Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Doomkid

Vanilla plays back in Choco, Crispy, PrBoom+, but desyncs in Doom2.exe and Odamex?

So I'm really wanting to get the release revision of Rowdy Rudy's Revenge released, really rather rough dealing with this weirdness getting in the way though.

rrudy_.zip

I recorded DEMO1 - DEMO4 in Chocolate Doom. As the thread title states, it plays back fine in Choco, Crispy, PrBoom+, but desyncs in Doom2.exe and Odamex. What's weirder, DEMO2 and DEMO4 seem to work fine in vanilla, but DEMO1 and DEMO3 do not. Stranger still, if I record the demos using the dehacked-edited version of Doom2.exe (rrudy_.exe) then they desync in everything, including itself! I haven't tried recording in PrBoom or Odamex because I thought surely Choco would work in everything. Maybe this has to do with different ports handling dehacked patches differently?

I'd love it if an expert could explain what exactly is going on here

It is very possible that is what is messing it all up, however in one of the demos that desyncs there aren't any lost souls so I'm wondering if it's something else as well. I wouldn't be surprised if the lost soul issue is compounding it all though!

Recordings with vanilla resulting in a desync with everything kind of makes me wonder if some sort of memory corruption is involved, in which case yeah it could be your DeHackEd patch to blame.

If that's the case, hopefully there's some way I can fix it. I know it's not like anyone really cares if the start up demos desync, I'm sure 99% of people don't even watch them, but I still thought it would feel a tad nicer that way. If it's not possible it's not a big deal though and I'll just release it (mostly) as-is.

They play back OK as external demos but as you say DEMO1 desyncs when used as an internal demo (I presume the same goes for DEMO3, but I haven't the patience to wait for that).

Probably this issue.

Edited by Grazza

3 minutes ago, Grazza said:

Probably this issue.

a strange bug

you'd think that homing rockets would be determined through P_Random or something

I played it but MAP10 sent me into a hole I couldn't get out of with no textures where I could see underneath the whole level. I had to clip out.

Sweet epilogue screen man