Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
valkiriforce

Akeldama - First Beta Released!

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, valkiriforce said:

@DukeOfDoom I'd actually appreciate it if you would wait - as I do already have a concept in mind for MAP31. We also have a number of people working on episode 3 submissions, so I've put the last few slots on hold for a later time. Feel free to share any ideas you might have though, as I was thinking MAP31 could be a good hub-based map where people can collaborate to create separate areas - some with more traditional Doom themes and others with a surreal atmosphere. I thought it might be a fun idea to play around with, but at the moment I'm focusing on getting episode 1 finished up while episode 2 is a work in progress.

Sure! :)

Share this post


Link to post

Been busy at work but had a really good weekend working on this.   It looks like I cut out more than I added, but sometimes that needs to happen.  Sketches for the SE section are pretty solid, but I'm going to wrap up the SW section first.   

 

Also have at least one map critique to wrap up.

more progress no really.png

Share this post


Link to post

Well, seems I have the green light to work on MAP08 (At least for now), and I have almost all the layout finished for it, here are a couple of pics of it.

12313.png.de647986d4ccd1c17b3f52c91aded840.png
23432.png.711abec857a540c99fb5c66cd9cc98df.png

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)

At the moment not really - I'm still keeping the last few slots reserved for a later time, but there's always a chance someone will drop out or we don't get enough maps by the second deadline, so I'll be sure to keep you in mind for that (as well as the possibility of a collab map for MAP31).

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)

I had a bit of free time last night so I streamed the first few maps of E1 (excluding mine)

 

Had a great time chainsawing on map5 and imp punching on 6

 

 

All UV, map4 and 5 are FDAs, these are also possibly old versions of map2 and 6, not sure

Share this post


Link to post

@dt_ I'm impressed by your judicious chainsaw skills, Originally I had balanced the ammo in the map so you would exit with almost no ammo but never using the chainsaw, I was unaware how good use could leave you with half/full ammo. Not an issue but I'm intrigued as I never tried that when testing. I appreciate the playtest.

Share this post


Link to post

Just so you know, the chainsaw has awesome reach in skulltag and zdoom ports, you see me saw that Tron? You can forget that nonsense in vanilla or boom

Share this post


Link to post

Haven't touched my map in almost a month. Had kind of a block for it but today I'm going back in the jam. Not much left to do. 

Share this post


Link to post

Hello, playtester reporting here. My testing was done for the purpose of acknowledging skill settings and to give some feedback from a casual player perspective. First a standard playthrough on UV using saves whenever I felt the need, then a speedy god mode run on HMP and HNTR to check on differences and possible missing stuff. Lastly, a nomonsters panoramic run to spot misalignments, HOMs or whatever. Currently I have played three of the maps and I'll be checking the rest on different days. Of course, used Chocolate Doom (3.0.0). 

 

@Philnemba

 

- Fine map, solid gameplay for an early slot. Liked the gimmick with the HKs at the start. 

- I feel like there could be a couple changes to the symmetric detailing, e.g. the boxes at the start, or these trees. Maybe a stick here too, so the fence looks better.

- In regards to skill settings, I found that UV and HMP only notable differences are some extra pinkies, which are the least dangerous enemies. My suggestion is to reduce the sergeants count instead, one less in each ambush, or replacing a few with zombiemen. The BK setup could use one sergeant in the middle and two zombiemen on each side. HNTR was fine.

- The YK lift setup should be darker so spectres are harder to see (from their closets), thus more efficient imo. Reason is, in Chocolate Doom spectres are very very easy to see at any distance, contrary to source ports that support much higher resolutions where they are nearly invisible. 

- One important thing: when checking HNTR I immediately run from the start and one HK didn't teleport out, thus breaking the gimmick. Probably because that same HK didn't see me right at the start, not sure. 

- Really hope the MM2 track is included in the final release :3

 

@Doomkid

 

- Another fun map, high gameplay value. As with Philnemba, I'm not familiar with your style, but I noticed some tropes similar to Rudy's (that was the name right?). Plenty of low-tiers with a few mid-tiers mixed, lots of hitscanners to keep the player moving. 

