Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
crazyflyingdonut

What if Doom's popularity somehow spawned an animated series in the 1990's?

Thankfully, it never happened. You know, cartoons based on video games were crap back then and still are now. Whether it be from America, or an anime.

But what would have resulted if Doom somehow got a shitty cartoon on TV back in the 1990's? Would it even resemble the games? How different would the characters look compared to their original versions in the games? I think that if the demons spoke in any language understandable by humans, then the show would automatically be shit on a stick.

Would we get crappily-made characters exclusive to the show that make Doom look like a joke? Oh dear god, so many questions! I better stop now before I make this article... a tl;dr article!

38 minutes ago, Nootrac4571 said:

And yes, all the demons would talk: Each one would have their own personality - Lost Souls would be enthusiastic ineffectual idiots, constantly charging, screaming into walls the moment they're surprised or even slightly dissatisfied. Mancubi would be slow and dumb but vaguely friendly if they're not being bullied into being violent by the other demons. Revenants would be hyperactive jittery maniacs, pinkies would be loveable idiots who just want to make new friends but can't quite resist also eating them, much to their own confusion.

The Spider Mastermind would be a proper villain, but constantly thwarted by the ineptitude of her useless army of pathetic demons. They'd all be adorable cartoon baddies who'd probably be quite lovely if they didn't happen to work for the Mastermind. It's possible I've spent the last half hour thinking about this way too much.

That would sound like He-Man lol

You know who would be Skeletor..............................................................

i Would Love a Doom He-Man like Cartoon,It sounds like the greatest thing. Also i dont think even Doom takes itself

seriously...well not too seriously,It would be badass if doomguy would be mute too

Street Fighter, Mortal Kombat, and Darkstalkers were all hilariously awful and in no way hurt their respected franchises. 

You just know that Daisy would be shaking her head as she saved Doomguy yet again with the BFG.

If a Doom cartoon was made in the 90's we'd see it with nostalgia glasses and probably love it today. If it were made today they'd figure out some way to bastardize it. Doomguy doing a Fortnite dance, maybe a little ...

2 hours ago, VoidЯemedy said:

If a Doom cartoon was made in the 90's we'd see it with nostalgia glasses and probably love it today. If it were made today they'd figure out some way to bastardize it. Doomguy doing a Fortnite dance, maybe a little ...

Heard that Han Solo thing so much i think i actually like it 0_0

13 hours ago, Ajora said:

Street Fighter, Mortal Kombat, and Darkstalkers were all hilariously awful and in no way hurt their respected franchises. 

I know this wasn't a cartoon, but back in the 90's, there was a Street Fighter comic book miniseries that took the story in such a different direction that, as I recall, they just stopped production on it around Issue 4 or 5 and never finished the story. I think in the last issue, Ken was beaten by Sagat and then, while he was unable to fight back, his head was cut off and mailed to Ryu. The issue ended with Ryu opening the box to find the severed head of his friend.

@Nootrac4571

That sounds like exactly how a Doom cartoon would have been--and it sounds pretty awesome.

16 hours ago, Nootrac4571 said:

friendly tame cacodemon buddy

This might have been the best part of that concept, and it would have eliminated years of people in the future asking which was cuter, the Cacodemon or the Pain Elemental?

17 hours ago, Nootrac4571 said:

You're talking as though this would be a bad thing, but all I can think of is a cheerful Doomguy fighting the hordes of hell alongside his friendly tame cacodemon buddy, learning important lessons every week about responsibility and cooperation, and it sounds like absolutely the best cartoon ever.

Something like this.

Although movies based on games and vice versa turn out shit most of the time, a cartoon might prove the opposite. So, something along these lines actually sounds very interesting, at least on paper, but I would probably prefer it to be a bit darker and more serious. 

The thing is, is that I am also a Sonic fan, and watching AoSTH made me cringe. I mean, it has it's moments, such as the "Snooping as usual" quote and the "Sexual harassment" episode of "Sonic Says SEZ", but for the most part, every episode of AoSTH was painful to watch. You've got the ugly American design that Sonic had in the 1990's (as opposed to the cuter-looking Japanese design), Tails is somehow brown instead of orange, Robotnik arguably has some of the best lines in the entire show, Knuckles didn't exist yet so he's nowhere to be seen, and the rest of the characters are exclusive to AoSTH and most of which are embarrassing. Such characters that didn't belong in anything related to Sonic include: Easy Eddie (basically an asshole), Merna the Merhog (a mermaid Rule 63 version of Sonic), and RoboWife (a waifu for Robotnik).

