Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Can't play on Nightmare

Why do most of the youtubers prefer to play Duke Nukem 3D on Come Get Some istead of Damn, I am good?

Damn, I am Good difficulty is much more fun than Come Get Some.

Your aim is to get every possible advanced weapons in the maps and spend the ammos of them very carefully to get rid of dead bodies so that they won't come back to life again.

Duke Nukem 3D's Damn, I am good difficulty is a "yeah piece of cake" compared to Doom's Nightmare.

Some even call it Nightmare version of Duke Nukem 3D. No it is not. It is pretty easy to play Duke Nukem 3D on the highest difficulty. It is nothing like Doom's Nightmare. Once you get rid of enemies with advanced weapons, they longer come back to life again. The game gets pretty easy once you get andvanced weapons. I finished Duke Nukem 3D games on Damn, I am good difficulty so many times. It is easy. I am suprised seeing most of the youtebers play it on Come Get Some, instead of Damn, I am good.

Edited by Can't play on Nightmare

There used to be this really good channel called GalleyUK that had such a playthrough, amongst other helpful walkthroughs. But then one day they disappeared for no reason and that made me sad.

Yeah, GalleyUK and his longplays were good to watch while you're eating a meal. I remember reading through his comments that he didn't like the sound of his voice and opted to use the Youtube annotations and descriptions for his commentary. I liked that a lot more compared to Let's Plays, especially when the player talks just to talk (sometimes over cutscenes) and lowers the signal-to-noise ratio. I'm more tolerant of Let's Plays that have two or more commenters because their banter feels much more organic and genuine, and sometimes it offers a glimpse of what kind of people they're like away from the mics. Streams are a little better with real-time interactions when doable, but it has its own weirdness like obnoxious graphics when someone donates.

And I don't understand people complaining about Duke Nukem 3D's respawning enemies on the highest difficulty. Use your advanced weapons, enemies won't respawn. You dont need to speed run in Duke Nukem 3D's Damn I am good difficulty. It is not like Doom's Nightmare.  Enemies don't respawn on the highest difficulty of Duke Nukem 3D unless all you have is shotgun and chaingun. 

Duke Nukem 64 made it so you could destroy the corpses with bullet weapons which stops them from respawning on Damn I'm Good.

4 hours ago, SiFi270 said:

There used to be this really good channel called GalleyUK that had such a playthrough, amongst other helpful walkthroughs. But then one day they disappeared for no reason and that made me sad.

2 hours ago, Chow Yun Thin said:

Yeah, GalleyUK and his longplays were good to watch while you're eating a meal.

I believe he said he'd retire doing videos after his Serious Sam BFE playthrough. Dunno why his channel is gone now though, kind of disappointing tbh.

Respawning enemies changes the game enough to 'separate' the difficulties away in terms of strategy and general feel, especially for a game which uses more 'realistic' feeling levels. In the 90s a lot of FPS made the highest difficulty more of a completionist challenge than something to simple enjoy and appreciate (e.g. Doom's Nightmare! where the whole game was turned on its head, Blood's Extra Crispy(?) which was designed for Co-op and is basically torture to play singleplayer). Duke3D took this route, so the hardest difficulty "experience" is completely different from nostalgic experiences of such. I certainly wouldn't want to play Doom on -respawn all the time, even if i could make the enemies stay dead forever with some mod or patch. It just doesn't give the same feeling as the Doom that I played as a child.

If people are doing walkthroughs or playthroughs of Duke3D, then they probably want to do it in a way where people can relate to the experience - very few people who played Duke3D would think that 'Damn I'm Good' is the true way to appreciate and play the game normally with the
quirks of such a difficulty.

40 minutes ago, Avoozl said:

Duke Nukem 64 made it so you could destroy the corpses with bullet weapons which stops them from respawning on Damn I'm Good.

From the 5th weapon till the 10th weapon, you can make it in Duke Nukem 3D. Majority of the weapons do it.

