but it'd probably be better if one of the local Endoom Whisperers™ made one, I've seen some excellent designs stuffed into those ENDOOM screens!

3 hours ago, gaspe said:

Wow, killer track Paul, thank you so much for making it!

Yep, suits the map indeed. Was intended for the theme.

@Doomkid Yeah, I'd love to see any kind of ENDOOM screen. The classic megawads all had them, so I think it'd be fitting to do one for this project. It's not a major requirement though so any kind will do!

By the way waverider sent me his finished MAP11, which should now be able to run in any port without the need of a patch. I've updated the OP to include the link to the new version (and for those curious I've archived his previous MAP11 on Doomshack.org). I hope we can get a sinister music track for this map. Not much further to go!

Edited by valkiriforce