Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Chrislw324

Final Doom from Steam looks like crap

Given the game series, you shouldn't play Doom using the DOSBox it ships with on Steam (or GOG). 

Try a source port instead, there's many to choose from. If you want something advanced but not very close to vanilla you could try GZDoom, and for something more retro there's Doom Retro, Chocolate Doom, Crispy Doom, PrBoom+, maybe even Eternity despite being an advanced port.

I just downloaded Crispy Doom and I am very very happy. I have never really been a fan of openGL. Now for some smooth HD sprite packs...

As others have said you should try a source port. There are a few to choose from (seed has listed some). Since you have downloaded the game from Steam, the easiest would be to use a source port that auto detects that you have purchased the game on Steam. I am not sure on all the source ports that do this but I know that GZDoom does this https://zdoom.org/downloads

Games on steam like DOOM come bundled with DOSbox and the default resolution doesn't look good on modern displays. You can tweak the backend settings in the DOSBox config, but the best way to go about it is use a source port like has been suggested.

On 1/14/2019 at 1:30 PM, Chrislw324 said:

Where can I get a better version?

Here's a starterpack for prboom/glboom+, preconfigured by me. It's a little jumbled right now (i'm going to make a much more sophisticated one in the coming weeks) but just take your Final Doom wads (TNT.WAD and PLUTONIA.WAD), place them in the "wads" folder, and choose the appropriate .bat file. Based on the fact that you even bothered playing the Dosbox version in the first place, I can absolutely assure you that you're going to want to play in prboom+ or glboom+ instead of GZDoom or really anything with a Z in it.

You can find the .wad files somewhere in C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\[doom game name, i dunno if it's just final doom or what]

prboom-plus-2.5.1.5-starterpack_v4.zip

Edited by bonnie