Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
CountArchvile

Alternatives to GZDoom

at the moment i made a thread asking for help fixing my Current GZDoom (which wont start)

i was wondering if i could get another source port that has similar features to it. the reason being the wad im working on has a fog effect that doesnt transition well into ZDoom and i like the extra features GZDoom adds.

If it's just fog, probably, although it's strange that it'd not start.

Is your hardware old? If so, try the Legacy build, though those themselves might not be happening for much longer. 

Eternity and EDGE should be relatively close.

But if you want a version of ZDoom geared for old hardware, there's LZDoom and ZDoom LE, both made by drfrag. They are really cool for running GZDoom in computers that normally don't.

LZDoom is pretty much just modern GZDoom with an older Direct3D backend and other tweaks for older PCs.

ZDoom LE is a modded ZDoom 2.8.1 with performance increases, support for Windows 98, OpenGL 1.4 render and very high framerates.

If you want to run very recent mods LZDoom. What TDRR said, ZDoom LE also has a lot of bugfixes and some important security patches but there's still a pending inminent release. It's a MinGW build but i'm considering a VS 2015 build as well. I also need to fix my BD v20c version for the new GZDoom.

There's also ZDoom32 based on a very late ZDoom with the last version of the old GL renderer, has an older software truecolor renderer faster on old hardware.

6 hours ago, -TDRR- said:

Eternity and EDGE should be relatively close.

But if you want a version of ZDoom geared for old hardware, there's LZDoom and ZDoom LE, both made by drfrag. They are really cool for running GZDoom in computers that normally don't.

LZDoom is pretty much just modern GZDoom with an older Direct3D backend and other tweaks for older PCs.

ZDoom LE is a modded ZDoom 2.8.1 with performance increases, support for Windows 98, OpenGL 1.4 render and very high framerates.

Imma try it out,Thanks!

On 1/20/2019 at 9:12 AM, Dark Pulse said:

If so, try the Legacy build, though those themselves might not be happening for much longer. 

The main thing was to clarify that in this phrase it is not Doom Legacy, which is a separate port not affiliated with G/ZDoom.