- I noticed that skills haven't been implemented yet. The balance ammo/health/etc on UV seemed pretty good. I would still suggest to change a couple boxes of shells for bullets, since the combat seemed suitable for fast-paced. 

- Saw this weird visual glitch from this spot.

- Visually a little crude in places, particularly the big white room and exit room, I thought maybe lowering the ceiling a few pixels would help since it looks too spacious imo, or some windows. I found these hanging corpses hilarious but they looked out of place imo.  

- Exit is abrupt. Here's a option: leave only sergeants there, plus one chaingunner behind the switch, then this switch opens monster closets (asymmetrically placed :P) plus cacodemons teleporting in the pit. One of these closets has a switch to open the exit door. This little room could have an imp, for giggles. 

- For some reason, in -nomonsters this door cannot be opened from one side. 

 

@gaspe

 

- High TNTR vibes. The PL2/DN3 midi goes well. I had a lot of fun exploring and unraveling the secrets, found them all including the secret exit. One thing that caught me by surprise was the damaging water, I suppose it's polluted or electrified. Aesthetically I really dig the mishmash and frequent usage of that blooded metal texture. 

- My only gripe is the exit room, that archvile is a dick move for those who didn't get the secret BFG. I could tank two hits because of an earlier secret soulsphere and I hadn't found the BFG yet. Personal options: 1. make him absent on HMP/HNTR, whereas on UV it could teleport 5-8 seconds later (after the other monsters appeared), so there's an opportunity to kill him with rockets or plasma while he's resurrecting stuff, still dickish but gives enough time to handle it better without BFG imo. 2. Make him teleport in the exit room, and present on every skill level.

- Also, the setup takes no longer than 6 seconds to beat, could the timer be lower?

- Found two lost souls stuck on each other on UV here.

- Secret with PEs and cell pack, on HNTR I would get rid of one PE. 

- Just a minor detail, could you place a stick on this corner?

 

Hope I was clear enough with my explanations, in regards to my nomo checks there were no HOMs or misaligned textures that I could spot. Will check other maps soon.

Share this post


Link to post

 

maps 7,8 and 11

 

That dropdown pit in 7 with the 4 mancs and following hitscan fight is mega tough if you do not have your wits about you (like me)

 

Clipped through a load of walls in 11 (don't think I'm playing the patched version), plus skipped about 2/3rds of the map by hopping over the yellow bars, but I'm guessing those crates and low bars are there deliberately...

Share this post


Link to post
7 hours ago, dt_ said:

 

maps 7,8 and 11

 

That dropdown pit in 7 with the 4 mancs and following hitscan fight is mega tough if you do not have your wits about you (like me)

 

Clipped through a load of walls in 11 (don't think I'm playing the patched version), plus skipped about 2/3rds of the map by hopping over the yellow bars, but I'm guessing those crates and low bars are there deliberately...

 

It's funny. I also used the song "Slipper" in my map but I am going to compose my own song eventually. But yeah Slipper is a great song, so catchy, one of Mark Klem's best.

Share this post


Link to post
On 3/25/2019 at 12:16 AM, galileo31dos01 said:

- High TNTR vibes. The PL2/DN3 midi goes well. I had a lot of fun exploring and unraveling the secrets, found them all including the secret exit. One thing that caught me by surprise was the damaging water, I suppose it's polluted or electrified. Aesthetically I really dig the mishmash and frequent usage of that blooded metal texture. 

- My only gripe is the exit room, that archvile is a dick move for those who didn't get the secret BFG. I could tank two hits because of an earlier secret soulsphere and I hadn't found the BFG yet. Personal options: 1. make him absent on HMP/HNTR, whereas on UV it could teleport 5-8 seconds later (after the other monsters appeared), so there's an opportunity to kill him with rockets or plasma while he's resurrecting stuff, still dickish but gives enough time to handle it better without BFG imo. 2. Make him teleport in the exit room, and present on every skill level.

