Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Shaikoten

32in24-17 - 3-Way CTF

Welllll, I'm heading to bed, of some more slip in over the course of the next day or so that's cool, I know this was a pretty challenging format and the layouts took longer to sort out.

I'll take that as a cue to shit out another trainwreck really quickly, then.

Name: Triandemonium

Author: Shadow Hog

Build Time: 2-4 hours

Music: BIZARRE2.MID from Gubble 2

Download: Dropbox link

Screenshot (click thumbnail to expand):

32in24-17_triandemonimtjy9.png

I kept thinking about how almost all the cited "good" maps in the OP were basically corners on a triangle with only one way out - into the center of the triangle - and decided to reduce that to its barest form. ...But then grabbing flags became too damn easy, so I put them up on lifts that you have to lower to slow that down a bit. I don't think it really solved that problem, but the end result is still rather fun for those times when you just want to shoot guys without thinking too hard. Plus while the level design is amateur hour, at least the detailing's better than my serious attempt.

Oh, but it is confirming something that I had noticed but wasn't sure the cause of - for some reason, the resource texture pack seriously corrupts the texture definitions for the Doom 2 textures in ZDaemon. Explains why what I thought should be a nice glassy texture in SHAWN3 (and, indeed, what works as intended in Zandronum) was turning into bricks in ZDaemon. I used enough of the new textures that this was the only error I'd noticed; I hadn't stumbled upon the tutti-frutti hell that this mostly-stock-texture-using map revealed. (Compare what it should look like to what it actually looks like.)

I'm not really sure what to do with my map at this point, marcaek helped uncluck it a bit but I can't seem to come up with anything for the middle. If anyone wants to take a crack at a middle area that'd be cool, but i'm by no means telling anyone to do it, only if you feel like it. Sry I wasn't able to make a complete map, I suck!!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/nmcfjqw2bm9vr49/32in24-17-rott.wad?dl=0

17 minutes ago, RottKing said:

I'm not really sure what to do with my map at this point, marcaek helped uncluck it a bit but I can't seem to come up with anything for the middle. If anyone wants to take a crack at a middle area that'd be cool, but i'm by no means telling anyone to do it, only if you feel like it. Sry I wasn't able to make a complete map, I suck!!

Rott you are an amazing beautiful flower and I think you need to give this map a rad name so we know the spirit of mid because you are the best person at naming maps ever.

I just updated my maps with some better/more detailing and some fixes.  See the original post for all of the info, but I'll also repost the links here.

Yoo Hoo Wrecking Crew: http://mekworx.the-powerhouse.net/mekastuff/wads/32in24/32in24-17/mek-yoo_hoo_wrecking_crew.wad

Butt Scratcher Deluxe: http://mekworx.the-powerhouse.net/mekastuff/wads/32in24/32in24-17/mek-butt_scratcher_deluxe.wad

Swirly-o-tron: http://mekworx.the-powerhouse.net/mekastuff/wads/32in24/32in24-17/mek-swirlyotron.wad

7 hours ago, RottKing said:

Probably sticking my nose where it doesn't belong, but you could leave the middle empty and make it super-slippery ice. And the triangle points drop-offs into lava death-pits.

37 minutes ago, EffinghamHuffnagel said:

Probably sticking my nose where it doesn't belong, but you could leave the middle empty and make it super-slippery ice. And the triangle points drop-offs into lava death-pits.

Yeah, that's not a bad idea, maybe not so much the ice part but having a big pit in the middle

6 hours ago, RottKing said:

Yeah, that's not a bad idea, maybe not so much the ice part but having a big pit in the middle

But the ice part is the whole thing RottKing!