20 minutes ago, Wahrnehmungskrieg said:

Respawning enemies changes the game enough to 'separate' the difficulties away in terms of strategy and general feel, especially for a game which uses more 'realistic' feeling levels. In the 90s a lot of FPS made the highest difficulty more of a completionist challenge than something to simple enjoy and appreciate (e.g. Doom's Nightmare! where the whole game was turned on its head, Blood's Extra Crispy(?) which was designed for Co-op and is basically torture to play singleplayer). Duke3D took this route, so the hardest difficulty "experience" is completely different from nostalgic experiences of such. I certainly wouldn't want to play Doom on -respawn all the time, even if i could make the enemies stay dead forever with some mod or patch. It just doesn't give the same feeling as the Doom that I played as a child.

If people are doing walkthroughs or playthroughs of Duke3D, then they probably want to do it in a way where people can relate to the experience - very few people who played Duke3D would think that 'Damn I'm Good' is the true way to appreciate and play the game normally with the
quirks of such a difficulty.

However in Duke Nukem 3D, enemies don't respawn if you use advanced weapons ( From the 5th weapon to the 10th weapon).

Damn, I am good difficulty in Duke Nukem 3D is as true difficulty as Ultra Violence difficulty in Doom.

6 minutes ago, Bauul said:

You really do have a thing about difficulty settings don't you?

I mean I dont understand why it is being compared with Doom's Nightmare. Enemies don't respawn once you have your advanced weapons and remove their dead bodies.

8 minutes ago, Can't play on Nightmare said:

Damn, I am good difficulty in Duke Nukem 3D is as true difficulty as Ultra Violence difficulty in Doom.

(Whilst enemy spawns can be changed in 'Damn I'm Good' (iirc), the map developers set a precedent not to do this, so for all intents and purposes Damn I'm Good is equal to Come Get Some in every way but the (pseudo-)respawns.)

Given that all but one difficulty setting has non-respawning enemies, it makes sense that the default mode of Duke Nukem is to play without the respawning enemies, which do change the strategy at least somewhat (even though if gibbed they don't come back, if they were so easy to deal with why would they add the difficulty otherwise, unless it was a joke?).

FWIW, I imagine that everybody who makes maps for Duke3D doesn't explicitly map for 'Damn I'm Good' in mind, like Doom mappers don't explicitly map for Nightmare in mind - because the vast majority of players play in a mode where they won't have to worry about gibbinh enemies to not have them come back. The change in the highest difficulty is so obtuse that I can't imagine anybody willing to design a setpiece in Duke around enemies that respawn "just 'cause" (do point me to such a case if I'm wrong, I haven't played many usermaps). So it can't be equivalent to UV, because UV is a difficulty you can plan/design for explicitly (because enemies stay dead), whereas Damn I'm Good is a toned down joke difficulty probably made as an reaction to the Nightmare! difficulty in Doom.

Though given that a lot of usermaps I have played tend to give a sense of sense of space and place, I think it's obvious what Duke is suited towards compared to Doom.

I don't know why I'm 'effortposting' on such a boring topic lol

People will simply play what they want to play. IMO playing with re spawning enemies changes the game play 100% and there is no denying that. Don't worry so much about it

2 minutes ago, Wahrnehmungskrieg said:

(Whilst enemy spawns can be changed in 'Damn I'm Good' (iirc), the map developers set a precedent not to do this, so for all intents and purposes Damn I'm Good is equal to Come Get Some in every way but the (pseudo-)respawns.)

Given that all but one difficulty setting has non-respawning enemies, it makes sense that the default mode of Duke Nukem is to play without the respawning enemies, which do change the strategy at least somewhat (even though if gibbed they don't come back, if they were so easy to deal with why would they add the difficulty otherwise, unless it was a joke?).

FWIW, I imagine that everybody who makes maps for Duke3D doesn't explicitly map for 'Damn I'm Good' in mind, like Doom mappers don't explicitly map for Nightmare in mind - because the vast majority of players play in a mode where they won't have to worry about gibbinh enemies to not have them come back. The change in the highest difficulty is so obtuse that I can't imagine anybody willing to design a setpiece in Duke around enemies that respawn "just 'cause" (do point me to such a case if I'm wrong, I haven't played many usermaps). So it can't be equivalent to UV, because UV is a difficulty you can plan/design for explicitly (because enemies stay dead), whereas Damn I'm Good is a toned down joke difficulty probably made as an reaction to the Nightmare! difficulty in Doom.

