Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
valkiriforce

Akeldama - Now on Idgames!

10 hours ago, joepallai said:

Thanks @EffinghamHuffnagel for the playtesting and bug finding.  It looks like I'm not done yet with Map25....

and the lost soul by the yellow key was intended as decoration; glad you liked that.

If you don't mind I can make those fixes to your map since they're nothing too major, and I've already adjusted the thing placement for the lower difficulties. Might be easier than having to send it over again.

My thing bug findings after running through the beta.

MAP05: Teleport destinations 117 and 118 only flagged for UV/NM

MAP18: Teleport destinations 583 and 576 only flagged for UV/NM

MAP25: Linedef 4793 is supposed to open the teleporter (701) behind it, but doesn't. Upon inspecting it I notice that there's two sectors one that is 16 units high (the outer sector which is 612) and the other being the teleporter (701), but since it's the 612 that's the door it doesn't open all the way.

MAP28: There's a revenant (thing 754, only on Easy) and an imp (thing 1085, only on Easy and Medium), that didn't teleport in to the final area.

On 10/21/2019 at 9:08 AM, waverider said:

- It's possible to get stuck near sector 96 if you press yourself between the wall and the green torch, doesn't seem possible to get out once stuck.
- There's a bleeding error in sector 104, shown here: http://www.mediafire.com/view/dxdi43qaok85i2b/ak28_bleed.jpg/file
- The monsters near the megasphere secret don't teleport in Chocolate Doom if you've used save and reload since the starting area because of block sound. This can affect the enemies in sectors 716-719 too. Not sure if this is a negative though since I'm not sure if many people at all tend to save/reload, at least in Choco, just thought I'd mention it. 
- It's possible to get stuck by running up to sector 210 from sector 4 and jumping down behind the pillars.
- I found a VPO in sector 361, shown here: http://www.mediafire.com/view/vx8zxmqfvnodqs1/ak28_vpo1.jpg/file
- I found a second VPO in sector 88. This one's unlikely to become an issue though as it seems hard to trigger by accident. http://www.mediafire.com/view/cjf601dbtspzojp/ak28_vpo2.jpg/file

Thanks for the kind words! All should be fixed. For the megasphere trap save conundrum, I added another joint sector to add to the chance of the trap being active, unfortunately it's always going to be cheeseable to a degree. The map should be beyond Chocolate save limits anyway, so I'm not too stressed.

On 10/31/2019 at 11:25 AM, EffinghamHuffnagel said:

-------
MAP28
-------

Line 445 has an upper texture of NATROCK2 and a lower texture of BFALL1. Aligning the upper texture makes the lower texture off. The BFALL1 is much more noticeable than the upper rock.

The blood suddenly becoming lava in the SpiderMastermind area bothers me. There is actually no lava falling into the pool and the exit area is back to blood again. The only liquid falling into the pool is BFALL1, not BLODGR1.

Tried my best to fix up the Line 445 area, always messy managing alignment with so much "organic" structure.

I tried to imply lava was flowing out of sector 763, but didn't notice BLODGR1 there, thanks! I don't mind the blending of the floor types too much, but I've added a couple of lava falls in that section to make it more obvious there's a difference. I really want that damaging floor in the area ;)

On 11/2/2019 at 10:50 PM, NuMetalManiak said:

MAP28: There's a revenant (thing 754, only on Easy) and an imp (thing 1085, only on Easy and Medium), that didn't teleport in to the final area.

Fixed as well. Here's a download to Map28 v2: http://www.mediafire.com/file/hojfcb8mnvfbdhl/MAP28v2.wad/file

I haven't touched the difficulty of the map at all as I figure @valkiriforce has a much better understanding of the ebb and flow of difficulty through the maps, so feel free to amp up any fights as you see fit mate!

On 10/30/2019 at 11:25 PM, EffinghamHuffnagel said:

Finally finished using GZDoom.

Hide contents

-------

MAP19
-------
Could not find the Box of Shells secret behind the Manc, N of linedef tag 65. Checked in editor afterwards. The wall is DBRICK3. Supposedly, above the door is DBRICK2, but I couldn't see it. It's dark and the whole door was covered with blood from killing the Manc.

