Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
obake

The Omega Project 2019 near final release

On 6/1/2019 at 4:14 AM, Ninehills42 said:

Alright, I'm in!

Sorry for the super late reply. I've been so busy with other projects I forgot to check this one.

Welcome aboard!

On 6/25/2019 at 8:00 PM, NeedHealth said:

I'll try to do a map in a few months.

Wonderful!

Since there is no DWMP this year, I have decided to allow other formats, which I will update in the opening of the thread.

3 hours ago, obake said:

Since there is no DWMP this year, I have decided to allow other formats, which I will update in the opening of the thread.

Great news!

Just a reminder: the deadline for this project is approaching. Hopefully there will be enough by January 1, 2020 to make a decent sized wad!

8 hours ago, obake said:

Just a reminder: the deadline for this project is approaching. Hopefully there will be enough by January 1, 2020 to make a decent sized wad!

If I had to guess, I would say that the lack of interest is two-fold: 1) there was usually a flurry in the last month of the DMP's and last year's DOP, and 2) people may be waiting for there to be more textures and flats in the resource pack.

Even though submitters are free to go back and update their maps with new textures and flats added later (after their submission), they may not want the hassle.

EDIT: I am planning to submit a map to this project. I just need to actually find the time to do so, which will hopefully be prior to December 30, like last year.

Speaking of the resource pack, @obake, I downloaded the version 2 resource pack on the first page and I can't find any textures or flats that I don't recognize from the iwad. Which are the new textures/flats that were added to the resource pack? Or were other things added?

Edited by Pegleg : I'm planning to submit to this project.

On 10/16/2019 at 12:18 AM, Pegleg said:

Speaking of the resource pack, @obake, I downloaded the version 2 resource pack on the first page and I can't find any textures or flats that I don't recognize from the iwad. Which are the new textures/flats that were added to the resource pack? Or were other things added?

Thanks for the reply, Pegleg. The new textures should be listed under the "omegv2.wad" folder in Doombuilder. The new textures include a pulsating floor of blood and flesh ("BLID1-3"), a floor of just flesh ("FFLS"), a metal floor ("METAL5_4"), a waterfall ("NWFAL01-04"), bricks ("OBBRIC5"), a green sky ("QSKYZ"), a few tech walls ("TECH01_1", "TWALL1_1", "TWALL2_1"), and a checkerboard floor ("WALL9_8").

Other resources include a Marine monster, the UAC-Goon, and a new tech lamp and candelabra.

I hope more people submit. I really, really like the idea of people adding textures in a pool system, so to speak.

Hey. Would it be alright if I attempted to contribute a Boom map for this project? I have read and understood the outlined rules.

Edited by TheV1perK1ller : Had trouble getting started.

My map for the Omega Project 2019:

necrofi.wad

Map name: Necrofilog

Compatibility: (G)ZDoom

Tested in: ZDoom 2.8.1,

Jump/crouch: no

Difficulty settings: (yes/no) yes

Build time: 10 mounts but with long breaks

Tools used: Doom Builder 2, XWE 1.16

Music: map30

necrofi.zip

On 11/7/2019 at 1:35 PM, TheV1perK1ller said:

Had trouble getting started.

Don't worry. Take all the time you need!

4 hours ago, Sasha said:

necrofi.wad

Map name: Necrofilog

Compatibility: (G)ZDoom

Tested in: ZDoom 2.8.1,

Jump/crouch: no

Difficulty settings: (yes/no) yes

Build time: 10 mounts but with long breaks

Tools used: Doom Builder 2, XWE 1.16

Music: map30

necrofi.zip

I can't wait to test it out!

I'll start working on a map for this. How exactly do I submit maps for this? (Sorry if I sound dumb, I'm new to this kind of project.)

6 hours ago, Sasha said:

I loved this map. I was afraid it was going to be too hard for me but no, it was very fun. Each part was unique and very challenging.

I really like this kind of puzzle maps. You made some clever use of scripts. (It took me a while to figure out how the imp fireballs puzzle works, but it was great)

Nice job!

1 hour ago, Mengo said:

I'll start working on a map for this. How exactly do I submit maps for this? (Sorry if I sound dumb, I'm new to this kind of project.)

Put your map in a zip file, then upload it to a site like Mediafire or Dropbox, and post the link to the thread.

I'm glad to see more people start joining in!

Can you post the updated resource pack, since a new map has been posted (assuming it has new resources)?

On 12/9/2019 at 3:36 PM, Pegleg said:

Can you post the updated resource pack, since a new map has been posted (assuming it has new resources)?

I don't believe Sasha's map uses anything new. I'll check later today.

For your consideration in the Omega2019 project I submit my first speedmap, a Metal/Tech/Hell themed level called "Azoth of the Minotaur". Doom2 in Doom format. It uses vanilla textures and a few of the omegav2 resources as well. The textures aren't set into the wad, I'm still new to that side of things, but the resource file is in the zip just to be sure. I've defined the level as slot21 for the hell sky and included a small decorate file in the wad to assign the proper sky and title the level in the automap.