Though given that a lot of usermaps I have played tend to give a sense of sense of space and place, I think it's obvious what Duke is suited towards compared to Doom.

I don't know why I'm 'effortposting' on such a boring topic lol

Getting all the advanced weapons in the maps and remove dead bodies from the ground make Damn, I am good difficulty very enjoyable for me.

The difference between Damn, I am good and Come Get Some is, you remove dead bodies from the ground with strong weapons for them not to respawn. And it is so fun.

5 minutes ago, Bushpig2dope said:

People will simply play what they want to play. IMO playing with re spawning enemies changes the game play 100% and there is no denying that. Don't worry so much about it

But you can permanently kill enemies with advanced weapons.

Warning: next bit could be gibberish.

Tbh, I gues that 'Come get some' represents the most popular factor of 90s FPS better than 'Damn I'm Good' - not a feeling of exaltation after completing a hard challenge - but a sense of the highest echelon of masculinity - a virtual reigning over a level that you have cleaned out and beaten to perfection. The respawning mode, no matter how small, disrupts the 'masculine essence' of destruction, because on your own you are unable to defeat this challenge by yourself, but have to use explosive / destructive weapons (which may be in short supply) rather than a means of demonstrating your power over the enemies of the level, you must instead use these weapons in a fight for survival which counteracts the masculine/fascist urge for domination: you only get relief when killing enemies on the highest difficulty. Hence why the highest difficulty is less popular (especially considering the demographics of 90s FPS). (Going back to your title question,) why would a youtuber wish to break that urge for anyone who would watch their videos or subscribe to them??

5 hours ago, Can't play on Nightmare said:

But you can permanently kill enemies with advanced weapons.

I don't care, maybe I love getting around with the shotgun and not having to worry about throwing pipebombs at already dispatched enemies. Like I said, don't worry so much about how others play a video game

So many people don't like respawning enemies.

It's kill the moods for some maps, and just fuck off you backtracking.

Neither is the default difficulty and both are joke difficulties which shouldn't be taken seriously. Duke3D's Come get some makes Doom's Ultra Violence look like Hey not too rough already. Respawning enemies barely matter in Nightmare anyway (Unless you play slowly, which I assume because you take time to clear up areas in Duke while Doom denies that).

1 hour ago, Pegg said:

Neither is the default difficulty and both are joke difficulties which shouldn't be taken seriously. Duke3D's Come get some makes Doom's Ultra Violence look like Hey not too rough already. Respawning enemies barely matter in Nightmare anyway (Unless you play slowly, which I assume because you take time to clear up areas in Duke while Doom denies that).

Duke Nukem 3D's Damn I am good difficulty is nothing like Doom's Nightmare. You are able to kill enemies permenently  on Damn, I am good with most of the weapons in Duke Nukem 3D. Plus, there is no fast attacs. I can finish Duke Nukem 3D's all 4 episodes on Damn I am good in just 1 day with all the secret levels. It is not a joke difficulty at all. However, I can't play Doom on Nightmare. Doom's Nightmare is a joke difficulty with respawning enemies no matter what weapon you use and so much faster attacks, unlike Duke Nukem 3D.

Duke Nukem 3D's Damn, I am good difficulty is not much different than Doom's Ultra Violence. Throw a pipe bomb on dead bodies. They won't respawn.  Problem solved.

You can play Duke Nukem 3D on Damn I am good very slowly. You don't need to speedrun. Kill the enemies with shotgun, then throw a pipe bomb and get rid of the dead bodies. They won't respawn. Most of the weapons in Duke Nukem 3D kill the enemies permanently already on Damn, I am good difficulty.

I only feel the need to speedrun in the the first levels of episode 3 and episode 4. Once you have weapons, Damn I am good difficulty turns into Come Get Some difficulty. Plus, I find it pretty fun to throw pipe boms on dead bodies or use just 2 ammos of devastator to remove the dead bodies. Damn I am good difficulty is just for you not to waste the ammos of advanced weapons. It is so fun. And you don't need to speedrun at all. It is so much easier than Doom's Nightmare. It is a pretty fair difficulty indeed. It really is.