For me, I believe that AoSTH and SaTAM and definitely Sonic Underground hurt the Sonic franchise because the designs were awful.

What does this have to do with my initial question? Well, maybe that's why I asked:

18 hours ago, crazyflyingdonut said:

Would we get crappily-made characters exclusive to the show that make Doom look like a joke?

18 hours ago, crazyflyingdonut said:

Would it even resemble the games? How different would the characters look compared to their original versions in the games?

I thought heavily about how horrible those 90's Sonic cartoons were when writing my initial question.

Now this all reminds me of the Starship Troopers CG cartoon. It has fuckall to do with the original novel and the satirical 90s movie, but it wasn't a bad cartoon on its own.

Jokes aside, I imagine it would have been a combination of the Exo Squad and Mutant League cartoons, occasionally using CGI like Battletech. Kind of a grim "adult" style, epic music and battles, the demons would talk and probably come off as silly, and the show would get away with the occasional onscreen death.

Most importantly, the toys would have been cool and HIGHLY collectible today. And probably made by Toybiz. I like to pretend this figure is the imp from the 90s action figure line of a different timeline when such a cartoon did exist.

image.png.779eaffc1cc02b1b9157bf48a32a3e86.png

On 1/15/2019 at 5:34 PM, crazyflyingdonut said:

Would it even resemble the games?

I think apart from changing all hell aspects to alien ones, it'd be no further removed from the source material than the Mortal Kombat or Street Fighter cartoons were.

Edited by Impie

9 hours ago, crazyflyingdonut said:

The thing is, is that I am also a Sonic fan, and watching AoSTH made me cringe.

Clearly, you are not a 90s kid. SAD

crazyflyingdonut needs to figure out a way to be even just slightly positive about the world in general, rather than preemptively dunking on whatever piece of popular human culture he can (well, except the singular parts/quotes that get lampooned and bastardized in overtired memes and YTPs, because those are great) just 'cause that's apparently a thing that'll get him props on a forum full of people still playing a game from 1993.

I'm not at all saying the cartoons of that era were actually incredible works of art (I never watched them), I'm just saying your threads will have much richer discussion and will gainsay you far less if you open with a more neutral tone. "Would this be good or bad?" is a far superior opener to "It would definitely be bad because of course everything is bad".

There would be an amazing family friendly catch phrase like, "IT'S TIME TO WRECK HECK!"

Also the main baddie would be the Spider Mastermind with Mother Brain's voice with bumbling mooks Imp and Pinky.

I think a family friendly cartoon wouldn't be that good. Censors the hell out of the series to market it to people who never played it. Especially since the main plot trigger involves demons ravaging Phobos\humanity. 

6 hours ago, Pegg said:

I think a family friendly cartoon wouldn't be that good. Censors the hell out of the series to market it to people who never played it. Especially since the main plot trigger involves demons ravaging Phobos\humanity. 

Around the time the game was released, and even several years after, we did have a surge of more "mature" shows like Batman, X-Men, Exo Squad, even War Planets. The show could easily have kept a dark, gritty style even without the hell aspect.

Would it have held up? Probably not. Most cartoons from the 80s and 90s don't. But we'd probably look back on it and say, "It was cool that they were able to get away with that." And undoubtedly we'd look back on other aspects of it and cringe a little bit.

I mean, shit, Aliens almost had a cartoon.

@Impie What I wouldn't give to see the long lost pilot episode for Operation: Aliens. If the action figures were indicative of anything, there would have been an episode where a marine disguises himself as a xenomorph in order to infiltrate their ranks. Amazing.

1 hour ago, Ajora said:

@Impie What I wouldn't give to see the long lost pilot episode for Operation: Aliens. If the action figures were indicative of anything, there would have been an episode where a marine disguises himself as a xenomorph in order to infiltrate their ranks. Amazing.

I was excited when I finally found a queen alien at walmart. She was a bitch to find.

On the topic of bizarre things to make a kids' cartoon out of, I remember there being a weird Conan the Barbarian one too, but I only watched one episode before deciding to pass on it.

On 1/16/2019 at 1:43 AM, VoidЯemedy said:

If it were made today ...

doomperson and an inclusive band of doom friends would be out redistributing justice across space and time

Edited by rampancy