Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
valkiriforce

Akeldama - Now on Idgames!

2 minutes ago, DerFurer'sFace said:

@valkiriforce

I'm still planning to add some detailing but my MAP05 "Bunker Hill" is ready for playtesting, I hope people have fun playing it and I am open to all criticism or critiques.

Hide contents

Screenshot_Doom_20190219_004757.png.6711c165ae3be62af65180bc76edce47.pngScreenshot_Doom_20190219_004734.png.d393718d2ad96b07c956ec9372fde8a3.pngScreenshot_Doom_20190219_004728.png.c6434b1289fb356c7703f1e8a68472d4.pngScreenshot_Doom_20190219_004720.png.ac8b8b760487dddd2feccb9e8173a361.png

Looks really nice indeed.

Update to Insurrection

-Blue key area got a visual overhaul, and a shorcut to the blue key door.

-Extended the exit area.

-The switch to reveal the computer area secret is a little more noticeable.

Download

Played @DerFurer'sFace's Bunker Hill:

-I hit some segs overflow areas in some of the wide open landscapes.

-Felt some textures looked a bit clashing in certain areas.

-Encountered a HOM effect in the exit with the sky, which shouldn't be visible beneath it since it'll just loop the visuals of the mountains on top of each other.

-Linedef 2089 / 2092 exit door is a 72-unit texture, but the area surrounding it is 80 units high, which causes it to loop at the top.

Overall I had fun with this level; I did encounter the rocket launcher a bit later after I'd killed a bunch of cacodemons and revenants with the shotgun / chaingun combo, so I did wish I had come across it sooner since I took the other route going around the level. I really like the theme of trenches and dug-in forts where imps and gunners can snipe at you. I do wonder how to handle the segs issue since I came across it a couple of times in two different areas: one of them was near sector 320 looking southeast, and the other was around sector 66 looking west. Maybe some additional light levels for areas like the tunnel at sector 65, since it's at the same level as the surrounding light areas. Didn't think the sector 138 secret had much that was valuable in it; maybe move the mega armor near the berserk pack secret to that area?

I don't think the clashing textures are as much of an issue; it did start to grow on me as I was playing the level. I only thought some bits like the red brick steps and the A-MARBLE windows looked a bit odd. It gives me a Kama Sutra kind of vibe with all the various Doom 2 textures being put to use throughout the map. I would however change up the exit visual since I don't think it looks very good with the sky looping itself the way it does.

As far as the segs issue, I'm thinking you could probably remove some of the additional piles of snow that are on top of the ledges where the player can't reach anyway, so I don't think it'll take much away visually speaking. If you need any help making it manageable I can always take a look at it myself and see if I can fix it up.

Ah, i didn't think about the drawseg limit, I can fix that by making rounded corners more blocky. I'll take a look at it later when I can. I focused mostly on visplanes that I forgot about the visplanes, but I did see some of those when testing.

As for the rocket launcher. You can get it by accessing the "artillery pillar" behind the main complex, but the idea was if the player wanted it earlier they needed to fight the monster trap. I could introduce it earlier (like the start) on easier difficulties (UV should still have to fight for it I think). 

also I agree about the exit, i'll spruce it up since I was on the fence about the sky exit, but you're right its ugly. I'll change it to a teleporter probably.

Alright, Sadly I was away from home so I could not playtest, but I've made some changes to MAP05. I'll test it later when I can and continue to edit, changes:

-Added a RL in the left bunker area

-Removed a lot of excess lines and vertices to try and reduce drawsegs

-converted the exit into a teleporter to remove skybox errors

-added a invisibility and a backpack to the sector 136 secret

-added some monsters/items/and extra detail in areas (exit)

The download link was updated.

OK after play-testing again, I think I caught all the drawseg errors since I couldn't find any (the ones I found earlier were gone too so that's a good sign). I made a couple more changes in addition to the ones above:

-Added more monsters so the exit is more of a fight than a straight walkout

-re-balanced ammo so you don't exit loaded with shotgun shells and rockets

-more line/vertices cleanup

-moved the sector 129 secret switch (blue key arena) so its not quite as noticeable

-some light editing

link was updated with recent version

Hey @valkiriforce I notice that the link on OP on my map is outdated and not available as I deleted it due to this post(probably should've just keep updating my map in my original post in the thread -_-;). Also screenshots here and the map is completely finish unless you feel like there are any minor changes or issues that I'm not aware about.   

Sorry about that - I've updated with the correct link in the first post.

Also for those left working on E1 maps @Doomkid @pc234 @ETTiNGRiNDER there's less than 2 weeks left before the deadline, so be sure to get your maps finished on time.

EDIT: I've gotten a status bar from both galileo31dos01 and Gothic; what do you guys think?

