Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
crazyflyingdonut

Is Freedoom DEAD? 😱

Every asset is completely free to use, by definition. Anybody can take all the work done up to this point and continue on, if they so chose.

1 minute ago, Linguica said:

Every asset is completely free to use, by definition. Anybody can take all the work done up to this point and continue on, if they so chose.

But... I'm still waiting for a new version...

How can you call something truly "dead" if anyone could resurrect it at any moment? Everything about Freedoom will stay the same until someone is fed up with it and improves upon it.

1 minute ago, Linguica said:

How can you call something truly "dead" if anyone could resurrect it at any moment? Everything about Freedoom will stay the same until someone is fed up with it and improves upon it.

I am worried it might be dead because on the Freedoom website, there hasn't been an update since 2017!

Something that likely contributes to the lack of updates is that the majority of content is already "complete". There's replacements for all weapons, demons, items, and nearly all levels.

I'm sure it has been far "deader" in the past. Isn't it only missing a few sprite sets (and even then, the current placeholders aren't bad at all except for maybe the Vile) and a map or two for Phase 1? I wouldn't worry, in any case. 

12 minutes ago, TheMightyHeracross said:

a map or two for Phase 1?

There's literally ONE map in episode 3 that's a placeholder box-room. Or at least there was when I played through the most recent version lately (I didn't get secret maps though).

1 minute ago, Jayextee said:

There's literally ONE map in episode 3 that's a placeholder box-room. Or at least there was when I played through the most recent version lately (I didn't get secret maps though).

I can confirm it is just E3M5 that's still a placeholder, based on checking map layouts via SLADE.

To that end, I'm gonna offer up any fitting maps of The Becoming for the slot, even if they're only temporary; E2M5 onwards were all hell-themed, so should fit the part.

BRING BACK THE OLD ROCKET LAUNCHER- uh i mean

I don't really think FreeDoom is dead, anyone can just go and continue the project. I would but i really suck at drawing, mapping and basically any other thing i could help with.

FreeDoom is so complete right now that besides not being vanilla-compatible and missing one map in Phase 1 it wouldn't have much problem if it stopped development right now.

Nah, it's not dead... just sleeping.

Typically speaking, I figure everyone that has worked on or contributed to Freedoom has a thing they call 'real life.'

On 1/9/2019 at 7:21 PM, Linguica said:

Meaning, is anybody free to fork the repo?

On 1/11/2019 at 8:31 PM, HavoX said:

Nah, it's not dead... just sleeping.

Typically speaking, I figure everyone that has worked on or contributed to Freedoom has a thing they call 'real life.'

Yes, we do.