Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Paxi

Came here for advice on whether I can...

Hello all,

Been reading through some posts and can't quite find what I'm looking for, so not even sure this is possible. Stick with me as I try to explain what I want to achieve.

I have a Sony PSP that I can run Final Doom on - works a treat looks ok on the tiny screen but I wanna play in my armchair like I did before back in the days of my PS1.

So I hook my PSP up to my TV.. ugh.. looks ugly! Sounds great, but its just ugly looking since its not running on a CRT but a moden LCD.

I found PSXDoom 3.0 online which runs lovely on my PC, but in not in my armchair - I'm at the PC. I need that armchair experience because I can't use the PC for long peroids of time. 

So I was wondering if anyone knows if its possible to use the PK3 files in PSXDoom 3.0 on a the original PSX Final Doom by renaming to WAD files?  I also need help extracting the ISO for the PSX Doom to replace the files (if it would even work doubtful I guess). Then I'd repak the ISO copy over to the PSP and see if it looks better.

Sorry if this sounds mad! But ya know, it's Doom and every now and then you have get a massive urge to play it again!

Thanks for reading.

Absolutely not. The PSX TC uses a totally different and heavily modified engine. It's 100% incompatible, and it will never run on the actual PS1 hardware.

That said, there are PS1 emulators that will let you do some more advanced stuff (like eliminate the slowdown by overclocking the emulated CPU). Getting rid of the jaggedness isn't possible due to the rendering tricks used to eliminate the affine texture warping, though. And of course, there's Team GEC's project that's backporting all sorts of cut levels (and official content that came out after PS1 Doom's release). Topic's right in this very forum.

(It also has PSP-ready builds for it.)

So basically, either hook up your PSP, or you'll need some other way to stream your PC to your TV, like a Steam Link for example, or some kind of mini-PC that can handle that stuff. Most older game consoles have RetroArch ports. PSP might as well, but since PSP has PS1 hardware in it, it'd be kind of a no-brainer.

Edited by Dark Pulse

Clearly to say GZDoom TC which released couple of years ago even not connected to the PSX Doom engine (it's an imitation), there is even the format of the maps in the UDMF, not to mention the rest.
Don't even think about improving graphics in PSX Doom (if you mean modding the game itself). Because this is beyond PSX capabilities and game is already slowing down in some heavy places. This game will best played on CRT screen.

Also the GEC team made much accurate version "Master Edition" for PC also (because they hacked PSX Doom).

Thankfully I have fat PS2 and CRT which very good to play old games.

Hey guys thanks for the responses.

@Dark Pulse thanks for clearing that up. I didn't think it would work but after seeing what people have done with this game, I had to ask. :)

You're right.. mini Pc or just move my existing Pc (which I think is the way to go realistically).  I saw the Team GEC stuff! Pretty cool. 

@riderr3 - CRT PS2? I'd love to hook my Sega Saturn up to your TV! You'd think these modern TVs would have some sorta "CRT mode" to cater to us old skoolers 

5 minutes ago, Paxi said:

Hey guys thanks for the responses.

@Dark Pulse thanks for clearing that up. I didn't think it would work but after seeing what people have done with this game, I had to ask. :)

You're right.. mini Pc or just move my existing Pc (which I think is the way to go realistically).  I saw the Team GEC stuff! Pretty cool. 

@riderr3 - CRT PS2? I'd love to hook my Sega Saturn up to your TV! You'd think these modern TVs would have some sorta "CRT mode" to cater to us old skoolers 

Best you'll get is emulators supporting shaders that help emulate the CRT feeling, to varying degrees of accuracy. Here's an example video using the arcade version of Street Fighter II: Champion Edition.

So if you used RetroArch, you could easily fire up BeetlePSX, throw on a shader, and play PS1 Doom in a manner that at least somewhat resembles a CRT, even if it's not actually running on one.

Well that's more for if you want to hook in an old analog-style console into a device and upscale it into an HDMI-ready one. Also it's imported, so that's why it's so expensive.

If you're just looking for something to stream your PC, again, look into a Steam Link. Valve's about to stop making them (or just has - can't remember), and all you'd need to stream your PC to your Steam Link is the Steam Link itself and a CAT cable hooked from the modem/router to the device. (You could do it wirelessly, but would definitely recommend wired.)

Oh, and of course, you'll need a wireless mouse/keyboard/whatever, or a wireless controller.