@bonnie infernew mapping burnout-ville has a slime trail in the blue base. (shows up when using software rendering)

Spoiler

KpIerAt.png

1 hour ago, Worst said:

@bonnie infernew mapping burnout-ville has a slime trail in the blue base. (shows up when using software rendering)

thank you friend!!! i have exterminated this filthy slimetrail (and some others i just found) and changed that awful blue base texture: bon3wayCTFv102.zip

i'll be sure to credit you when my map receives its nobel peace prize friend

P.S. you might have done it by accident but when you @ somebody, you have to click the name on the little menu that pops up so it has a blue highlight or that person wont get a notification (i saw your reply by pure coincidence), like this: @Worst

I was working on a third map - a serious attempt, not like the triangle map - but A) it's way past the 24 hour deadline, and B) I was having trouble with the Build-style water surface I was using for the map (worked awesomely for players! Didn't work at all for anything but players!), so I guess I'll have to set that one aside. Shame, but what can ya do.

I notice MAP32 uses a music module for its stage. Was that an option the whole time? The OP specified MIDI, so I wasn't sure; if it was an option, I'm pretty sure I'll want to change my music choice (though I'll specify what to when I update the map as per detailing/feedback). Not for the triangle map, though, the Gubble track is about what that one deserves.

10 hours ago, Shadow Hog said:

I was working on a third map - a serious attempt, not like the triangle map - but A) it's way past the 24 hour deadline, and B) I was having trouble with the Build-style water surface I was using for the map (worked awesomely for players! Didn't work at all for anything but players!), so I guess I'll have to set that one aside. Shame, but what can ya do.

Honestly? I'd rather have the serious map, we already have a couple dumb triangle ones in the set. If you want to keep on working on it I don't mind, as long as you can throw it up in the next day or two.

This is about as workable as it's gonna get. I'll caution that literally only players travel through the water's surface as intended, but I guess it's playable if a bit janky (the flag resets pretty quickly, at least).

Name: Actually, I don't have a good one. Either "Anchorage à Trois" or (borrowing from the Google Sheets doc) "Three Men on a Boat", I guess.

Author: Shadow Hog

Build Time: 2-3 days (whoops)

Music: "Irie Party Time" from Duke Nukem 3D: Caribbean Life's a Beach by Jenna Ramsey

Download: Dropbox link

Screenshot (click thumbnails to expand):

32in24-17_boatstage_iv0j6x.png screenshot_doom_20190eckef.png screenshot_doom_20190zajfy.png screenshot_doom_201908sj2a.png screenshot_doom_201907ckaf.png screenshot_doom_20190fnky0.png

On 1/22/2019 at 11:26 PM, bonnie said:

P.S. you might have done it by accident but when you @ somebody, you have to click the name on the little menu that pops up so it has a blue highlight or that person wont get a notification (i saw your reply by pure coincidence), like this: @Worst

Ah, I remember seeing the little menu pop up, but didn't realize that I'd need to click on it. Thanks for the tip @bonnie! I Look forward to the nobel ceremony friend!

On 1/24/2019 at 11:33 AM, Shadow Hog said:

This is about as workable as it's gonna get. I'll caution that literally only players travel through the water's surface as intended, but I guess it's playable if a bit janky (the flag resets pretty quickly, at least).

Cool idea, though with the way it works, if you have your eyes above the surface, but feet below the surface, then other players completely submerged in the water can't see your feet since you are not in the same area. I hope it's not too much of an issue.

Also I noticed that in the middle there are some spots in the slope that let you slip above the surface without getting teleported:

Spoiler

dSBKmTd.png

I guess this might be intentional, but you play the map border warning sounds with AmbientSound, which means that all players will hear it as loud, regardless of their distance to the player that activated it. ActivatorSound and LocalAmbientSound  may be worth considering too.

6 hours ago, Worst said:

Cool idea, though with the way it works, if you have your eyes above the surface, but feet below the surface, then other players completely submerged in the water can't see your feet since you are not in the same area. I hope it's not too much of an issue.

