Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Chris Hansen

GORE - two maps for Ult. Doom

1 hour ago, Chris Hansen said:

at least one person interested

Isn't the purpose of a like button to avoid the typical "looks cool! downloading" comments?

40 minutes ago, Gothic said:

Isn't the purpose of a like button to avoid the typical "looks cool! downloading" comments?

thanks for pointing that out, I wouldn't want chris thinking he wasn't still appreciated :) 24 'likes' and counting

Gameplay bug on E1M2

Spoiler

If rocket launcher is obtained by touching as the platform lowers (as opposed to walking over it to grab it), Linedef 3800 is never triggered, and the player wanders endlessly with nowhere to go. Even if the teleport was Linedef 3796, the problem would be the same. Would recommend changing the RL platform to an obvious square teleport with a blinking tele-gate flat.

Anyhoo, sweet maps!

Nicely done, an enjoyable hour or so for me, died a bunch of times as usual :p Got confused in E1M1 looking for the blue door after picking up the blue key. Also totally missed the switch to lower the red key, that got me running around in circles for a while. Other than that the maps were pretty straightforward.

@Vorpal Hmm, yeah. Heard it before, then changed a few things. Guess it wasn't good enough. Perhaps you're right, it needs to be completely re-designed.

@BlackFish

I wonder what happened... strange. You are supposed to fight one or two Cybs at the end and when they die some pillars raise leading to the exit.

@Dutch Doomer Glad to hear that you didn't give up :)

9 hours ago, Chris Hansen said:

Glad to hear that you didn't give up :)

Nah I'm stubborn :p I knew I was overlooking something. Good luck on the other two maps, looking forward to playing those.

Using GZDoom.

-------
E1M1
-------
Well-designed and fun. Solid late-E1 map (although the Barons push it into E2). One minor thing to fix. In the Blur Sphere secret, half of the free-standing SLADRIP column, sector 470, is also tagged secret. Can't be scored. I suppose I should also mention that you can score the Blue Key without triggering the linedef to open the monster closet, but that may be more smart gameplay than a bug; grabbing things at furthest possible distance.

Oh, and love the reveal of the exit. Very cool.

-------
E1M2
-------
Playing tag with the Cybers certainly built tension. Nothing like hearing a monster scream once, then silence. The tag 666 bars don't open when the Cybers die, but since I'm using GZDoom, I wouldn't expect them to. Probably requires a Mapinfo with a 'specialaction' for this map for it to work.

---
There are also two things here which aren't bugs, but are just personal pet peeves - 1) Secrets you don't have to do anything to find. I know id did it all the time and 'chained secrets' are an author's choice, but I never liked them. 2) Liquids which have different damaging values in the same map or same wad. Again, Plutonia had maps with damaging blood followed by maps with non-damaging blood (not sure about in the same map). In E1M1 you have nukage which is -2/-5 and -5/-10. At least they're both damaging. Doom2 has two different variations of brown slime. I've always thought each standard liquid type should have four variations so you can tell, on sight, whether a liquid is very damaging or not at all before you step in it (I include damaging water for nuclear reactors, boiling hot springs and freezing rivers. I suppose non-damaging lava would be RROCK05 or SLIME09). Not bugs, just a minor rant. Overall, really liked these maps. Hope you finish the other two.

Thank you @EffinghamHuffnagel for the useful feedback! I'll fix some of those issues for sure. The damaging floors that have different values is a bug; probably down the fact that I worked on and off on the map for so long. I'll look into making a mapinfo lump so M2 works properly in other ports. It's probably the issue @BlackFish encountered too.

Fixed most or all of the issues and a couple of other things (mostly in the txt file).

- Changed RL platform behaviour/sequence in M2.

- All damaging floors in M1 do the same damage now (2%/5%)

- Made the switch for the red key platform more visible.

- Added mapinfo lump so the end of M2 doesn't bug in a port like gzdoom.

- Removed secret tag of a sector in M1.

- Changed appearence of the area around blue key in M1.

- Changed name of file from GoreE1E2 to GoreM1M2 as it's more appropriate imho since we're talking missions here, not episodes.

- and a couple of other minor things not worth mentioning.

