Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
valkiriforce

Akeldama - Now on Idgames!

@wolfmcbeard

• The first line (PLAY) shows your coordinates in the map.
  • The second line (PLT) shows the number of platforms that you have.
    • In vanilla, you have a hard limit of 30 moving floors/platforms active at any one time. Exceeding 30 leads to an abrupt crash.
  • The third line (SPR) shows the number of sprites (things) on screen.
    • In vanilla, you can only have 128 on screen at any one time.
    • If you exceed 128, the furthest ones (usually last in the sorting order) will disappear. They will actually disappear and reappear as you move around, depending on where you are and how many things are shown at one time.
  • The fourth line (OPN) shows the number of openings on screen.
    • They're also known as solidsegs (admittedly, I had to look these up.)
    • It has to do with how many alternating regions of solid and transparent texture you have and its related to your resolution.
    • If you exceed this limit, the game will crash.
  • The fifth line (SEG) shows the number of drawsegs you have in view.
    • In vanilla, there is a hard limit of 256 drawsegs that can be in view.
    • Once you exceed 256, the remainder will not be drawn and instead you will get HOMs.
  • The sixth line (PLN) shows the number of visplanes in view.
    • Vanilla has a limit of 128, after which you will get an overflow and the game will abruptly crash. It also shows the maximum that you have seen during your time in the map (MAX).

I may not have done the best job explaining these, and there are also other limits that are not shown in that display. There is a limit of 64 scrolling textures and a maximum of 16 buttons can be activated at the same time. Exceeding either of these limits will cause a crash. There are more, and you can read all about them in the Doom Wiki entry on static limits.

6 hours ago, waverider said:

Just going to point out that from what I've heard, Visplane Explorer isn't good enough when it comes to catching VPO's, it seems that you have to keep all doors open in the editor for VE to go a decently good job and even then I don't think it will cover all angles.

I believe Chocorenderlimits is the only program that will show the amount of visplanes (and segs) correctly.

Correct me if I'm wrong though.

Yes I do open all the doors (4 units from nearest ceiling) and lower the floors when doing the check. I did the same when making Incineration too.

Both were informative for me, It's a good challenge for me to stay within a certain limit as I normally don't keep any of these things in mind.

"Hopefully this doesn't come off as being too controlling"

It's good to see a cp like those old ones where someone is willing to stand up and set some more guidelines

Just started my Map today and I have a general idea of how its going to turn out.

Currently not showing pics yet but here's a pic for the DM area which is actually an old speedmap of mine from 2009 and converted from Boom compatible to vanilla.

DwmLup6VAAEcMNX.jpg 

Well, finally finished my work on my personal megawad for the moment, I can take time now to work on my map for this project.

By the way, if I want to add any new textures to my map. Should I update the assets wad or I can add them directly into my mapfile?

You can go ahead and add them directly into your map, and I'll likely update the resource to include them so other people can use them as well.

It's Thursday till I go to bed, but here's that area from earlier done for now till I do a pass with items and monsters, took a shot in gz as it's the last port I tested.
I figured I'd also ask about suggestions for this room on making encounters interesting or improving it, as it is a bit of a hub area, now off to bed with me.
Screenshot_Doom_20190111_083202.png

I find I can't do anything about adding new textures to my mapfile, for some reason creating new TEXTURE1/2 fucks everything up since I'm using the resource wad or textures. I feel like it's going to be easier by updating ak_resources.wad by adding new textures there than in my map, because is less messy that way. Unless someone can think of a solution.
Any advice?

Copy TEXTURE1 and PNAMES from the resource wad and paste them in your map wad file, then use those to add your textures instead of creating a new TEXTURE1/PNAMES.

1 hour ago, gaspe said:

Copy TEXTURE1 and PNAMES from the resource wad and paste them in your map wad file, then use those to add your textures instead of creating a new TEXTURE1/PNAMES.

Thanks, mate! I'm going to see if that works.

By the way, this is the progress I made so far.

434324.png.58395fc84b4b4b48707267df862ee19e.png

59 minutes ago, TheV1perK1ller said:

@Pegleg Feel free to take over for my slot. I don't think I will be able to have the free time to make my level after all. 

Best of luck everyone!

OK. It's too bad you don't think you'll be able to finish your map, but thanks for the heads up. Maybe next time a project rolls around, you'll be able to participate.

It's been a long time since I used the grass texture as actual grass, and not to go along a TEKGREN texture.

pwqHLi0.png

Well, here it's MAP24 geometry, (with keys and a test cyberdemon fight at the end) for testing purposes. 
Teleport traps not added yet.
It's fully playable. (No monsters though)

Music added for place holding: Mark Klem - The Wind (Memento Mori - MAP10)

Be sure to load with ak_resources.wad.

Max visplanes found in-game : 121
Max visplanes found with Visplane Explorer (opened doors): 121

It's a medium/large sized map. You'll probably exit it in 5 minutes.

Tell me what you think about the design of the map.

I don't think is up to par to other things I did though, but check it out for yourselves.

Also, have in mind that if you make noise in the lecture hall at the end, the librarian is going to try to kick you out .

32423.png.a53f54cfe1b0f06940614b7237541eb6.png

So you like books, eh? Well, have all of them in the world!

Edited by DJVCardMaster

This megawad looks rather promising. I've always loved the look and feel of these old school megawads like Memento Mori 1 and 2 and Requiem. I can't wait to see the final product.

8 hours ago, DJVCardMaster said:

Well, here it's MAP24 geometry, (with keys and a test cyberdemon fight at the end) for testing purposes. 
Teleport traps not added yet.
It's fully playable. (No monsters though)

Not sure what you want us to comment on, there's no gameplay. It's very bland and monotonous. I like the maze room and the little sequence to unlock the YK, it's the kind of stuff that fits for this project soul. Beware at the YK that when the trigger lines are so close to the object it's easy to pick it without activate the trap.

well I'm forced to redo the entire map 12 because my little brother my delete the map 12 and empty the trash :(

1 hour ago, complexDoomer said:

well I'm forced to redo the entire map 12 because my little brother my delete the map 12 and empty the trash :(

look in doombuilder (or whatever editor you use) and see if you have a backup file; rename your backup file to just (filename).wad and see if that works.   for example    mylevel.wad.backup1 just rename to mylevel.wad

7 minutes ago, joepallai said:

look in doombuilder (or whatever editor you use) and see if you have a backup file; rename your backup file to just (filename).wad and see if that works.   for example    mylevel.wad.backup1 just rename to mylevel.wad

I had lost everything

I'm really sorry to hear that as it was looking good in the overhead shot.   I think this is something that happens at least once to every mapper, so you are in good company now.   It still sucks, but at least you're in good company.  

2 hours ago, gaspe said:

Not sure what you want us to comment on, there's no gameplay. It's very bland and monotonous. I like the maze room and the little sequence to unlock the YK, it's the kind of stuff that fits for this project soul. Beware at the YK that when the trigger lines are so close to the object it's easy to pick it without activate the trap.

I know, needs monsters but just wanted to know if anything worked alright, going to see how to fix the YK grab. And maybe add some more detail.

By the way I thought the maze was the worst part