Jump to content
Aleaver

Looking forward to Community Chest Megawad?

Recommended Posts

Impish said:

A.D.H.D. ?? :P

Actually, yes. I think. Although she acts like the world is hers. Damn sister. Has to ruin everyone's lives, INCLUDING MY DOOR. That was after I told her off, she broke our door cuz she was pissed off that I couldn't go move furniture. Sorry, things to do here neways.

Share this post


Link to post
Ultimate DooMer said:

PS. I'd like to know what you think of map 20's difficulty, as I might make it a little easier if you all think it's too hard. (as it is rather extreme in some ways)


quite hard, and i've been playing doom since...well, it came out. but i may be slowing down in my old age ;P
personally i don't think you should change it. sometimes things are hard for our little doom marine, he's got an autosave, he'll make it.

Share this post


Link to post

Yes, map 20 does pack quite a challange, but then again, I started from a pistol start so it should be hard, and plus its lvl 20, we cant go too easy on em' and like Use3D said, they can save and load, no? ... In my view, the level is flawless.

Share this post


Link to post

Save and load...

* myk pukes

Share this post


Link to post

For whoever has played Infliction of Hate:

Is it too hard? Does it need to be scaled down alittle?

Share this post


Link to post

I found infliction challenging starting with the pistol. UV is very hard with the pistol (i couldn't do it, maybe someone else can?), but that's good. Overall i feel the level is well balanced. comfortable playing it from the begining with basic weapons on UV, the super and chaingun.

Share this post


Link to post

IOH, IMO is a very good level (as stated in the reply e-mail ;)) and personally, I find that the difficulty level is perfect for the map # in which it is, on all difficulties.

Use3D said:

(i couldn't do it, maybe someone else can?)

DOOM Anomaly can, and did :D

Share this post


Link to post
Use3D said:

I found infliction challenging starting with the pistol. UV is very hard with the pistol (i couldn't do it, maybe someone else can?), but that's good. Overall i feel the level is well balanced. comfortable playing it from the begining with basic weapons on UV, the super and chaingun.


...and of course, don't forget you'll be entering the level with all weapons and ammo in the actual megawad. (well, except the first few maps)

Share this post


Link to post
Aleaver said:

For whoever has played Infliction of Hate:

Is it too hard? Does it need to be scaled down alittle?


I haven't tried it, but remember those thingies called "difficulty settings." UV is supposed to be pretty tough, it should kill a player that doesn't know the map even if he's a competent player.

Ultimate DooMer said:

...and of course, don't forget you'll be entering the level with all weapons and ammo in the actual megawad. (well, except the first few maps)


He, only if the previous maps are too easy, otherwise you'd have all the weapons but not all the ammo, just a bit of ammo instead. Also don't you think each map should be balanced out in itself? Many people like to play maps separately (it's often the best way to play the whole thing and avoid "savegaming.") In the end it also helps the overall balance if each map is balanced itself. This should be considered even more than usual in this project, as many people will be working on it, so each map will bear its own stamp and be a little different than the others.

It's true though that some of the maps may end up being pretty much tougher than others, as the different designers have different conceptions of what tough means. That's where a final checkup of the whole thing helps.

Share this post


Link to post

Ten pages on this stuff! Very cool, it's good to see the playtesting going on...keep it going. Any questions please contact me.


Cadman - Member TeamTNT

Share this post


Link to post
myk said:

Also don't you think each map should be balanced out in itself? Many people like to play maps separately.


I've got nothing against that, as it's one of the rules (all maps have to be do-able from a pistol start). You're right about people preferring to play all the maps from a pistol start - as I sometimes do that (although I only do it on wads I'm familiar with). My CC maps are certainly like that - map 01 is self-explanatory and although all the weapons in map 20 are available from the start, this is because the map is a non-stop slaughterfest.


Cadman: any word from RailGunner on the state of his two maps?

Share this post


Link to post
Ultimate DooMer said:

Cadman: any word from RailGunner on the state of his two maps?


Last I heard he hadn't started yet.

