Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
valkiriforce

Akeldama - Now on Idgames!

I might record the wad at some point. Consider me interested for some vanilla compat set gameplay...

Big congrats for the release!

It's amazing how you guys managed to release such a high-quality mapset in barely over a year!

I played four maps and I'm genuinely pleased with the soundtrack. I expected something more cartoony, as it often is in Doom megawads.

If this doesn't become ultra hard later, I'll probably finish it. Didn't expect it either, as it's been a while since I was interested in a "nostalgic" set of 32 maps.

Hey, you guys can check my playlist. I promise that I'll do all maps. Be certain of that.....

Also, wanted to put this thumbnail for the playlist but YT doesn't let me do it...

Spoiler

image.png.1e5496445d5cc0c8023b5ee97bdf35b6.png

Congrats on completing this; got up to map 12 so far; and has the rare distinction of being fun for me to play as more of a casual player on HNTR!

So great job on the difficulty balancing, whoever was responsible for that; I end up getting very frustrated in several modern wads when they always cater for the high end of the skill spectrum exclusively.

Obvious skip on map 11..............a normal run does the thing like a casual thing :D

One thing that kinda bothered me was how the map was made in terms of area usage. At the start, I thought that would have more traps with monster closets due of how empty the areas were presented and stuff like that but ended up with a loooooooong map with some backtracking and hard fights. I think the premise of the map itself was not what I was expecting to be honest, if I have to put it in a way....or, if you put it in another way, it's a really deceptive map that can fool you and stab you when less expected...

EDIT: Recorded maps 6 to 11....need to wrap this up soon to upload more videos :D

image.png.d4dbf0a12e4fd4cd015a27a168850d8d.png

Edited by leodoom85 : EDIT GALORE!!!

One note: Map 16 I appeared to be unable to progress without noclip; the switch in the green slime room after the crusher seems to be unable to be pulled as there's a blocking line preventing access to it. As I couldn't find another way forwards, I noclipped to the circular room with the revenants to continue which seemed to be okay (although the fact that room has blue lava is a sudden change of rules in that regard). Maybe I was just missing what I was supposed to do though, not sure.

I do know there is an impassable line before that switch on map 15, though it shouldn't prevent the player from being able to interact with it. What sourceport are you playing it in?

13 minutes ago, eharper256 said:

GZDoom 4.3.3 (latest)

actually, GZDoom 4.4 was released today

What I really like about Akeldama is the original soundtrack. My personal favorite songs are in these maps: MAP03, MAP06, MAP12, MAP17, MAP19, MAP21 and MAP32. The best map, umm it is a tough choice. I really loved MAP06, MAP15, MAP17, MAP26, they were all cool maps. Of course I won't include any mention about my map or songs.

Edited by pcorf

19 hours ago, eharper256 said:

GZDoom 4.3.3 (latest)

Could be a compatibility issue - I'm uncertain. It works fine when I play the same map in GZDoom though I have it under strict vanilla settings. I wouldn't think there would be any issues though regardless of compatibility.

19 hours ago, Horus said:

actually, GZDoom 4.4 was released today

anything notable that make it worth to change to 4.4? 

Hey! I need help with one of the secrets in Map 06...

Spoiler

There is a secret room between a waterfall and a baphomet wall on the other side. Can't go through the waterfall, can't get to the baphomet wall (already tried shooting it).

Does somebody have a hint for me? Do I need to find a switch or a teleporter?

Thanks!

btw great WAD! Pretty challenging already in the early maps, but I like it.

1 hour ago, Cacolemon said:

Hey! I need help with one of the secrets in Map 06...

Reveal hidden contents

There is a secret room between a waterfall and a baphomet wall on the other side. Can't go through the waterfall, can't get to the baphomet wall (already tried shooting it).

Does somebody have a hint for me? Do I need to find a switch or a teleporter?

Thanks!

btw great WAD! Pretty challenging already in the early maps, but I like it.

Map 06 secret:

Spoiler

There's a solid metal wall to the side of some metal pipes on one of the two ledge areas by the toxic waste holding imps behind doors. It's a hidden switch there that lowers the platform to the baphomet face which opens up to a secret area.

