Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
valkiriforce

Akeldama - Now on Idgames!

Great to see all this activity - I've updated accordingly. However most of the E1 slots are taken now, and I know both @complexDoomer and @pc234 wanted an earlier slot that was already claimed. I've listed you for E1 in case anyone either changes their minds or drops out. No one has claimed MAP10 just yet so that's available if either of you would like it, or maybe an earlier slot for E2. It's possible if anyone wants to collaborate on any maps it could be fun for some additional input or ideas if a map isn't completely finished.

@HAK3180 Beat me to it - seemed like the right kind of cryptic term to use for a megawad similar to Memento Mori with "remember you will die" - whereas Akeldama simply means field of blood.

Also I want to bring up the special slots maps 30-32; I would like to brainstorm about these in particular if anyone wants to work out a special boss map or a secret level slot. I did have an idea it might be fun to collaborate on at least one of the secret slots like 31 - could be fun to try and make something abstract or surreal.

Seeing all this activity, I think i'll try out something for episode 3... I have something in mind with that dark sky...

I've added you to the list - all of E1 is now taken. I did make a little mistake in acknowledging both The_SloVinator and Gothic before complexDoomer and pc234, since they technically asked for an earlier slot first, even though The_SloVinator and Gothic claimed a specific slot.

I would like to share some of the existing maps for size comparison - here's a few layouts from E1:

Spoiler

GG6KvNF.png

MAP01 - even though it does look kind of big the map itself isn't too long. I did post the video for it on the first page.

1tnwR8l.png

MAP07 - getting to be a little more medium-sized - I still need to work out some of the monsters in the map. I feel it's a little dragged by having too many encounters, and I want to ease the tension in E1 a bit.

J2UPAbO.png

MAP11 - waverider's gigantic map. He actually used ZokumBSP to help out with the blockmap since it became so huge. It actually has an error where you can walk through walls in some ports, so I had to create a patched version of the map to make it work in later ports. This was another case where it was created early on and I hand't yet established the rules you see in this thread, but this gives you an idea that there are some bigger maps allowed, but they will likely be slotted for the end of each episode depending on the size and difficulty of the map.

56 minutes ago, Pegleg said:

By the way, what is "Akeldama?" Does that title have some meaning?

42 minutes ago, HAK3180 said:

Thanks.

"Field of Blood"

Good title for a Doom megawad. I'm intrigued to see the story.

11 hours ago, valkiriforce said:

Absolutely! I believe joepallai was working on two at one point - I don't know if he's still got his E2 map in the works but I have his name there just in case.

Sure thing, I've got you on the list.

Valkiriforce, feel free to hand over the Map12 slot I was in if it will bring in more mappers.   

5 minutes ago, valkiriforce said:

@complexDoomer I'm sorry I didn't see your message as I was writing mine - would you be up for an E2 slot? I can have you on standby for any E1 slots if any become available for any reason.

yes I want for episode 2

Looks like I need to claim the slot, before the time is up. In that case, I'll take MAP17.

I would like to claim MAP24, or any of the +map20 slots, if possible, I have an interesting map that could fit but I don't know were to put it, Always liked the idea of putting it in a community project
23432432.png.a282567dbf8b9103c5c2a3cfe9dd16ee.png

Oh by the way - very important point, but if you finish your map you can go ahead and post it here; it would be nice to have more community input and it would be beneficial for everyone here. I've updated the first post to include this.

10 minutes ago, valkiriforce said:

Oh by the way - very important point, but if you finish your map you can go ahead and post it here; it would be nice to have more community input and it would be beneficial for everyone here. I've updated the first post to include this.

Of course, but the map is not finished, still needs some more areas, I would say it's 50% complete (without counting the monsters).
Here is a picture of the map at this moment.

34324.png.b4fe5d5af845b8eebc49074bae72ca79.png

EDIT: Also, I'd like to appear as "Diego 'DJV' Villarroel" or simply "DJV" on the credits, if possible :)

Edited by DJVCardMaster

I'd like to drop the slot for MAP08 and claim both 13 and 19, I have an Inmost Dens reimagination that would fit :)

Edit: I'll use the famous Last Ninja 2's title track and the track for DN3D's Flood Zone.

Cool to see another vanilla Doom megawad project in the works—it's always nice to have a classic throwback. Was just thinking it's been a while since we've seen a community project here!

If you don't mind, I'm thinking about contributing something for this. Pencil me down for map26.