Yeah, there's a lot of limitations with how this works, unfortunately, but without access to 3D floors so I can just do the water properly (or stacked sector portals - which I've tried, but while the as-of-writing stable versions of ZDaemon and Zandronum can both render them just fine, neither can do the interactive kind GZDoom currently has, so they're not really any better, and in some ways much worse), I'm not sure what better I can do without completely gutting parts like the plasma rifle chamber or the undersides of the bases such that I don't have to divide the entire map in two like a Build map. All I can do is hope that the glaring flaws are considered minor enough to let fly.

6 hours ago, Worst said:

Also I noticed that in the middle there are some spots in the slope that let you slip above the surface without getting teleported:

Hide contents

dSBKmTd.png

Yeah, I'm really not sure what's causing that, but I'd noticed it too. For the record, those sectors are actually tagged to work same as the others, and in fact do work the same as the others... sometimes. It seems if you slide up the slope very slowly, you can wind up above the water in the "underwater" half of the map, but if you don't move at all after that, duck under the surface and resurface, you're warped as expected. I'm not sure what the cause is or if it's something I can even address properly (I suppose I could remove the slopes entirely and just make similar geometry out of perfectly-flat surfaces...).

6 hours ago, Worst said:

I guess this might be intentional, but you play the map border warning sounds with AmbientSound, which means that all players will hear it as loud, regardless of their distance to the player that activated it. ActivatorSound and LocalAmbientSound  may be worth considering too.

Actually I just kinda copied that script from Reelism, so I guess that mod also notifies literally everyone in the game to fight like a robot. However, informing literally every player isn't my intention, so I'll be sure to change that in a later revision.

Alright, feedback post. It's gonna grow, I'll be editing it in map by map. Here goes.

MAP01 "An Unreasonable Amount of Bushes" // by Alfred

Solid map, it's at the very edge of getting interesting for compet, but it's dragged down by a few details that hamper it. Basically, the mid is undersold because it's always better to run along the walls rather than travel through the mid. So basically, get rid of those helper platforms, be cruel, make that path harder. But I think it should be counter-balanced by making the giant starcase... bigger, so that one can really use it to jump across if one does the proper moves. It should be challenging to make the jump.

On the other hand, make the mid section more of a proper wide platform so it's not a total deaththrap and allows some maneuvering. Also I think you should slightly normalize the height of the mid pits. Not by a lot, but this height feels just a bit too excessive... kind of a gut feel, shallower pits might make jumping down into an actual strat instead of a painful mistake.

Finally, bases. I think they're too "deep". Cut out the back portion to make the entire flagrun process faster, the image shows where I think the corridors shoud cut in instead of continuing into the annoying back section. And your spawn structure is a bit annoying tbf. Cubbyhole spawns are principally flawed, because the player has only one direction to follow, which means the attacker can just predict them perfectly. I drew a crude variant which still provides a cubbyhole, but also lets the spawning player instantly juke into various directions... consider those, please!

GFy21wH.png

MAP02 "My Triad is Fully Risen" // by Baratus

Another one that's close to catching the eye of the community. The mid is whatever it is, the RL is actually a worthy thing to grab, because you can spam at the flags from the center. I also love the fence in the base and the way GA is tucked just slightly away from the direct way out - you gotta spend a second or two to get it, kind of making you manage your attention, but just ever so slightly. Very nice.

So, what's dragging it down? I think the singular base entry is actually okay, given how wide it is, but the side hallways are very crude. They seem... hand-drawn, they should have that skillsaw/mechadon feel of strict geometry, and they should be properly wide. I also think the circled part in the picture is just too big and empty for the 2v2v2 target, so I'd consider kind of squasing that side of the base.

Minor balance points: I like your item placement, the SSG/SG spawns seem solidly balanced, however the CG spawn might be a bit too cruel for escaping runners.. I'd change that into a SG spawn and put the SG into a separate location as a pickup, not a loadout. Also the medkits by the flag should be just stimpaks (don't spoil the defender) AND the stimpaks on the mid should be turned into one medkit in each part of the triangle.