Glad to hear you're enjoying it!

Just finished the whole WAD today with UV Continuous, total IGT 11:18:18 (lots of saves ;P).

The mapset is a journey, a rather exhausting journey, I would say. Nonetheless, thanks a lot for making this project happen, and I enjoyed it quite a bit.

Design:

The architecture of the maps is just gorgeous. My favorite is Map30 as you traverse through multiple towers, which gives me a similar feeling of Disjunction Map11, one of my all time favorite, although Map30 has a more classic feeling. Overall, I really like the diversity of the maps. Some of the maps' design is a little bit annoying to me, notably Map19 (small sections of the map open up from time to time and there are suddenly a few monsters here and there), but that's just a personal preference, not spreading any hate to the mappers.

I would say if you're not a fan of long maps, probably you will feel very exhausting by playing this. However, if the player likes long maps like a journey, this is one of the most fantastic MegaWADs out there.

Music:

The musics are absolutely beautiful. My favorite is Map21, and I didn't find any bad music in the whole set. Even though I felt tired from time to time by playing the maps as mentioned above, the musics can motivate me to play a little bit more :P

Difficulty:

I feel it's somewhere around Ancient Aliens and Alien Vendetta. I personally rate this something like 2.1/5.

(Reference point: Doom = 0.1; Plutonia = 1; Ancient Aliens = 2; Alien Vendetta = 2.2; Disjunction = 3)

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/676923209 = maps 1-8.

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/677835937 = maps 9-15.

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/678801093 = maps 31,32 and 16-24.

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/679718400 = maps 25-30.

Overall a decent enough megawad. Would have liked to have seen a few more shorter maps throughout. Was nice to see a map 30 that DIDN'T involve an Icon of Sin fight for a change; in my opinion, something we need to see far more of in the Doom community when it comes to concluding megawads.

@valkiriforce If you are thinking about making a update to fix some of those VPO problems, another small fix that would be appreciated if the corners of the arachnotron pillars in map31 (sectors 271 and 272) were brought out 8 units (so the sides are all 160 units, square, and texture offsets on all 4 sides should be X:-16, y:0). It seems despite aracs being 128 units, they get stuck when teleporting into the 144 sq unit space if not hit, expanding them to 160 sq units seems to fix this.

if an update were to be issued, i would like to do some fixes to my tracks Fallen Empire (map 14) and Death (map 21). i found out i accidentally left duplicate notes in those tracks, which makes those tracks unexpectedly louder in some parts than intended. it's not a huge issue if it doesn't get fixed, but i'd like to fix those issues if i could.

Map 14 update:
+Added proper background for the balcony near the beginning
+Added latest version of midi
+Door from the BK room now works properly.image.png.956cf4562577f7a8755f9a2ff24779c6.png

akmap14F.zip

Welp... on the other hand, I certainly don't hope for a fix that will make all the demos desync...

I guess next time if there's a project, make sure everything is fixed before going to idgames.

I'm not saying he should/shouldn't update the WAD, but the fact that updating a WAD in this point would cause a lot of annoyance. TBH, I guess nobody cares too much about demos or whatnot.

There's no right answer here. It's up to the Valkiriforce/team to decide whether or not to update and players to decide whether to redo any demo's that might desync if an update eventuates. The positive is that it is unlikely that many maps will be affected, so not many demos would become void.

In order to discover the bugs, you need the diversity of testing that comes naturally from a "final idgames release" when everyone downloads and plays it (most of them for the first time) and on vast number of systems and srcports. You just won't get this breadth of testing from the small fraction of testers that are prepared to give the betas and release candidates a thorough work out, hard as they may try. You can almost bet on a final release uncovering a handful of bugs, especially for a megawad chock full of large maps like Akeldama. For anyone that makes demos, I would suggest not work too hard on churning out highly optimized demos of any new release until several months later. Only spend as much time on early demos as you are prepared to lose. As time passes, the likelihood of post release patch goes down considerably.

Sorry, but I'm not accepting any more updates for this project - it's a finished megawad, and the only update I was entertaining was the mislabeled linedef action on MAP14 which could cause a VPO in Chocolate Doom.