I had never tried speedmapping before and I wanted to give it a go, so I started making this level last week and finished it in 4 days, which is unheard of for me. As a point of reference I remade the very beginning of the map from an old layout I made back in the 90's, and I like medieval architecture so I based the rest of the map roughly on the floor plan of a cathedral. It's a medium/large map intended possibly for mid-late episode 3. There are quite a few monsters and heavy combat, but I don't know if I would call it "slaughter" exactly. Difficulty levels are implemented, I tried to make it challenging on higher difficulties but still accessible to any player on medium or easier settings as well. Co-op and DM starts are in this version of the map, but multiplayer is untested and probably rough. I tested the map from pistol start, can fully max UV, but continuous play would be fine also. Jumping/crouch/mouselook are enabled but not required.

Screenshots:

Spoiler

AMwBBGs.png

k74dKzb.png

8hUBZ4P.png

Map Information:

Spoiler

Build Time: 32 hours. (all times are approximate)

8 hours - Initial layout

8 hours - Texturing, details

8 hours - Item+monster placement, start test runs

8 hours - Final testing, last minute changes etc.

Map Statistics:

Vertices: 2700

Linedefs: 3792

Sidedefs: 6670

Sectors: 999

Things: 1369

Monster/Item/Secret #: *potential spoiler alert*

Spoiler

Skill 1+2: 222

Skill 3    : 441

Skill 4+5: 666

Items: 51

Secrets: 3

If anyone would like to try the map, feedback or opinions would be awesome. Feel free to @ or send me a message if there are any questions or problems with the level. 

Doomworld attachment:

AZOTH.zip

(zip file contains AZOTH.wad, omegav2.wad resources file and the .txt for the map.)

<map updated I noticed some misplaced textures>

Edited by reflex17

I finished my map! Uses omegav2 sources to work.

dop19.zip

Title: Omega Station

Port: Gzdoom (UDMF)

Tested with: Gzdoom 3.7.2

Tools Used: GzdoomBuilder-bugfix, Slade 3

Jump / Crouch: Yes

New Textures: Yes, from Skulltag, Mars 3D and a skybox by Mechadon

Music: rez - Corruption Chip.mod

Build time: Started back in January 16 and finished this evening, with a VERY long pause between the making.

Difficulty Settings: Yes, a very little

I did a quick run through of the last two maps posted (I'll try and play the others soon).

@reflex17 For a 32 hour build time you did a great job, and I had a total blast playing this thing. The opening area reminded me of the opening from Argent D’Nur, and I was just coasting along thinking “oh, this is pretty chill.” Then I actually got inside. Really loved the setup here, how you can basically siege your way in down either side of the map, and the roaming Cyberdemons were a fun element amidst the screeching hordes. Always had to be on my toes, which I loved.

I admired the interesting pentagram shape/lines of red that were carved into the ground of the central hall at the back of the map, and the theme of clean black engulfing the majority of the level gave it this really oppressive feeling, which fit the gameplay well. (And strangely, fit the music as well... I usually don’t care for that Doom 2 MIDI much, but I actually really liked it here).

I played it on UV and, by the end, there was still a boatload of unused ammo (mainly all of the ammo along the two top ledges in the back hall, but more elsewhere as well). That said, I did enjoy getting to basically use the RL and PR rather liberally the entire time.

Very entertaining map; loved the visual style. (Also, I don't want to spoil how you...… "unleash" the final Cyberdemon in the BFG room.... but, I laughed pretty hard).

@Walter confetti This was a very visually interesting little map! I thought the spaceship setting really complimented all of the wonderful lighting ideas you implemented, and overall the atmosphere was great. I loved the caged off pits of nukage waste emanating that toxic green glow!

A bit short, and never too challenging (honestly that lone Revenant gave me the biggest grief for some reason, haha), but I think this would be absolutely perfect in an early slot.

The concepts you toyed around with regarding gravity, and the vacuum of space (in the secret) were really cool, and I kind of felt myself wishing you'd used this concept a little more throughout the map, as it added some quite unique gameplay opportunities. Either way, this was a fun level!  

1 hour ago, RonnieJamesDiner said:

I did a quick run through of the last two maps posted (I'll try and play the others soon).

@reflex17 For a 32 hour build time you did a great job, and I had a total blast playing this thing. The opening area reminded me of the opening from Argent D’Nur, and I was just coasting along thinking “oh, this is pretty chill.” Then I actually got inside. Really loved the setup here, how you can basically siege your way in down either side of the map, and the roaming Cyberdemons were a fun element amidst the screeching hordes. Always had to be on my toes, which I loved.

I admired the interesting pentagram shape/lines of red that were carved into the ground of the central hall at the back of the map, and the theme of clean black engulfing the majority of the level gave it this really oppressive feeling, which fit the gameplay well. (And strangely, fit the music as well... I usually don’t care for that Doom 2 MIDI much, but I actually really liked it here).