Fa2NtHB.png

MAP03 "Chronicles of a Father: Diarrhea Disaster" // by Philnemba

Alright, this map is bare, but not hopeless. HOWEVER! It is not symmetric, which is unacceptable! This makes the green base (north) the natural target, because red and blue cannot reach each other that easily - inherent unfairness! The bases really have to be rotated by 120 degrees! Also, it's just way too huge for the targeted playercount. Just shrink the entire thing by 25 or even 33%!

As for the layout itself... make the height differences in the base slightly less prominent, everything is just kind of too huge. The spawns in the elevated cubbyholes... they also should be much lower above the ground AND shaped like the example in map01, because this way people only get to jump out in one direction AND have to fly for a considerable time before regaining control over momvement.

I've also drawn a change to the mid... instakill nukage is abhorrent for DM players, because it intrudes on PvP gameplay with unnecessary environment danger crap. So, I'm not saying get entirely rid of it, but provide a slightly elevated part of the center where it's just highly damaging nukage, not instadeath. And make that part only escapable via small lowered segments, so one cannot just cut the path too short! Also the nukage around the plasma should NOT be instakill, just heavily damaging!

aNwk1xS.png

MAP04 "Stussy Complex" // by Gothic

Okay, this map has significant issues from the CTF perspective. Its main flaw is how absolutely brutal the flag-to-flag run is. It is entirely linear and you have to go through all of the enemy territory, which ensures that a flagrun will never happen in a serious game. You always need more attack routes in Doom CTF and any chokepoints must be justified, but in this the entire base is one massive chokepoint.

So... cut out a big chunk of the mid in front of the bases. It's pointless, so kill it and let the bases connect directly to the center. Add a whole new WIDE door to enter the base near the front stairs. Make the door SR action so players can't jerk it around infinitely. Remove the back door and add another access staircase... the long S-shaped route in the base must be broken up in interesting ways, otherwise the map is defensive hell!

Also move the flag in a prominent spot instead of a cubbyhole, you want people to grab it and bolt. And finally, the spawns should be diversified. Throw more of them around the base (even outside by the side entrance) and put weapons on them, absolutely no pistol spawns allowed here! As for the now empty cubbyhole - try placing a blue armor in there. This should hopefully lead to runners grabbing the BA as a vital powerup for penetrating the cruel enemy bases.

SWSboPm.png

MAP05 "Cuisine Conflict" // by Worst

No screenshot for you, worst. I love this map and honestly, I'm not feeling like messing with its balance at all. The one game on it wasn't enough to call out slight item placement issues and it was a ton of fun in its current state. Love the awkward way you can jump on the flagstand, heh. Just one thing bothered me: the map is very colourful and kiiiinda confuses you. Could you spam more colour markers/stripes on all the mid structures for easier navigation?

MAP06 "This map doesn't deserve a funny name" // by Gothic

The map is waaaay too big. Scale it down to half the size, not even kidding. The outer circle is a goddamn hiking trip! Just keep the width of the alt route tunnels (those need to be shorter) and the entry slope. Kill the entrance door, it's too easy to abuse, and make the entrance wider. The slope could potentially be V-shaped, going wider at the bottom for easier approach.

Now... the map is just too fragmented, the outer trip takes you out of the action for too long. I propose destroying those walls and being able to jump off the cliff nearly anywhere. That way there's more line of sight and more fighting and not just random jousts in the hallways + flagroom massacre. Make the heights slightly less prominent, so it's not so scarily vertical. Add a massive half-circular staircase where you're supposed to jump down from the base, the lifts are fine for the sneaky B-route, but there should be a fast, easily accessible A-route into the base. People skirmish on the lifts too much and arrive into the bases half-dead. The flagroom itself isn't bad, but the flag is too deep into that alcove, it should be right above the final stairs so it's less of a deathtrap for runners.