They are both bad joke difficulties for different reasons. Nightmare because it is completely unbalanced -Doesn't matter that it is doable, It changes too much with the only goal of annoying players-. Damn I'm Good because the respawn mechanic is just there to annoy people who don't want to speedrun and love the shotgun\chaingun. It has absolutely no effect if you are using explosives and energy weapons -which you should anyway, especially the devastator where saving its ammo is just a waste- especially during speedruns like 

The respawn mechanic is bad in both games; That's the only reason people don't want to play those difficulties.

Is the only difference between them that the enemies respawn and nothing to do with damage or amount of enemies?

Because if so, gibbing corpses so they don't respawn is more of a nuisance than a challenge, so why bother even having it on. 

Because it's an extra-challenge mode that only makes you waste precious* explosives to blow up every single corpse just so the enemies don't respawn behind your back?

*that's more or less true if level is played from pistol start and player doesn't know it like the back of his hand.

OP question

Just like the same if you play Heretic's fifth skill instead of the fourth one or Hexen's or Doom's Ultra Violence skill instead of Hurt Me Plenty. For fun. Simple.

Probably next question will involve difficulty of Heretic/Hexen...

1 hour ago, leodoom85 said:

Just like the same if you play Heretic's fifth skill instead of the fourth one or Hexen's or Doom's Ultra Violence skill instead of Hurt Me Plenty. For fun. Simple.

Well they don't have respawning monsters and just make monsters\projectiles faster. They are too balanced and straight forward that playing them instead of UV is just slightly more challenging, Perfectly playable. Op's original question is interesting and indeed was worth discussing, A lot of games did try to use the max difficulty much better than how the original Doom handled it, Heretic would be the best example of giving a harder experience without ruining a lot of gameplay elements compared to playing to the "default" hard mode. 

3 hours ago, leodoom85 said:

Heretic's 5th difficulty is harder than Duke Nukem 3D's highest difficulty due to the very fast attacks but it is beatable by spending great efford.

I only see Doom's Nightmare as a joke difficulty. And the reason is, it is unfair as ID software already put it that way. 

While I can finish Duke Nukem 3D's all 4 episodes on Damn, I am good difficulty in just 1 day with all the secret levels, it took me a few days just to pass the level 2 of Doom 2 on Nightmare difficulty. I dont wanna talk about the rest.  I went crazy just trying to pass the level 2 of Doom 2 on Nightmare.

I could come as far as level 7 in Doom 2 on Nightmare but I dont think I can go any further. I gave up.

1 hour ago, Pegg said:

Well they don't have respawning monsters and just make monsters\projectiles faster. They are too balanced and straight forward that playing them instead of UV is just slightly more challenging, Perfectly playable.

Absolutely. I can do that just fine...but just imagine if Heretic has hitscanners...that would change the gameplay drastically.

1 hour ago, Pegg said:

Op's original question is interesting and indeed was worth discussing

Was? yes XD. Over and out for sure.

23 minutes ago, Can't play on Nightmare said:

I only see Doom's Nightmare as a joke difficulty. And the reason is, it is unfair as ID software already put it that way. 

You can say it as a joke skill. Others don't....but that's for another hella different thread that I think it was already touched a lot of times and not necessary to revive it again for the sake of just do it.

Plus, you even have the opportunity to drink water and make your health 100 percent continuously in some levels of Duke Nukem 3D.

And if my health is bad while finishing the map,I can fire a roket to the wall and start the next level with 100 percent health and all weapons on me.

9 minutes ago, Can't play on Nightmare said:

Plus, you even have the opportunity to drink water and make your health 100 percent in some levels of Duke Nukem 3D and if my health is bad while finishing the map, I will just fire a roket to the wall and I will start the next level with 100 percent health and all weapons on me.

See, its not exactly a casual laid back sesh of Duke if you're doing strats like this. The average player wouldn't know this