Yeah, I know i'll be going into map16 with some decent arms, that's why i would leave the map as is. With the weapons UV isn't to tough for this veteran doomer (i didn't use the anything above the chaingun and was able to complete it).

Not suprising that Doom Anomaly can take it in UV with the pistol. I bet i could if i stuck with it. Damn kids these days! btw, you didn't camp out in the entry room and let infight take down the horde did ya? Cause that's lame!

Share this post


Link to post
Use3D said:

Damn kids these days! btw, you didn't camp out in the entry room and let infight take down the horde did ya? Cause that's lame!

Nope I didnt, I opened the door and ran out, got the shotgun, and kicked sum serious hide..Also with the assistance of ma Killa Pea Shoota of course.

Share this post


Link to post
Impish said:

i dont know
i sent the wad to ya

Ah, that was you! >heh<
Nice wad and some really clever ideas, although there could be a bit more monsters and less items in the Ultra Violent skill level, as well as some more detail per room. A wide open space doesn't really give that 'wide open feeling' when all textures are the same... but nevertheless I enjoyed playing it!

Bytheway, is it texturefixing you want me to do with your map? Or did you just want to show me what you've done...?

Share this post


Link to post

I would also love to testplay all your maps... :)
Just send me them (my email is in my profile)

Share this post


Link to post

I am still working on map 10, but because of other projects (Console Doom, Doom64 TC) I've had little time with the map. But I'll see if I can find time with map10 this week.

Share this post


Link to post
Deathman said:

I am still working on map 10, but because of other projects (Console Doom, Doom64 TC) I've had little time with the map. But I'll see if I can find time with map10 this week.


I should also work serious hard on my map now... :)
But I also got some neat ideas for my idea... and yes, I will be finish with it, not like hundreds of my other levels which it is why i restarted so many times in the past. :P

Share this post


Link to post
Ultimate DooMer said:

... I'd like to know what you think of map 20's difficulty, as I might make it a little easier if you all think it's too hard. (as it is rather extreme in some ways)...

Excellent map U.D., no doubt. Thoroughly enjoyable and entertaining.
Imo you've pitched the difficulty just right for map20, it's a tough challenge but very fair. Enjoy the lmp.:)

Share this post


Link to post

Please see post under 'Wads and Mods' relating to a demoset for the Community Megawad.

Share this post


Link to post

I agree with Doom Anomaly, perfect difficulty. I finished IOH first go on UV, it certainly wasn't easy though, the large battles were challenging, but those damn revenants got me down to 5% armor and 2% health. i wasnt expecting them. Awesome wad though, nonstop action, and it looks great.

Share this post


Link to post
nobbjob said:

I agree with Doom Anomaly, perfect difficulty. I finished IOH first go on UV, it certainly wasn't easy though, the large battles were challenging, but those damn revenants got me down to 5% armor and 2% health. i wasnt expecting them. Awesome wad though, nonstop action, and it looks great.

Agreed also, it looks great, really nice! Finished it first time through too, but only just. Great work Andy!

Share this post


Link to post

magikal: Thanks for the demo, it alerted me to a couple of bugs in the wad. (notably the revenant trap at the end, which isn't closed)
The only thing I'm concerned about now is the abundance of ammo, as you blasted through it without running out and didn't find all the secrets (there's a fair bit in those). It's fine for a pistol start, but I don't really want everyone to go into map 21 with close to 400, 100, 100 and 600, as I'm sure this would spoil the 3rd section a bit.

(this of course depends on the balance in the other maps, which we won't know about until maps 18 and 19 are done and playtested)

I'm gonna submit it to Cadman again (with the bug fix) but do you think I should remove some ammo before I do?

Share this post


Link to post

Hey everyone..If you think Infliction of Hate was good...

Just wait for Methods of Fear.

Share this post


Link to post
Ultimate DooMer said:

I'm gonna submit it to Cadman again (with the bug fix) but do you think I should remove some ammo before I do?

Yes, but make sure you leave enough for 100%Kills. I wouldn't remove too much from open play though, it is a tough challenge even with ample ammo. Glad to be of help btw.
I think this shows an important point. Playtesting is very important if the megawad is going to have good playability.

Share this post


Link to post
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
×