As for item placement... shuffle the spawns a bit, put at least one into the flagroom... and put weapons on the spawns themselves! Players should get the SGs and SSGs as direct loadouts without having to fetch them from a common spot while someone's stealing their flag. As for the PG... maybe put it on a pillar that's possible to call down? The direct pickup was really annoying as people just spammed PG all the time. Oh and remove all of the cells, that's just way too generous for said spammers, heh.

rJWDOhJ.png

MAP07 "Snowed In Town" // by Misty & joe-ilya

Okay, I like the "octopus" part of the bases, but then there's the cavernous part that's 100% excessive and makes the map way, way too large and mazey. So kill all of those caverns, keep just the mid and the bases. I think you can still connect everything nicely - and you can have a fun route there if you connect the side tentacles to the one-way pits on the mid and then raise the stairs and create ANOTHER vertical drop from the outer tentacle into the inner tentacle. That effectively means the route would only be usable for going in, but not out of a base. Good gimmick with the alternative access to the flag via the super-slow lift, that's p great and leads to some tense moments.

As for placement... I'd say put another RL somewhere in the lower part of the base for runners who'd otherwise have to climb to their own flag or poach it in the enemy base. This map is ripe for some rocket jumping, so give them that chance! The GAs should be enough as a support item and they're already placed well for attackers if the new route I proposed is implemented. I'm not too sold on the plasma, a central soulsphere might serve better, but I don't feel strongly about that. However that central gazebo should have just pillars in the corners, not two solid walls - it's asymetrical and bad for the green base, heh.

yb6q6em.png

Edited by dew

Breaking into new post.

MAP08 "King of the Congo" // by DJVCardMaster

Alrighty, this one doesn't need a screenshot either. Everyone really liked the map, but when I played it we murdered it with like 6v6v6 and absolutely senseless slaughter, heh. I think this will play nicely in 2v2v2, the dimensions seem fine. I particularly enjoyed being able to jump out of the upper room window. One issue of bother is something you can't fix: the plutonia entrances are vertically bumpy, which is always annoying in Doom, but you'd be ruining the homage, heh. Maybe consider making the thresholds lower so it's less of a bumpy ride. Also screw faithfulness in the upper room and remove the door to the GA alcove. The flagger should not be able to hide there behind a door during standoffs, let 'em taste rockets.

You might also consider smoothing out the geometry of some of the new connecting tunnels you've created. Like, I know this is hell in 3-way with 120 degree rotations, but try to curve some of those hallways a bit more by bisecting the walls into more gradual curvature. You'll get less prominent corners and less annoying wall bumps. The map is actually on the cramped size (unlike everything else so far), so movement comfort is paramount. It will be worth it for sure, I have high hopes for this map! But be sure to replace the central invis with a soulsphere, the former are a big no no in DM unless you have an ingenious idea for them.

Oh and most importantly, I beseech you to use this midi!!!

MAP09 "Best Instagram Nudes" // by Alfred

Some people complained about the green base being yellow, but I don't care. However the mid is kind of a mess. There's nothing in it and it just confuses people, so they only use the side routes. Try to widen the central hallways and break up the walls a bit to enlarge the central spot - and put something worthwhile there. One idea is a soulsphere, but I'm in favour of putting a plasma gun there and removing the PGs in bases, because the map got too spammy with those. Just one PG for everyone to fight over!

I'm a fan of the slightly awkward doublejump to the flag through the center, it's a good skill move that can trip you up easily. Spawns are fine, the one in the dead center of the base is cheeky (very uncommon to put a spawn in such a position), but keep it! The two shell boxes in the outer corners of the base are pointless, try full medkits for some health strategizing. The entrance to the base is way, way, way too cramped, the outside pillars should get removed, but keep the central one to break up possible long range spam. I'd also add a GA into every base for some intentional stack imbalance and team strategizing.

Uocxu9X.png

MAP10 "Twisty Business" // by Xaser

Consensus was that people adore the layout, movement is fast & slick with no unnecessary blockage. We kinda overcrowded the map by playing at least 4 per team, but it seems good for the targeted 2v2v2. My gripe is with the general thing placement, which could use some refining. First of all, the base PGs are a bad idea that lend to some nasty spam by the defender, particularly down the lower entrance.

