Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
zzzornbringer

doom2's map01 quakestyle

(edit: silly me. this is not e1m1 from doom 1. for whatever reason i was confusing the map names. this is doom 2's first map, map01, obviously. sorry for the confusion.)

tested with gzdoom

iwad: doom2.wad

no jump/crouch required

only one difficulty

q1tex.wad required (included)

extract the archive where ever you want. drag&drop the .pk4 file onto your gzdoom executable/shortcut. start new game. you know the drill.

map01_quakestyle.zip

Screenshot_Doom_20190113_154009.png.cd60240cee52f5945d1cf65183fb4480.pngScreenshot_Doom_20190113_154110.png.58a483bc9ec5948e3b7303f028cd7057.pngScreenshot_Doom_20190113_154142.png.eb9cf3bbb88f8de6d2697b63ea9ab773.pngScreenshot_Doom_20190113_154251.png.8172bf5e41f6de5d18ee399398b3584b.pngScreenshot_Doom_20190113_154411.png.6c4bcfbdf481de9dd4f7c3da817cc168.pngScreenshot_Doom_20190113_154459.png.2ec2ad515714e44d57a5cfdf7ef1da40.png

Edited by zzzornbringer

you pulled the wool over my eye there for a bit. I was trying to picture Doom 1's E1m1 in the style of quake. had I actually had my cup of coffee earlier and payed proper attention I would have realized it looks like its based off of Doom 2's Map01 LOL Good stuff tho this is probably one of my favorite map themes.

18 minutes ago, Fiendzy said:

you pulled the wool over my eye there for a bit. I was trying to picture Doom 1's E1m1 in the style of quake. had I actually had my cup of coffee earlier and payed proper attention I would have realized it looks like its based off of Doom 2's Map01 LOL Good stuff tho this is probably one of my favorite map themes.

it is based on doom 2's map01. just a big slipup on my side. thanks for making me aware. edited the post and filename.

Edited by zzzornbringer

I enjoyed this; played through it a few times, in fact. Quite tough (would be nice if you could implement difficulty levels), but fun.

Architecture is maybe a little bit blocky, but everything is very cleanly constructed and has an undeniably Quakey feel. I kind of wish the map didn't require GZDoom, as it always feels rather sluggish and resource-heavy on my machine. With the exception of the outdoor area, it does seem like the map could have been made compatible with e.g. PrBoom+.

On the other hand, the outdoor area looks nice -- I see you had some trouble getting it to look the way you wanted, but the end result is very effective, I think.

The secrets were fun, although...

Spoiler

...I found the trick-jump required to unlock one of the secrets kind of annoying to execute. Maybe that's just because I'm not a very good Doom player, but to me it felt very finicky and on each of my playthroughs I had to try several several times to get it right. But as I said, that might just be me.

Are you planning on making more maps like this one? It would be interesting to see other iconic Doom/Doom 2 maps reinterpreted in a similar style -- e1m1, perhaps (for real this time)?

2 hours ago, hedgehog said:

The secrets were fun, although...

Hide contents

...I found the trick-jump required to unlock one of the secrets kind of annoying to execute. Maybe that's just because I'm not a very good Doom player, but to me it felt very finicky and on each of my playthroughs I had to try several several times to get it right. But as I said, that might just be me.

Spoiler

the part with the trickjump is actually intended that way. you need to sidestrafe to get to the platform. i had one iteration where you could just straight run onto it but i said, hey, it's a secret, so let the player do some work to get it.

i do not plan to add more difficulty options. to make this actually good, it requires a lot of work. so i just create one difficulty and say that's how i intent the map to be played. maybe lazy but i prefer that over some half-ass difficulty variations. but the map is designed in a way that when you make good use of secrets and get the rocketlauncher before going into the room with the lowering platforms, it's a lot easier. or simply get the super shotgun in the next room. if you decide to go through the map in a non-linear fashion, you can make it easier. that's my compromise of having a linear layout. the gameplay does vary a little depending on where you go first.

i may do more maps like this but i haven't decided anything yet. 

Edited by zzzornbringer