The secret Invulnerability Sphere - I like that you can run from the Rocket Launcher to the Revenant corner platform and then SR to the Sphere. Again, afterwards, I found there was actually a hidden linedef tag 71 teleport to the Sphere behind the Chaingunner alcove (if there was a hint to that teleport, I must have missed it).

Linedef tag 26, in front of the Plasma Gun in the Blue Key bars room, opens a lot of closets, including two back in the Red Key room. The monsters in that closet are deaf, so if you take the path back using the linedef tag 59 lift, none of them actually activate until you are almost out of the big room S of the Red Key room. If you take the shortest path back and jump off the platform where the Yellow Key was, they'll never activate. Were those monsters only there for 100%-ers, or were they supposed to activate earlier, when you grab the Red Key? I already had the Red Key by the time those closets opened. I grabbed the Blue Key last because I didn't realize the switch next to it was a G1. I kept looking for a switch to raise the bridge. I went back to it after I found the exit. I'm not sure it even really matters, since you only need the Red Key to exit the map. I guess I'm not used to having two 'optional' keys.

Thanks for the feedback.

@valkiriforce I can take a look at these and try to sort them out if you haven't taken care of them already.

^ That's okay, I've made a number of changes already and I'll be sure to check the lists a second time to make sure everything is in place. Things just got real busy over here for a little while so I haven't been as active in managing Akeldama, however I promise it won't take much longer to get this out the door. I'm determined to get this up and running with all the recent feedback and to hear back from @Breezeep about his MAP26.

It is the year 2026. Breezeep is still working on his map xD

jk take as long as you need :)

9 hours ago, EffinghamHuffnagel said:

Forgot one minor thing. Dehacked lists MAP30 as "The Devil's Capital", but CWILV29 has it as "Mind of Enmity".

Both are correct, similar to Circle of Death and 'O' of Destruction!

I did some very casual playthroughs in Crispy on UV for curiosity up to map 05 included. Random thoughts or things to check:

Map01:

- Noticed an early hell knight and a latter arachnotron were removed, of the two I missed the tron, it was a good patrol officer and now the room felt "empty".

- That said, I don't get the RK ambush, things spawn far away and you can just walk out of the room, they're pointless.

- Same with the following ambush, happens slowly in the middle of the room, easy to skip and seemed redundant. I'd suggest to split the teleport destinations in two or three and make them come randomized, maybe a few short pillars for cover, dunno how much can be done in vanilla strict.

Map02: 

- One hell knight skipped the teleport linedef, thus not appearing where it was intended to, in this case the BK setup. It chased me to the bridge which was funny and actually pressuring.

- A HK stuck in its closet, presumably the one to spawn in the lift setup.

Map03:

- There were imps stuck or forever idle here and here.

- This pinky/caco trap opens up too early, might want to move the linedef more into the room.

Map04:

- First order of the day was to IDMUSXX, since I can't do it that easily ("m" and "c" keys not working), I had to digest that. It's not a problem of the midi, in fact is my fav from doom 2, it just doesn't work there, although I see AD_79 makes the music for the slot so nevermind. 

Map05:

First map I never met before. Cool ideas, reminded me of Kama Sutra a bit, though let's start with observations done from a recent playthrough minutes ago:

- Those shotgunners are funny, they can't aim down wherever you place yourself, except on the RL platform but you don't spend time on there. Ineffective shotgunners this way, who'd think so, however they are fine for false sense of safety until you get inside the BK room. If the intention was them to snipe you from the get go, consider adding steps so they can actually hit you. Will try that another time.

- The "lookout imps" looked tedious to kill, much like imps on that job usually are when they have plenty freedom to effortlessly dodge rockets or bullets. Later it was revenants in almost each tower, that's, no... Them together are okay, you can pump rockets and since they are so tied together rockets will kill them without wasting much. I'd still place one barrel or two in the towers where it's only imps, because barrels + weaklings are a fun show.