- Also, the setup takes no longer than 6 seconds to beat, could the timer be lower?

- Found two lost souls stuck on each other on UV here.

- Secret with PEs and cell pack, on HNTR I would get rid of one PE. 

- Just a minor detail, could you place a stick on this corner?

 

Thanks for the feedback. About the exit room those are some good suggestions, the time the door is closed is rather long (30 seconds with that action iirc) so making the archvile to come in later sounds good, and it will be probably swapped with another monster for HNTR.

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)
On 3/25/2019 at 8:43 PM, dt_ said:
Clipped through a load of walls in 11 (don't think I'm playing the patched version), plus skipped about 2/3rds of the map by hopping over the yellow bars, but I'm guessing those crates and low bars are there deliberately...

 

I'm aware of the issue in my Map11 with the clipping. Since I used ZokumBSP when building the nodes for the map so I could make it bigger, (with a bigger blockmap), with the "unpatched" version you will clip through walls in ports like ZDoom and some other MBF compatible ports. It's like this: If you use the non-patched version: PRBoom+ v2.5.1.4/2.5.1.5 needs to have strict Doom v1.9 compatibility enabled. Most of the newer versions of ports nowadays should have this MBF issue fixed, but if not - you need to enable strict 1.9 compatibility or use the patched version whenever using a limit-removing port.

 

The non-patched version works without issues in GZDoom, Eternity (from what I've heard) as well as all vanilla ports like the vanilla/chocolate exe:s. The patched version runs on all limit-removing ports but will crash when used with vanilla ports.

 

valkiriforce is aware of this issue, he did give me the green light to have two versions of the map available, but if I get serious complaints maybe I should just make the map smaller by cutting out some rooms. I'll wait and see what to do.

 

And yeah, the low bars and crate shortcut is indeed intentional. Did you find it too easy to discover?

Edited by waverider

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)

Thank you guys for taking the time to playtest the maps - I still have much catching up to do leaving feedback on what's available. I'll admit to having experienced a little burnout from working on Doom maps since I spent most of last year's free time getting this project ready along with all the other contributions I made to other projects. I do however still check this thread most every day to try and stay on top of things, and I have a MAP10 in the works I may want to make a collaboration.

 

I did play some of @complexDoomer's MAP12 though it crashed on me when I activated a lift which is missing a tag, and there were some other visual errors including a tutti-frutti effect and a visplane overflow. I'll post more comprehensive feedback when I give it a proper playthrough but at the moment I'm thinking this map will either require an overhaul which I'd be glad to do myself or it won't be accepted since it goes against vanilla's limits.

 

[EDIT] Okay so I played the map again; sectors 217 and 218 need accompanying tags for the lift functions as well as linedef 1280 and 1296. Obviously there's some overflow in the sector 156 area and all the steps near the start have that tutti-frutti effect. I think the action for the map felt really low and non-threatening especially for someone coming out of a map like waverider's MAP11. It could use some addition traps and action throughout I thought, and possibly some more visual flair would round it out nicely like windows outside. If you don't mind I'd actually like to see if I can manage to fit this map within vanilla's limits and maybe make some of those changes myself. Otherwise thematically I really liked this map; it just needs some additional adjustments to better fit the project.

 

One last thing - I don't think this map has a proper name. If you'd like to give it a name be sure to let me know in this thread, otherwise I could give it a name.

Edited by valkiriforce

Share this post


Link to post

Decided to post a status update as it has been sometime since my last one. I rework my initial level as it was too small for Map23 slot. 2/3 of the way done with the layout and getting the central room to work in Chocolate Doom has proven to be somewhat of a pain.3BK1ot6.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
On 3/24/2019 at 6:16 PM, galileo31dos01 said:

 

@Philnemba

 

- Fine map, solid gameplay for an early slot. Liked the gimmick with the HKs at the start. 

- I feel like there could be a couple changes to the symmetric detailing, e.g. the boxes at the start, or these trees. Maybe a stick here too, so the fence looks better.