CssQ7yo.png

Nf2IfRA.png

Personally I'm leaning towards the latter since it fits the dark and red theme of the M_DOOM graphic.

Edited by valkiriforce

Overall I like the first HUD more, but yes the second one thematically blends better with the title design and other interpics 

First one is good but it feels a bit plutonia, the second one feels more 90s and in line with the project to me.

The first one is easier to read, but the second one does fit with the M_DOOM. Tough to say, but the design of the second one would probably be more cohesive.

I like both huds, it's hard to decide. But like others already said, the Hell Revealed inspired one (the second one) does fit better with the M_DOOM.

The first option is a bit easier on the eyes and easier to read, though I do think the second one fits in better as many others have said already.
I'm honestly torn between the two.

As designed, I prefer the first HUD. I don't like the font in the second HUD in this context, because it's not as readable. With a different font, I'd like the second HUD more.

Here's a first public test version for mine.  There's probably an amount of additional detailsing that could be done and such, but let's see that there's nothing horribly wrong before I spend the last available time on fiddly stuff.

eg-akel.wad.zip

It's sort of a Top Secret Research Facility so I guess that's the title.

3 hours ago, Pegleg said:

With a different font, I'd like the second HUD more.

I think the font of the first would work well with the second, just keep the same color and background to the hud.

9 hours ago, ETTiNGRiNDER said:

Here's a first public test version for mine.  There's probably an amount of additional detailsing that could be done and such, but let's see that there's nothing horribly wrong before I spend the last available time on fiddly stuff.

eg-akel.wad.zip

It's sort of a Top Secret Research Facility so I guess that's the title.

It really needs detailing here, tons of open and IMMENSE areas with an abusive amount of badly aligned STARTAN textures, the layout doesn't help too much either.
This looks like an old 1996 map for me. Not sure what the rest would think about it.

Perhaps, adding some sort of gradient on the HUD text could make it easier to read while maintaining the redness? Something moreso like the UDoom credits screen versus the pillow shading that's on the HUD text now.

EDIT:

Spoiler

DoomCREDITUD.png

Played Map05 "Bunker Hill" today (on HMP) and found it to be superb overall; very little I would change honestly.   It definitely felt right; I could easily see this being in a 90's classic (MM2 especially) and it was so rewarding when I finally was able to beat this level with 93% kills and the rest at 100%.   (Still not sure what I missed monster-wise though).

I must have died 12 times before I beat it--but most of the time I wasn't blaming the level design, it was I ran out of ammo due to missed shots or I trapped myself between monsters.   Your use of revenants was particularly good I thought (especially the first one that teleports into the western path, he killed me 3 times).  I also liked your use of the Brick11 and 12 textures in the NW section of the map (that worked perfectly) but am not really liking their use elsewhere.   The trenches worked brilliantly and really made the level's fights stand out as you cut off the player's movement while getting pummeled from imp fireballs from the sides as demons are charging forward with the odd caco drifting in from an opposite side.  

Things I'd change:

The med-kit in the eastern path was always in my way, no matter which direction I took; it just became this wasted item for me.   I'd shove it to one side or the other or move it north into the corner on that curve.   (This is how good the map was, as my first complaint was this petty)

I wish the chainsaw was sooner, I found it nearly wasted where it was; if it was before the red key area in say sector 214 (replacing the RL) or sector 133 it could be used against the demons guarding the red key (especially when coming from the southern passage).  (also that box of shells in the southern passage leading into the red key area is just in the way most of the time, you could move it to an earlier section of the map or even delete it).

The blue door you encounter outside near sector 133 only works from inside the blue area.  I don't see its purpose (unless it's for DM) and would be inclined to delete it.

I half expected a pop-up monster in the water at the end; not sure it's a disappointment to not have that.  (I'd keep this as is on 2nd thought).  (or put a non-deaf PE in there to make the player burn up ammo getting to the exit...)

Technical issue

I did have a slime trail with the snow mound in the starting area (both facing east and west when on the northern side of the mound and looking to the stairs).   I'd try moving the snow against the building and door 1st as it seems to be where the nodes align with the stair posts that is causing the problem.

Like I said, I really did like this map and will be looking for your other stuff after playing this.   Joe

Edited by joepallai : added HMP

Made some changes to map05 based on the above feedback:

-added a mancubus guarding the red key on medium difficulty

-moved a couple items so the player is not forced to pick it up

-moved around the courtyard snow pile

I got an updated chillwell:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/guzo7aqznkb3f6m/CHILLWELLv2.wad?dl=1

-some detail removed to get it under various limits in various places, and some added in others

-1 extra secret added

-1 random weird line that didn't render properly deleted

-2 hell knights moved back near the RL area so they don't rip your arse instantly

-start area altered slightly, shotgun is accessible quicker