- It's a map that on a replay it didn't loose the pressure component. That is, the single green armor might seem poor balancing at first, considering the number of heavy hitters and sandwich traps, but its value is actually enough for half of the map. Same with the chainsaw, although ammo was plentiful on the replay. There's space for enemies to roam and get you if they're left behind (consider widening a bit some paths for the pinkies though), so that potential for being cornered remains. I think my favourite part was the secret berserk, if mixed with the blur sphere you get to punch zombies recklessly :)

Will continue later.

On 11/7/2019 at 11:21 AM, valkiriforce said:

^ That's okay, I've made a number of changes already and I'll be sure to check the lists a second time to make sure everything is in place. Things just got real busy over here for a little while so I haven't been as active in managing Akeldama, however I promise it won't take much longer to get this out the door. I'm determined to get this up and running with all the recent feedback and to hear back from @Breezeep about his MAP26.

Don't worry because I'm going to make a backup MAP26 next month once I return home from an overseas trip and it can be just used as MAP33 if you do receive the intended MAP26 within a few months. If you don't hear from @Breezeep by March then just release this project with my MAP26. We're going to get this complete.

On 11/8/2019 at 12:03 AM, Firedust said:

It is the year 2026. Breezeep is still working on his map xD

jk take as long as you need :)

I'm pretty sure Doom Millennium will not be released by then.

Based on Galileo's feedback here's V12 of map05 (hopefully its not too late to introduce updates and I hope it doesn't overide any balance changes you made valk, couldn't see any from a quick glance)

• Added steps to make the shotgunners in the arena able to shoot the player, works nicely
  • moved the HK at the start to the north cave entrance to avoid infighting cheese and to better mirror the west HK
  • added barrel "ammunition" shelves to the bunkers to make taking out imps easier
  • adjusted the blue key revenant pillar to allow the Arachnatron/Mancubus to chase the player into the northern tunnels
  • removed tiny window by south blue door
  • added destroyed rocket turret and extra detail to exit to give the room more personality

Also I used pipe6 for the destroyed turret and I think it may not be working correctly in PrBoom+ as it swaps it out with a different texture

MAP05_Bunker Hill_V12.zip

On 11/16/2019 at 7:09 AM, valkiriforce said:

@pcorf Actually Breezeep sent me his map layout recently over PM to show that he is almost finished, so hopefully that won't be the case.

Sounds great!

Just dropping by to unload this package of FDAs I recorded this week. there is one for every map, except for maps 26, 31 & 32. Everything was recorded with akeldama_b1.wad with glboom+ 2.5.1.3. This was my first Dooming in months and I just had a cast removed from my now-recovering broken thumb so everything's maybe a bit rusty, but I do manage to finish all maps (unless I misremember) after a few attempts at most.

Overall this is a cool and varied set of maps, definitely had a good time playing through! A few maps relied a bit too much on instapopping monsters to my liking and there were a certain few traps that I disliked (i.e. the ones where I immediately die because I don't have the correct weapon equipped). Map25 is one which I remember having some weird stuff happening but looks like EffinghamHuffnagel covered a lot of stuff already a month ago. There was a big visual glitch in the southeast corner of the map, when the big platform had lowered all the way down, but it could just be a glboom thing though.

Anyway, good work guys and thanks for an entertaining experience!

Edit: Forgot to mention that I actually played through E1 back when it was first released so technically the demos for E1 here are not real FDAs. I did remember a thing here and another there which definitely helped.

FDA_akeldama_01-30_Veinen.zip

Edited by Veinen

Played up to map25, very fun, a few maps are a bit frustrating and can be obtuse, especially map19, can't say I'm a fan of the thin corridors and constant beginner traps. My favorite map was map17, blood covenant. The layout is extremely open, and the gameplay is fun. Map08 is probably my second favorite. Overall, great stuff, I did find that, while episode 1 has a very consistent theme, episode 2 and 3 become a bit muddled and all over the place.

Excellent map, Breezeep!

