Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
valkiriforce

Akeldama - Now on Idgames!

Yeah, really good track! Would love to have it in Map28, fits the atmosphere just right.

I see Episode 2 is complete \o/, and not to sound ungrateful but will it be compiled into a single episode like Episode 1 was? Makes downloading and playthrough a heckuva lot easier.

Also, any idea when the collaborative map31 will be ready? I’m anxious to try the whole thing out

Guess what? MAP30 is finished! I played on all three difficulties and more recently survived Ultra-Violence with only bullets left and not enough to handle one mastermind, lol. I added a couple of extra cell packs and boxes of shells but I've decided to post it as it is right now: https://www.dropbox.com/s/rpw911e3coxzg3h/mindofenmity.wad?dl=0

It does require the latest version of the resource, so I'll go ahead and post that as well - https://www.dropbox.com/s/99kd2uapzp35rdy/ak_resrce.wad?dl=0

The only other issue I've encountered is some possible HOM if you stand in just the right areas, but I'm surprised it seems to mostly hold up. I may see if anything more can be done for it at some point but I do feel it's ready for some outside playtesting.

And with that, we've only got three map slots left to finish up so we're getting close to a completed megawad.

Edited by valkiriforce

Just wanted to pop in and say I am very excited to play this mapset! I've been really hungry for some throwback, classic-style Doom 2 Megawads (2011 was sure a good yeah for vanilla Doom 2, eh?) and it looks like my prayers have been answered! Hopefully, this will be out the door by the end of summer :)

@valkiriforce Just finished map30, and overall i'd say a pretty decent final map. I did have a few qualms with it but a pretty good one that isn't just a "icon of sin".

Main Points:

Spoiler
  • The only part that I really did not like about the map was the beginning with the revenant/chaingunner spam in the tiny start room. It was manageable but not my favorite, I feel like you could half the amount of thing here and still kind of have the same effect but not quite as spammy. Altrernatively you could move them farther out giving the player a chance to kill some of them before they swarm the doorway onto the small room.
  • Ammo balance felt fine up until the blue key path/tower trek, where my ammo slowly started to dwindle as I climbed (with little to replenish), for me it got bad enough that it was more profitable and easier just to run past all the monsters (could be legitimately the point, bu still). Some more rockets and shells could help, and a bit more health as this is where it was getting a bit scarce.
  • The blue key is easy to miss in my mind as its location looks like a side path, plus as stated earlier I had no ammo at this point so I ran past it thinking the correct way was outside. I only realized I missed it when I got to the end and had to redo most of the circuit. maybe just me bit I do think that quite a few people may overlook it. not sure an easy fix for this either.
  • the sector 808 megasphere is kinda pointless since the end is right there and nothing to kill. I realize that you added a door back if the player wanted to kill more things but seeing as this is the final map and there's only 1 secret to find, there isn't a huge motivation to go back.
  • The sector 82 blue armor should probably be a secret since the method of getting it (at least how I did) seems to maybe warrant a secret. on a similar note I feel this map could use more secrets, 

Overall: the map looks quite nice and good atmosphere, blowing up the other icon is a cool ending, gameplay ranges from fair to very hard to just running away. This map could really benefit from a little more ammo and health, more secrets, and maybe less revenants and/or chaingunners at the beginning.

Also found only 1 HOM by the yellow key back side 

Spoiler

m30_1.PNG.c67dd155907105e499a419fcc4d12dbd.PNG

It seems that the version of MAP13 that was released is the old, broken version. I've already linked Valkiriforce a fixed version I made a few months ago which I thought I had already sent, or maybe I did but he didn't see it. Anyways, I hope it's updated soon, because the currently released MAP13 is not beatable.

Edited by Juza

I am trying to work on a slower track, but it's tough at the moment. I might start again from scratch, but I don't know when I'll be done with it.

I’ve been avoiding playing anything from this other than the joint map that Valkiriforce and I made, and another map Valkiri made a couple months ago that blew my socks off. Looking forward to diving into the finished product!!