I played it on UV and, by the end, there was still a boatload of unused ammo (mainly all of the ammo along the two top ledges in the back hall, but more elsewhere as well). That said, I did enjoy getting to basically use the RL and PR rather liberally the entire time.

Very entertaining map; loved the visual style. (Also, I don't want to spoil how you...… "unleash" the final Cyberdemon in the BFG room.... but, I laughed pretty hard).

Hey thanks, I'm a fan of yours and I'm glad to see you had a decent run with no major issues regarding gameplay or anything breaking etc. I've never played Argent D'Nur so I'll have to check that out. The pentagram was a bit of a pain during testing so I ended up trying to make pockets of monsters around and I'm glad that worked out okay.

Also during testing I was really low on the ammo at first so I probably ended up going overboard a little in adding more, so that's something I could trim down easily, and it helps a lot to know where the extra was. This map was a big experiment for me, not only doing a speedmap, but also doing a different style than I usually do, so it's good to hear you had a decent experience and had a laugh along the way. Thanks again for playing and giving your thoughts.

1 hour ago, reflex17 said:

Also during testing I was really low on the ammo at first so I probably ended up going overboard a little in adding more, so that's something I could trim down easily, and it helps a lot to know where the extra was.

Ammo felt pretty much perfect for the majority of the map, it's really just that stockpile at the very end that could probably be trimmed, if not cut outright (the rocket and cell ammo along those side ledges where the herds of Revs and Mancubi are in the final room). I cleared it, finally got up there and thought there must be one more massive battle until I realized the kill count was at 100% and the exit was right there. Bearing in mind though that, I let infighting do a lot of work in that area, especially the final battle, so that might play into it. 

Hello All,

Here is my submission for the Omega2019 "Speed Map"

It is currently replacing map Map01, (Can be changed as needed)

Hell Themed Map

Build time Approx 30 hrs

New Textures, just omegav2 included in zip.

One additional Texture Added- CSKY006  --> id Software
New Midi Music - retrieved from freemidi.org - could not find author.

Port: Limit Removing, tested in GZdoom & PrBoom+, MAPINFO Used to rename level

Skill Levels: implemented, tested in UV max, and in the lower skill levels to a lesser extent.

Was design to be completeable without jumping, but jumping shouldn't break the map.

If you find any errors, bugs, etc. please let me know :)

Download ==> Burning Deep.zip

Map  Updated As of 12/25/19 bug fix in yellow key room & SSG missing from lower area in easier modes

Edited by Steve88

Alright, just barely sort of making that speedmapping deadline! Here's my submission for the project.

>>>>>>>>>> DOWNLOAD (v1.4)

Name: Colosseum of the Acid King

Format: BOOM

Tested with: prboom+ (2.5.1.4) and gzdoom (4.2.4)

Difficulty Settings: Yes

Coop: Yes (2-4 players) as of v1.4

Build Time: 10 days, give or take

Credits: Jimmy for the MIDI, and Mechadon for the sky

Everything else are just stock resources, no custom textures.

(So, this works fine in prboom+ but I need to note that the custom sky is only in gzdoom right now (sadly). I wasn't sure how to get the sky texture working in prboom without replacing one of the vanilla skies, which might not work well with the rest of the maps in the project. If someone knows how I can get that sky to work in prboom without having to replace a stock sky texture, please message me.)

hookshot_forum.png.6640bb9543925daac9c2e00977c6d7f1.png

More screenshots:

Spoiler

three_forum.png.ae8dc3cfbc875a7b69bdd4ef320ccd65.png

two_forum.png.e7ce64971968551b939e59a16f864e4c.png

one_forum.png.ec8130ed11212fc4d4dd0948e41ae35f.png

Edited by RonnieJamesDiner

@Steve88 Damn, now that's what I call a hot start! Finished your map on UV in about 23 minutes with 100% kills and 42% secrets. That was a hectic, bombastic adventure, to say the least -- but a very enjoyable ride. At the very beginning, I went blindly running like a madman just trying to find weapons and safety, and wound up going first to the red key / RL area, which felt like a huge mistake, but I made it work eventually. The PE's were the biggest pain in the ass. 

I love the sense of non-linearity and connectivity, even though there isn't really much non-linearity. I think the fact that you can wind up just about anywhere from that beginning is a fun bit of chaos. The map is quite nice to look at, with a consistent theme and a wonderful use of textures, shadows, and architecture throughout. The many arenas and skirmishes seemed enjoyable and varied enough to be distinct, with a heavy use of AV's and PE's being used as "priority target" wild cards in most of them. Progression, health, ammo, flow -- it all seemed pretty on point here. I liked the little puzzle-ish pillar room, as well, and realized I could've used that secret to get the red key without having to do that massive fight at the beginning! A neat touch.

Overall a very entertaining, balls-to-the-wall map. Great MIDI choice as well.

One issue I found:

Spoiler

The pillar with the yellow skull and AV doesn't have a switch to lower if you go up with it, you just get trapped up there.