It's shaping to be a cool project and I'm looking forward to the finished set, but I have a couple concerns with it going public like this. First, all of the new contributors should keep in mind that this is a vanilla project. This means that maps should be tested extensively in vanilla (ChocoRenderLimits), and that doesn't just mean to get someone to do so after the map is built. Mappers, please test your maps as you make them. Second, how much quality control is this project going to have? I had interest before as the set was initially looking to be a tighter, team-based effort to me. With the project opening up to the public though, I'm concerned that map quality could end up being a fair amount less consistent as a result.

I'm interested in any map I can take in E3, also is the deadline for E3 decided yet?

The only mapslots left now are the last map 30 and the two secret slots. @Pegleg Since you didn't specify a slot for an E2 map I don't mind if you start working on an E2 map anyway as it could potentially replace my MAP16 since I already have a number of maps featured. There's always a chance there may be maps that don't make the 32 here or people drop out - that's all right; we can always have some maps released separately or together depending on what the map authors would like to do with their maps. The same goes for @Aquila Chrysaetos @Malrionn @Walter confetti as my MAP21 can be replaced or either of the secret slots can be occupied.

For now I think that's good concerning the people currently working on maps - we'll figure something out for MAP30 at some point, but for now I would consider all the slots currently taken.

26 minutes ago, AD_79 said:

It's shaping to be a cool project and I'm looking forward to the finished set, but I have a couple concerns with it going public like this. First, all of the new contributors should keep in mind that this is a vanilla project. This means that maps should be tested extensively in vanilla (ChocoRenderLimits), and that doesn't just mean to get someone to do so after the map is built. Mappers, please test your maps as you make them. Second, how much quality control is this project going to have? I had interest before as the set was initially looking to be a tighter, team-based effort to me. With the project opening up to the public though, I'm concerned that map quality could end up being a fair amount less consistent as a result.

I understand this concern and I was sort of in the same place, but I've been there a number of times already with secret projects in the works, so I wanted to open this up for people to sign up for mapslots. There's always the chance we'll get maps that aren't up to par or some other issues crop up along the way, but we know how to deal with it as a community with feedback and bug fixes. I would personally be open to making adjustments to other people's maps if necessary, as I have a lot of experience with vanilla mapping should there be any trouble with it. I did specify that the maps should be tested in Chocolate Doom/chocorenderlimits so that is a requirement and is highly encouraged, and if a map is not playable in either of those without any solutions then it simply won't be accepted.

Also if there are any other good vanilla utilities I would be glad to share them in the first post.

[EDIT] By the way the first post was updated to include some maps up for playtesting; I haven't included maps 7 and 27 yet because I still want to make some adjustments before I share them here.

Edited by valkiriforce

I'm glad to see this project online! :) I'm glad to be part of it, and am sure it will all turn out to something to be proud of! 

@valkiriforce: Let me know if I can be of any help in regards to testing!

35 minutes ago, waverider said:

I'm glad to see this project online! :) I'm glad to be part of it, and am sure it will all turn out to something to be proud of! 

@valkiriforce: Let me know if I can be of any help in regards to testing!

Check the first post - each individual map that is available should be there; it just requires the resource WAD to play them.

2 hours ago, AD_79 said:

Luckly I'm stuck with vanilla mapping since I'm doing that with my megawad, so I think I won't have any problems with my contribution to the project. I'm constantly opening my maps on the visplane explorer to see if I'm not getting greedy with overdetailing.

I consider, anyway, that we should have a Discord server of some sort so we can assist ourselves. Or to give/take advice. Or share our textures aswell.

1 hour ago, valkiriforce said:

@Pegleg Since you didn't specify a slot for an E2 map I don't mind if you start working on an E2 map anyway as it could potentially replace my MAP16 since I already have a number of maps featured. There's always a chance there may be maps that don't make the 32 here or people drop out

OK. I'll start working on my map. That is very generous of you to offer your Map 16 slot. We'll see if it comes to that. Do you have a vague idea of when the deadline for E2 would be?

Ironically, I was thinking of requesting a slot, but decided, "Nah. I'll just leave it to be placed in the appropriate spot later. The episode shouldn't fill up that fast." Whenever I think something like that on Doomworld, it backfires. Oh well.

@AD_79

Your advice on mapping for vanilla is solid, especially the point about checking periodically. Also, while Chocorenderlimits is a definitive check, Visplane Explorer is a good place to start when investigating visplanes, drawsegs, and sidesegs, and it shouldn't be discounted.

And one last thing to point out, there are limits to things like scrolling textures and moving platforms in vanilla that you have to keep in mind, especially if you're used to working with more advanced ports.