I played both maps 14 and 15 recently:

MAP14 Chaingunner (can't seem to tag them here as it keeps linking me to another user for some reason)

-I noticed there were no difficulty levels, so it needs implementation.
-Sector 1155 closes once the player drops down, which can lock coop players in previous area if the player dies.
-I feel like the sector 466, 467 and 468 areas should be accessible to the player, and replace the impassible lines with block monster.
-Guess I just didn't find that backpack; I was wishing I had it for the blue key fight with the arch-vile, since I had to run to take cover quickly when they emerged and I stumbled back down to the pit of water where there's no ammo, and I nearly ran out among all the demons being resurrected as I was working my way back up.
-Felt like there could be some more boxes of bullets, maybe as you enter the big room in the sector 272 area and some more ammo in the sector 852 area. It can be unpredictable how many monsters arch-viles will resurrect so I don't think including more ammunition there would hurt.
-Sector 621 area felt like a secret, since I didn't see any incentive for me to go down to the lava teleport which I assumed would just take be back to a safe platform.

Had a lot of fun with this one; lots of exploratory navigation and very impressive architecture for something that manages to stay within the vanilla limits. I think there was one area where it was possible to get an HOM in the sector 977 area in the corner next to sector 997 when looking northeast. There was also one fireplace secret (sector 89) that I thought was difficult to notice in my playthrough. Maybe make the sector 94 a little darker? Otherwise I thought this was a very solid experience. I would like the difficulty levels to be implemented though, so if you'd like I can make the adjustments for you if that's what you'd prefer.

MAP15 @gaspe Played on all three difficulties.

-On easy mode, I thought the revenant in the first trap where you grab the chaingun should be replaced with a former commando or some other lesser monster, then maybe have the singular revenant appear on HMP and both for UV.
-Kind of wished I had more bullets early on, maybe another box of bullets in the BFG area.

I don't have many complaints about this map, really - lots of interesting ideas on display, although I found the damaging water a little annoying specifically in the circular area with the revenants, but I could let it slide honestly. Difficulties seemed well-balanced as well, so it's really that opening revenant trap I would alter for the easy difficulty at least. It just happened on my playthrough on easy I took a rocket to the face when blocked by a spectre and took a dive down to 30hp, then I was shot by a sergeant which I think brought it somewhere below 20. Just seemed kind of brutal of a mistake to make for something on the easy difficulty. I wasn't able to find the secret exit on my playthrough but it looks like you've managed to hide it pretty well behind several other tag actions before unlocking it. Overall it was a pretty cool map with a great atmosphere, and I really liked the texture choices throughout.

very nice. I liked the lettering. It looks very good and reminds me of alien vendetta a bit.

44 minutes ago, valkiriforce said:

I played @antares031's MAP17 today on all three difficulties... On easy mode, a couple of encounters seemed a bit difficult: the sector 560 lift area... and the yellow key grab...

Thanks for the feedback! I'll see what I can do for those encounters on easy mode sooner or later.

On 8/6/2019 at 11:49 PM, valkiriforce said:

MAP15 @gaspe Played on all three difficulties.

-On easy mode, I thought the revenant in the first trap where you grab the chaingun should be replaced with a former commando or some other lesser monster, then maybe have the singular revenant appear on HMP and both for UV.
-Kind of wished I had more bullets early on, maybe another box of bullets in the BFG area.

I don't have many complaints about this map, really - lots of interesting ideas on display, although I found the damaging water a little annoying specifically in the circular area with the revenants, but I could let it slide honestly. Difficulties seemed well-balanced as well, so it's really that opening revenant trap I would alter for the easy difficulty at least. It just happened on my playthrough on easy I took a rocket to the face when blocked by a spectre and took a dive down to 30hp, then I was shot by a sergeant which I think brought it somewhere below 20. Just seemed kind of brutal of a mistake to make for something on the easy difficulty. I wasn't able to find the secret exit on my playthrough but it looks like you've managed to hide it pretty well behind several other tag actions before unlocking it. Overall it was a pretty cool map with a great atmosphere, and I really liked the texture choices throughout.