- In regards to skill settings, I found that UV and HMP only notable differences are some extra pinkies, which are the least dangerous enemies. My suggestion is to reduce the sergeants count instead, one less in each ambush, or replacing a few with zombiemen. The BK setup could use one sergeant in the middle and two zombiemen on each side. HNTR was fine.

- The YK lift setup should be darker so spectres are harder to see (from their closets), thus more efficient imo. Reason is, in Chocolate Doom spectres are very very easy to see at any distance, contrary to source ports that support much higher resolutions where they are nearly invisible. 

- One important thing: when checking HNTR I immediately run from the start and one HK didn't teleport out, thus breaking the gimmick. Probably because that same HK didn't see me right at the start, not sure. 

- Really hope the MM2 track is included in the final release :3

 

That's for the feedback & suggestions on the skill settings so I'll see about maybe doing a slight adjustment on them whenever I get time.

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)

Played @Juza's map:

 

-The sector 191 pillars shut permanently unless you walk past linedef 3736. The problem with this is if a co-op player wanders into this area and dies the other players will be trapped outside of the room and the map will be stuck. Make a way for players to be able to enter that area should it be closed off.

-The sector 317 door can also shut permanently if a player dies beyond it while other players are traversing the map. Best to make the linedef 3967 switch a repeatable action.

-Linedef 3736 should be a walk-repeatable action in case the line is tripped without triggering the effect.

-Some of the sectors holding monsters outside the map had lines that were not marked as hidden.

 

This map felt like a more claustrophobic version of an Alien Vendetta experience, and it wasn't without some frustrating moments (like the green circular room with the arch-vile and very thin pillars) but I still managed to have fun with this map. I'm impressed at how much it feels just like an old school experience with the setting and nice attention to detail all around; this is just the kind of map I can envision as belonging to a project like this. I did however run into a possible VPO which I'm sure could be fixed, as it was near the start area looking out from the two doors. I tried reducing the light levels by joining sectors by the starting teleporter and reducing the number of sectors by eliminating the teleport destination by the start and joining it with another, and it seems to be just fine now. I do think some areas where a little too tight when it comes to face-to-face combat with some tougher monsters that require quick reflexes, like riding up the lift at sector 385 and coming up to a caged revenant with two hell knights immediately to my right and left. I died a couple of times playing this map, but I managed to get through some tough spots surprisingly. That yellow key room was brutal when it gave me the rocket launcher to be used on the surrounding hell knights and barons only to have blasted myself when a bunch of spectres teleport in after grabbing the yellow key.

 

I was a little annoyed with the random damage taken every time I passed through some toxic area into the next, or when I needed some place to take a little cover from getting hailed on by spectres and hell knights. I was thankful the toxic floors on the staircase by the red bars weren't damaging for this reason; I would almost suggest either making them non-damaging or at least providing some radiation suits some place, as it just makes any area feel that much more closed in despite being an open space. It was these kind of areas that made me feel like I was walking a tightrope when things got heated and I was low on health. I also felt the pillars in sector 372 were intrusive on space. Maybe it could stand to have an additional secret or two?

 

Overall, I still really enjoyed the map and I like the atmosphere. Definitely gave me that classic megawad feeling.

 

[EDIT] Nearly forgot there was also a HOM on linedef 2727 when the lift lowers.

Edited by valkiriforce

Share this post


Link to post

@waverider yeah it did stick out to me a bit, not sure why.  I did not see the rest of the map but what I did play was quite enjoyable, with plenty of cell and rocket ammo and loads of comedy infighting potential which is ace.  Kind of feel like I missed out going for the skip, so I suppose you could leave an unlocked switch at the other side that lowers the bars, not really sure whether to say leave it in or remove at this point, although I will reiterate that I stream with skulltag which I believe is known for its air control properties, it may be a really difficult skip in choco or boom

Share this post


Link to post

SW corner basically wrapped up (or will be over the weekend).   Another four days of work and then I'm on vacation, so I'll be able to get at least one full day's worth of mapping done once I get the sheet-rocking done in my office.   Still debating using all 3 keys (leaning towards no...).  Might chop out a small section in the north, but could repurpose it to be a key driven secret (not sure yet).   SE corner next, then central area wrap-up and DM starts.   Debating how to handle multi-player starts; kind of leaning towards separate start locations and they all meet up in the middle-NW area.

ak25progress.png

Share this post


Link to post
On 3/30/2019 at 4:36 AM, valkiriforce said:

[EDIT] Nearly forgot there was also a HOM on linedef 2727 when the lift lowers.

