Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Icarium

Good to be back after 23 years

Welcome To Doomworld!

Yeah, try the final doom wads, and then you can fight with the most popular custom iwads like memento mori, alien vendetta, scythe 2

Happy fight with the demons! :P

Welcome, good to have you.

E4 may come with a shock with difficulty. You have no idea how many great wads and mods are out there. I don't even know what to recommend. Something more old school and humble / less difficulty to start or go to wads like Valiant.

5 minutes ago, Chezza said:

Welcome, good to have you.

E4 may come with a shock with difficulty. You have no idea how many great wads and mods are out there. I don't even know what to recommend. Something more old school and humble / less difficulty to start or go to wads like Valiant.

Hi, thanks. And thanks elend and Gaea74 also!

Another wad that is on my radar and I would like to try is Doom the way id did. I understand the level design/aesthetics are meant to be similar to the original 3 episodes, but does the difficulty level approximate the OG episodes as well? As for my current skill level, I played ep1-3 on Hurt Me Plenty and while it was comfortable, I wouldn't call it easy. Some of that was probably the controls, though, as keyboard+mouse seems way easier to control now.

I don't intend for this to become a wad recommendation thread, but certainly give me a few more examples of interesting mods with a somewhat lower skill requirement if you have any handy. Heretic seems roughly similar in difficulty so far, but still on e1. I think all I played back in the day was the shareware version of this one.

Oh, and I'm definitely looking forward to Romero's upcoming e5 wad!

28 minutes ago, Icarium said:

give me a few more examples of interesting mods with a somewhat lower skill requirement if you have any handy.

The following three threads include plenty of suggestions (as you can see, TVR is a common recommendation):

Don't forget No Rest for the Living. You will be blown away by that (as how it's spirit is close to the original game, particularly KDITD, but at the same time, limit removal and modern as wel). Also don't forget Tech Gone Bad and Phobos Mission Control by Romero.

12 hours ago, Icarium said:

recommendations

Don't try to kill an aware Pain Elemental with rocket launcher in Doom 2

https://onemandoom.blogspot.com

I just leave that there.

Also, the Master Levels are worth playing (if you have them) as far as I'm concerned.

Honestly, just try everything. Most of it is good or better, and they tend to be small files.

12 hours ago, Icarium said:

does the difficulty level approximate the OG episodes as well?

I personally found all twid wads to be harder than vanilla, but not hard per se. Excepting udtwid of course, i.e. E4.

Welcome back, marine!

Check out the cacowards section at the top of the page. It's annual award ceremony honoring the year's top releases.

@Icarium

Welcome back to Doom and welcome to Doomworld!

Speaking for personal experience, coming back after a long absence (mine was 16 years), it can be daunting trying to survey the current landscape and try to wade through all the material out there.

I think you've got a good plan for how to move forward. I would recommend playing some other things before you jump into Eviternity. The Cacowards (and the Top 100 WAD list before them) are all good, but some of them (looking at you Hell Revealed) are way past the IWAD difficulty and then you have the total conversions (Aliens and Batman Doom are both on the list), which can be quite different.

I know you didn't want to make this into another wad recommendation thread (there's a lot already), but a few mapsets to add to your list given what you're looking for (in addition to the number of recommendations you've already received):

28 minutes ago, Pegleg said:

@Icarium

Welcome back to Doom and welcome to Doomworld!

Speaking for personal experience, coming back after a long absence (mine was 16 years), it can be daunting trying to survey the current landscape and try to wade through all the material out there.

I think you've got a good plan for how to move forward. I would recommend playing some other things before you jump into Eviternity. The Cacowards (and the Top 100 WAD list before them) are all good, but some of them (looking at you Hell Revealed) are way past the IWAD difficulty and then you have the total conversions (Aliens and Batman Doom are both on the list), which can be quite different.

I know you didn't want to make this into another wad recommendation thread (there's a lot already), but a few mapsets to add to your list given what you're looking for (in addition to the number of recommendations you've already received):

As far as I remember, we can post the link to the Perdition's Gate wad on the forums now, since the rights reverted back to Mustaine.  He said so himself a year or so ago.  

2 hours ago, Master O said:

As far as I remember, we can post the link to the Perdition's Gate wad on the forums now, since the rights reverted back to Mustaine.  He said so himself a year or so ago.  

I did not know that. Thank you very much.

45 minutes ago, Pegleg said:

I did not know that. Thank you very much.

Here it is.  Go to tmustaine's post:

The Lost Episode.wad
Wonderful Doom v.1.3.wad
Icarus.wad
Memento Mori 1.wad
Memento Mori 2.wad
Requiem.wad
Perdition's Gate.wad
Alien Vendetta.wad

All this wad with dosbox or chocolate doom

My first pwad after finishing Ultimate Doom and Doom II was Ancient Aliens.  It's probably already been mentioned here, but I thought I'd throw it in the ring.  I also highly suggest Back to Saturn X and Tangerine Nightmare.

On 1/18/2019 at 3:09 AM, Nancsi said:

Don't forget No Rest for the Living. You will be blown away by that (as how it's spirit is close to the original game, particularly KDITD, but at the same time, limit removal and modern as wel). Also don't forget Tech Gone Bad and Phobos Mission Control by Romero.

I second NRFTL.  The only flaw it has is that for some reason, there are no Backpacks until the final level.  I guess that was intentional.

2 hours ago, Master O said:

I second NRFTL.  The only flaw it has is that for some reason, there are no Backpacks until the final level.  I guess that was intentional.

Yes, it was definitely intentional:

On mardi 22 avril 2014 at 9:54 AM, TheCastle said:

Honestly, after closely analyzing doom 2 for everything its worth I found that the most balancing destroying item in the game was the backpack. Nothing compares to what this item does to the games overall balance.

https://www.doomworld.com/forum/post/1261270

@TheCastle was, with @Squibbons, one of the two level designers for NRFTL.

Welcome back! Watch some Sunder playthroughs on YouTube to have an approximation of how far down into hell the community has burrowed since the 90's.