Thank you, I'm very glad you liked the map. The suggestions for the lower difficulty levels are welcome.

Hey, I'm pretty late to the party but I cranked out a MIDI today if anyone would like to use it - I know I said I'd do stuff for this but have been tied up with a bunch of other things lately, sorry!

Illusion (02:53)

@joepallai Tried playing MAP25 on easy, but it didn't seem like there were many less monsters than on UV, so I decided to just go for that.

I think the biggest obstacle of this map is the amount of chaingunners in open spaces; wandering outside can feel rather suicide at times, as it's easy to lose track of two or three chaingunners on upper platforms far away while attacking other nearby monsters. There was also a box of bullets and shells (things 273 & 274) that were stuck on a high platform unintentionally on sectors 211 and 213. I don't remember of the medikit was also stuck up there but I would just space the items around those sectors a little more as they seem too close to the platforms.

I was confused by the two stuck cyberdemons and the arch-vile, as I happened across that secret area where they can be crushed, but I guess looking at the editor they are intended to teleport elsewhere and cause trouble when you grab the BFG. It just doesn't look right to see the two cybers stuck like that, although I can understand crushing them as a bonus for disabling a later trap.

Checking the difficulties, I definitely think the map should be less brutal for casual players. I was getting decimated on HNTR as I went in not expecting the amount of gunners and revenants coming at me from all sides. Even though I found that megasphere secret in the beginning I was still brought down to the lower 20-30 range of health. Aside from the amount of chaingunners and other open space hazards I did think there could be more health available near the start with some armor. I reached a point where after many deaths I decided to IDDQD through the map just to see the rest, and I definitely think that exit platform can be suicide, and the cyber appears on all difficulties. I would definitely remove them from ITYTD/HNTR, and place the cyber behind a number of enemies so the player has at least a moment to respond and take cover instead of taking a rocket at point-blank range just inches from the exit switch, it just seems a little too cruel.

Unfortunately, the other issue I ran into was a number of HOMs as seen in chocorenderlimits.

L2IGHiu.png

Im2brED.png

IBGCSRX.png

UeznLYA.png

I still think the map is great, and I like a lot of the details and open wandering of the layout. I just think the difficulty needs major adjustment for the lower settings as I felt the amount of chaingunners would discourage me from being as open to wandering as I'd like to for a map of this size.

@Khorus Played MAP28 recently:

-On HNTR, I felt a few encounters could be lighter. The starting area teleporter trap with imps, the sector 71 area with two revenants, the sector 171 area with three chaingunners and the sector 805 area could probably have a couple less cacos. The ring of teleporters in sectors 364, 365 and 132 also felt a bit much with two hell knights in each spot. I would just have one appear in each for easy, then two in each for normal and the revenants on hard.

-As pointed out by Gothic, it's possible to jump to the sector 210 area and get stuck behind the pillars in the upper left corner of sector 219.

-Linedef 924 has a bleeding HOM.

I had a great time playing this map on all three difficulties; I would only adjust the easier setting for casual players that may not expect to face that many monsters in those few instances. I did think the Spider Mastermind/Cyberdemon encounter in sector 347 could have been better set up; It was easy to camp in the corner near the switch to fire at them and take cover. Maybe have the platforms lower to the ground or have a teleport line where they make it to ground level, though it probably wouldn't work so well for the Mastermind. Once again I had a blast running around the level and was really impressed that it seemed to work well under chocorenderlimits without any major issues.

Thanks for the great feedback, valkiriforce :) I'll work on the balancing for the lower difficulties, that's always one of the harder parts to fine tune so appreciate the good ideas there. I'll experiment with teleports that only appear for the cybie in sector 347, see how that plays out. I liked the idea of him being a threat if the player decides to just run, but I think that should still work out in that area if he's a bit mobile on the floor.