 

Yep. Doom Builder probably deleted the lower texture. Always pays to double check your lifts.

Share this post


Link to post

@Khorus   Thanks,  as stupid as this sounds I did get inspired by the long north-south diagonal line below the cavern section.  It happened accidentally when I had multiple lines selected along with some enemies that I wanted to move--I fell in love with the result.   The SE section's angles reminded me of Eternal Dooms later maps with their expansive SE sections; personally I've always loved Eternal Doom and have been inspired by it so this is a good thing.

 

I am loving the first screenshot and really like the atmosphere there.   Your map's overview is extremely exciting and looks like it will be a blast to explore.

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)

I've updated the first post with the correct version (as well as the wad itself).

 

@The Mysterious Moustachio I was curious; would you be interested in collaborating on MAP10? It's kind of big but I don't imagine it'll take too long to finish playing when it's done. I don't have too much to show for it just yet but I'm working on it (I'll probably change how that waterfall looks). Also, I know you have other projects you've been working on, so I would understand if you're busy.

 

kNVDjnx.png

 

p0ijdgc.png

Edited by valkiriforce

Share this post


Link to post

Yes, I'm still figuring out what to do with it. I'll be sure to let you know if I can work something out with it, or if it comes to it I wouldn't mind handing it over to someone else, if that's okay with you. But, I'll likely look over it again and make adjustments where I see fit.

Share this post


Link to post
5 hours ago, valkiriforce said:

Yes, I'm still figuring out what to do with it. I'll be sure to let you know if I can work something out with it, or if it comes to it I wouldn't mind handing it over to someone else, if that's okay with you. But, I'll likely look over it again and make adjustments where I see fit.


Ok!, just let me know about it

Share this post


Link to post

Yeet,

 

 

 

All submitted e2 maps, played continuously

 

All good fun, no errors except map13, but I think i've either loaded an old resource wad or something, don't think Juza would let a map out with half the textures missing

 

12 - nice simple map, reminds me a bit of map 3 of evilution at the start.  Could use some guns though, especially at the exit with 2 surprise viles to waste, I really tried with just the sg but eventually got roasted.

 

13 - some fun but harsh challenges here, that vile while surrounded by revs and imps ankle deep in nukage is really tough, would be a lot of fun maybe if there was no nukage, but I guess that goes against the grain of 'toxic disgust' heh.  I feel like not having correct wad loaded nerfed what would have been a dark crawl through caverns as everything was ultra obvious

 

15 - I found this mega tough (played all on uv) and also maybe a little cramped in some areas, but looked really good and was mostly good fun, did not expect damaging water in that cyber area, it made short work of me.  Pistol starting this one would have been difficult 

 

16 - a right laugh, loads of supplies that encouraged sloppy, happy go lucky play with plenty of different paths to choose

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
On 4/4/2019 at 12:20 PM, valkiriforce said:

I've updated the first post with the correct version (as well as the wad itself).

 

@The Mysterious Moustachio I was curious; would you be interested in collaborating on MAP10? It's kind of big but I don't imagine it'll take too long to finish playing when it's done. I don't have too much to show for it just yet but I'm working on it (I'll probably change how that waterfall looks). Also, I know you have other projects you've been working on, so I would understand if you're busy.

 

kNVDjnx.png

 

p0ijdgc.png

 

 

Hey, I'm down! I'm liking the look of that area so far. What kind of theme are you going for with it?

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×