Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ImpieEyez95

Early and unused DOOM 64 Level Designs

22 hours ago, Nevander said:

Are we allowed to use these for projects or as a base for new levels? I'd love to incorporate some of these ideas into Doom 64 maps.

I'd presume that'd be up to @Hyde, but he has sunk off into the murky depths.

I played through all 5 tonight, and despite newcat3 and hack2 being uncompletable without cheats, I loved these maps, felt like lost PSX levels.

Tuff feels like it was either converted into Tower of Babel for the PSX (would explain where the mancubi came from!) or a reiteration of Tower of Babel for Doom 64 (I couldnt stop laughing at the archvile horde secret, I was sailing across the map from all the archvile explosions!)

Mee2 felt like a lost level from the Doom 2 section of PSX Doom, with instantly recognisable architecture that even my non-Doomer brother could recognise as 'PSX/D64like', it had some unreachable items though on top of some bookcases, unless there was some weird obscure way to lower those.

Canyon was similarly feeling like a lost level, and was almost perfect, aside from one switch in a cave that was broken; whatever it was meant to do, it was unneeded, as the map was 100%able without it.

Hack2 is entirely unfinished in the thing placement with no blue key at all, a yellow key in the void, nowhere NEAR enough ammo or weapons to win, and hilariously unfair revenant/chaingunner hordes at the beginning. The map is uncompletable even with IDKFA due to some broken switches and no way to get over to the red key. Still, was a very neat map with obvious Into the Void architecture.

Newcat3 is very definitely Altar of Pain; if the bugs on the level were fixed (a walkway raises up so far that monsters are flaoting in the air and you cant set foot on it) you could replace Doom 64 in Doom 2's rendition of Altar of Pain with this and it would fit PERFECTLY. I liked the small differences to the N64 version, like having to flood the ground at the start in order to get anywhere.

I would love to see Nevander and the GEC team port/convert these to N64 and PSX someday, as they would fit right in.