Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DJVCardMaster

Which program do you use to make custom MIDIs?

I'm currently using anvil studio, but is awful, the interface is clunky, it's a hell to change the notes' volume, there is apparently no way to make notes slide. It's pretty old for my taste.
I feel like I want to use something more, but I don't know if these days a modern (kindof) software that composes MIDI music exists.

Any alternatives? I was thinking on FL Studio, but mine is a little bit bugged when it comes to create MIDIs, for some reason.

Sekaiju is what's generally recommended nowadays in these kinda thread.

I am a former Anvil Studio user but I found Aria Maestosa having everything Anvil Studio does MIDI wise but with a better interface: http://ariamaestosa.sourceforge.net

I only wish it had a better note velocity editor like FL Studio. If you try it and get stuck trying to do something let me know.

PS. Did you get far enough in FL Studio to see if it would transfer volume and pitch bend envelopes into midi format? That's one thing I think FL Studio wasn't able to do (but Aria Maestosa does) but I wasn't able to verify that.

Aria Maestosa is great, but it has numerous inconveniences as compared to the abandonware it was meant to replace ("EasyBeat", now defunct, unless you have a powerpc mac, or a VM of one, lying around). Notable complaints include:

- lack of ability to make changes during playback

- zooming in/out is kludgy

- lack of ability to transpose individual tracks in playback (but not in notation)

- lack of ability to type in guitar tab frets above 19 (holding shift for 10+ is awkward enough...)

- pitch bend is restricted to +-2 semitones (extended midi format supports at least +-12)

but if none of those features are something you use in your sequencing workflow than the software is quite brilliant otherwise.

It's not free, but I used Guitar Pro for the longest time. If you're able to read tabs (or sheet music) it makes transcribing super simple. TuxGuitar is a basically identical free alternative.

16 hours ago, Ribbiks said:

- pitch bend is restricted to +-2 semitones (extended midi format supports at least +-12)

I have to boot it up again, but I thought it gave me an option to change the semitone range much higher. But the other criticisms are valid. I talked to the author a bit about efficiency of changing velocity issue I was having, but there didn't seem to be much motivation to add such a feature. I think it is open source so it can be done, but I am not that good of a programmer myself unfortunately.

On 1/19/2019 at 9:10 PM, Doomkid said:

It's not free, but I used Guitar Pro for the longest time. If you're able to read tabs (or sheet music) it makes transcribing super simple. TuxGuitar is a basically identical free alternative.

Have you tried tux-guitar? It’s basically an open source guitar pro