As a heads up for everyone else, I'm going to write new music for it once my other two tracks have been completed. The one currently listed in the OP wouldn't be a good fit for the map IMO; something more moody, less in-your-face is required.

@AD_79 Ironically I feel like episode 3 already has too many moody tracks and I'd be sorely disappointed if Viscra's track wasn't used anywhere in this wad, as I'd asked previously if anyone would be interested in the midis I listed in the first post when they didn't occupy any slots yet. I was debating slotting it on MAP24 or 26, until Paul composed a track for MAP24 so I moved it over to 26. I played some of the map with it and I don't think it feels that out of place especially for something closer to the end. Unless Brezeep himself wants something different I don't see any reason for changing it.

Also unfortunately MAP13's music will have to be changed, as Juza expressed disinterest in the new track and wanted to use the original Doom 1 track it contained. However I'm not going to be using any IWAD music in this megawad so if you'd like to compose something very similarly mysterious and sinister to "The Demons From Adrian's Pen" that'd be great.

57 minutes ago, valkiriforce said:

@AD_79 Ironically I feel like episode 3 already has too many moody tracks and I'd be sorely disappointed if Viscra's track wasn't used anywhere in this wad, as I'd asked previously if anyone would be interested in the midis I listed in the first post when they didn't occupy any slots yet. I was debating slotting it on MAP24 or 26, until Paul composed a track for MAP24 so I moved it over to 26. I played some of the map with it and I don't think it feels that out of place especially for something closer to the end. Unless Brezeep himself wants something different I don't see any reason for changing it.

Also unfortunately MAP13's music will have to be changed, as Juza expressed disinterest in the new track and wanted to use the original Doom 1 track it contained. However I'm not going to be using any IWAD music in this megawad so if you'd like to compose something very similarly mysterious and sinister to "The Demons From Adrian's Pen" that'd be great.

Yeah, probably a good idea to remove the MAP13 track. Way too abstract. Yep, keep it up with the original soundtrack.

1 hour ago, valkiriforce said:

I had a short listen to that particular track and TBH it feels a bit too up to upbeat and generic doom-ish to fit into map26 for my tastes. I just spoke with AD about composing an original midi for the map, kind of something in the vein of something you would hear in a wad like GothicDM.

I can handle both slots. Started on something for 26 earlier, have a pretty solid idea of what I want to do with it. Ideally I'll be able to get everything done before the end of the year.

So we've got 32 completed maps now - I've also gone and made little fixes and changes where it was needed. Got a new BOSSBACK and credits screen graphic (although I haven't actually added the names yet - gotta make sure I get everything down right) and we're just waiting for about four music tracks for maps 1, 4, 13 & 26. I may get around to working out the text screens but I don't think I know how to create an ENDOOM graphic, so if you wanted to give it a shot @Doomkid I'd be grateful!

I was thinking about posting the second beta here with all 32 maps, but I still haven't gone through all of Veinan's demos - I could just post it and come back for any other fixes that need to be made. Didn't seem like there was much to be addressed otherwise.

Kaguya (11:22)

For MAP26. Might still work on this a bit, depends on how I feel about it when I come back to it later on.

EDIT: Updated slightly.

Edited by AD_79

Hey, been a while since I've updated but I wanted to get around to playtesting MAP26 first. Checking the map I can see it looks like difficulty settings haven't been implemented so I'll only test on UV and give my feedback.

Other tidbits include working on text screens, which I've been slacking on lately and after that I'll probably post the latest version of the wad. Shouldn't be too long now.

[EDIT] Played @Breezeep's MAP26:

-No difficulty settings as I mentioned - I can implement this for HNTR/HMP if you would prefer that.

-Noticed a former sergeant (either thing 422 or 423) was stuck in the ground in sector 226 as seen here:

hClZTtn.png

Seems to hold up pretty well under vanilla - I don't think I hit any errors in my playthrough. Only found one of the three secrets, and it looks like the other two are accessible without a problem. Really liked the Romero-esque progression and felt it was well thought-out. Nothing much else I can think to bring up, I would just like to balance the lower difficulties for casual players.

Edited by valkiriforce