Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
A Nobody

Return To Castle Wolfenstein Sounds?

20 minutes ago, cambreaKer said:

can't you just extract the game sounds from the pak files?

I don't own the game.

Then go buy it if you really want the sounds. Personally I love that game and it currently sells at a reasonable price, it is well worth it in my opinion.

18 minutes ago, Avoozl said:

Then go buy it if you really want the sounds. Personally I love that game and it currently sells at a reasonable price, it is well worth it in my opinion.

I just need one of the sounds for something. I'm not on PC by the way.

8 hours ago, The-Heretic-Assassin said:

I don't own the game.

You're out of luck then, as it counts as piracy. No one's going to give you the sound files me thinks.

38 minutes ago, Agent6 said:

You're out of luck then, as it counts as piracy. No one's going to give you the sound files me thinks.

I'm pretty sure it's Freeware now and therefore falls under file sharing and not piracy. 

3 hours ago, Maser said:

I'm pretty sure it's Freeware now and therefore falls under file sharing and not piracy. 

You are probably thinking of the multiplayer part Enemy Territory since that was released separately for free, otherwise you are wrong.

Edited by Avoozl

4 hours ago, Agent6 said:

How is owning only the sounds piracy?

2 minutes ago, The-Heretic-Assassin said:

Anything that's classed as copyrighted material whether it be still images, music, sound effects, video, etc. can fall under piracy laws.  Personally I only feel it's piracy if you're trying to make a buck off of it.  If not then it's simple file sharing.  No different than when we used to borrow friend's new CDs as kids and either record it onto a cassette or burn to a CD-R/RW.  But I guess the law says differently. 

43 minutes ago, Maser said:

Anything that's classed as copyrighted material whether it be still images, music, sound effects, video, etc. can fall under piracy laws.  Personally I only feel it's piracy if you're trying to make a buck off of it.  If not then it's simple file sharing.  No different than when we used to borrow friend's new CDs as kids and either record it onto a cassette or burn to a CD-R/RW.  But I guess the law says differently. 

Oh.

1 hour ago, The-Heretic-Assassin said:

In one simple sentence, owning something that you have to pay money for but you didn't classifies as piracy.

If it went free or the developers pretty much abandoned it in all possible ways it wouldn't have mattered, but they didn't, and it's still available commercially.

1 minute ago, Agent6 said:

In one simple sentence, owning something that you have to pay money for but you didn't classifies as piracy.

If it went free or the developers pretty much abandoned it in all possible ways it wouldn't have mattered, but they didn't, and it's still available commercially.

Strangely, Quake 3's sounds are available to download, even though the game is still being sold on Steam.

1 minute ago, The-Heretic-Assassin said:

Strangely, Quake 3's sounds are available to download, even though the game is still being sold on Steam.

Never heard of this. Perhaps id allows certain assets and files from the game to be shared freely, but not others.

33 minutes ago, The-Heretic-Assassin said:

Available from where though? Being available and being legal are two different things. 

Any original sound from a game, just like any other original asset, is copyrighted. The reality is that it's unlikely you'll be pursued for copyright infringement if you distribute RTCW sounds with your mod, but just because legal repercussions are unlikely doesn't mean it's suddenly fine to ask about openly.

We won't judge you for it if you do it, but we're not going to brazenly help you either.  In the past Doom mappers have genuinely been chased for copyright infringement for including things like mp3 songs in their wads or basing their sprites on copyrighted characters. Given there is a lot of grey area copyright infringement going on in Doom wads (even including Doom 1 textures in a Doom 2 wad is technically illegal) we are all very jumpy about keeping attention away from us. 

So by all means go ahead and use the sounds, but just don't shout about it so much!

46 minutes ago, Bauul said:

Available from where though? Being available and being legal are two different things. 

Any original sound from a game, just like any other original asset, is copyrighted. The reality is that it's unlikely you'll be pursued for copyright infringement if you distribute RTCW sounds with your mod, but just because legal repercussions are unlikely doesn't mean it's suddenly fine to ask about openly.

We won't judge you for it if you do it, but we're not going to brazenly help you either.  In the past Doom mappers have genuinely been chased for copyright infringement for including things like mp3 songs in their wads or basing their sprites on copyrighted characters. Given there is a lot of grey area copyright infringement going on in Doom wads (even including Doom 1 textures in a Doom 2 wad is technically illegal) we are all very jumpy about keeping attention away from us. 

So by all means go ahead and use the sounds, but just don't shout about it so much!

I don't want to cause trouble, believe me. I didn't know it counted as piracy.

Edited by The-Heretic-Assassin

53 minutes ago, The-Heretic-Assassin said:

I don't want to cause trouble, believe me. I didn't know it counted as piracy.

Look, regardless of what the law says, what you're asking is no different than people who publicly ask for ROMs or ISOs for their emulators.  The legality issue is questionable, but in the end it's highly frowned upon in public forums to discuss it.