GoreM1M2.zip

Edited by Chris Hansen : changed attached file to most recent version

So... Doomworld warns me about not bumping this probably forgotten thread. But I cant help it. These two maps are great! Really good Ultimate Doom material. I totally love the style, flow and combat. It might need no play testing anymore, but I recorded it anyway. Really fun Doom one! So here we go: BUMP!

Thank you very much for the video, @sectrslayr! I'm glad you didn't feel like it was a complete waste of time and you seemed to enjoy most of the two levels. It's always nice to see that different players have different styles and approaches in terms of attacking monsters, finding secrets and figuring out where to go next. Yours was a way I haven't seen that many times before, but oddly enough reminds me a lot about my own way. We even both chicken out and play on HMP! Hehe!

I am oldschool and back in the day we used textures like SW1GARG for decoration, not a switch. I guess I should really stop doing that because everyone and their grandmother presses them to activate them! :D Also, I might also stop making decorations like computer panels, because they are also worn out by greedy, green marine fingers on the hunt for goodies!

And then, of course the CD fight... sigh, you made me look like a fool there. OMG! Play the levels again on UV and go out of that room. That was just cheating! Wait, who I am kidding... I made a mistake and you stumbled across it. My bad.

Thanks again for playing and taking the time to make a video! Much appreciated! Call me anytime if you need advice, playtesting or if you're lucky and find that I got a little extra time, maybe a collaboration or teamwork of some kind.

On 7/30/2021 at 8:39 PM, Chris Hansen said:

Thank you very much for the video, @sectrslayr! I'm glad you didn't feel like it was a complete waste of time and you seemed to enjoy most of the two levels. It's always nice to see that different players have different styles and approaches in terms of attacking monsters, finding secrets and figuring out where to go next. Yours was a way I haven't seen that many times before, but oddly enough reminds me a lot about my own way. We even both chicken out and play on HMP! Hehe!

I am oldschool and back in the day we used textures like SW1GARG for decoration, not a switch. I guess I should really stop doing that because everyone and their grandmother presses them to activate them! :D Also, I might also stop making decorations like computer panels, because they are also worn out by greedy, green marine fingers on the hunt for goodies!

And then, of course the CD fight... sigh, you made me look like a fool there. OMG! Play the levels again on UV and go out of that room. That was just cheating! Wait, who I am kidding... I made a mistake and you stumbled across it. My bad.

Thanks again for playing and taking the time to make a video! Much appreciated! Call me anytime if you need advice, playtesting or if you're lucky and find that I got a little extra time, maybe a collaboration or teamwork of some kind.

Your very welcome! I’d love to cooperate on Doom 1 style stuff for Doom 2. I know some people like to see UD tech base stuff over there. 😉

Don’t know when I can play all your UD stuff. I think I will be away from the internet for quite some time soon. But once I’m back, there will be DooM… 😉

40 minutes ago, Biodegradable said:

You a big meanie, Mr Hansen. But also a master Doomsmith ;^)

Much obliged, sir! :) Thank you for that fine playthrough, enjoyed it very much. Especially the part where you stop midway through the CD fight and have a little chat with the missus, hehe! @Steve D dubbed me the axe-murderer once, but I don't think Gore is that bad. Glad I got a few pelts of you, but you pulled through. And sorry for being oldschool with confusing progression, layout and secrets! I just like it if a level doesn't just throw everything at you on a silver platter :) Thanks again for sharing and be sure to check out "The Mean Green" and "Bond of Hatred" if you like my stuff.

28 minutes ago, Chris Hansen said:

where you stop midway through the CD fight and have a little chat with the missus, hehe!

Haha that was Mum. Forgot to edit that out :^P

30 minutes ago, Chris Hansen said:

Thanks again for sharing and be sure to check out "The Mean Green" and "Bond of Hatred" if you like my stuff.

No worries, fam. I enjoyed it. Also, I fucking love Bond of Hatred. One of my favourite maps from last year.

44 minutes ago, Biodegradable said:

Haha that was Mum. Forgot to edit that out :^P

No worries, fam. I enjoyed it. Also, I fucking love Bond of Hatred. One of my favourite maps from last year.

Hehe! Did she try and get you to move out and get your own place? ;)

And now that I think about it, I think I remember you commenting positively on BoH. Cheers!