Other than that, it's mostly just reshuffling because I think it might work better that way. RL should be more accessible for runners (so, right outside of base), center should draw more attention with a sphere bonus. An armor in the base might be a nice strategic boost. A 4th spawn just to be on the safe side would be good. Just get rid of the PG and all cells (small map, doesn't need the spam), instead try to place a few healtpaks around the base, imo. Just gut feel and traditions on the balance issues. Upper echelon map for sure!

yLkhoCx.png

MAP11 "MMFRGB" // by Alfred

This map's biggest problem is the wasted mid... it's almost completely useless and unused with everyone exclusively running through the side routes. I suggest connecting the routes to the mid instead for a central clusterfuck of fragging instead. Also that larger cliff inside of the base is just too blocking and escaping runners disappear behind it too fast, there should be more open space on that side imo.

Other issues are relatively minor in comparison: the CG is trash in a mazey map like this, so just make it a RL and stick it in one of the side "alcoves" instead straight in the middle of the road. Because RL is more fun. BA in the center should be a nice incentive to properly attract players there, move the health around the map: perhaps a medkit or two in the bases and a stimpak or two around the corners of the mid and on the side paths. Last issue is that the jumpdown spawns should be very "shallow" and shouldn't make anyone thinking rjump up there and camp.

RDhOrMJ.png

MAP12 "Leftover Birthday Caek" // by Marcaek

Aight, this map was a lot of fun, perhaps more suited towards like 3v3v3 or maybe even one more, but 2pl should still be fine. The layout is strong, the base shape and the thing bridge are awesome. I'd say just the central stairway needs improving... I hate how sharply it cuts into the mid, I'd like a more DM-ish shape that lets you to jump on it from the sides, at least partially. Basically, the half-circle shape used ingeniously, I'll leave the execution details to you have fun! One of the inside staircases could possibly use a bit of the rounding as well, but that's optional. I'm also not entirely convinced about the hallway connecting perpendicularly into the dark hallway, but it doesn't hurt anything.. it's just a bit extra. Other than that, just kill that one medkit imo. The rest seems p well thought out, BA on mid is a proper power move!

nzPbbRy.png

Edited by dew

Sorry for the excessive delays, something came up and I had to prioritize.

MAP13 "infernew mapping burnout-ville" // by bonnie

Everyone's first reaction was: the BFG is too much. It just became a ton of BFG/PG spam, so I'd recommend axing the big gun and moving the PGs to the central lava pits, so they're only available for attackers taking the tunnel route. Put a BA in the center, that's a good powerup to fight over - and it might help with some rocketjumping possibilities in the map (replace the PGs in bases with RLs, RL is the skill weapon and shouldn't be overlooked). Also get rid of the effect where stepping on the flagstand lowers the central platform, that serves very little purpose in a team-based mode. Lowering it for your teammates would require voice chat and it's more likely that it just moves up and down at random as runners trigger it during flag steals.

Now for some structural changes: the tunnel route is a little awkward, the way it goes into the back of the base makes it too long and no one took it. I'd shorten it and slightly pimp up the shape/direction so it's more appealing to the cosmic sense of elegance and not just a long rectangle, haha. Just sacrifice that SSG corner of the base for it, that one's kind of an empty unused space anyway (move t. Also you can cut off two of the top stairs on the middle staircases - everyone uses jumping in CTF, so you don't need to make them that high (they kinda annoyingly obscure vision over mid, but I wouldn't remove them entirely, they give the mid some character).

Minor balancing: move the chaingun spawn to the farther side of the base and make it another SG spawn (CG is actually a really cruel and annoying loadout for flagrunners), also the upper spawn by the flag should probably be SG only to give runners more breathing space. I think the fence in the flagroom should go and people should be able to jump off (or rjump up). It will help interconnectivity, the flagroom is too deadend-ish like this and that's always a worry in CTF. The map is solid, particularly the bases are pleasing layout-wise, but these small transgressions drag it away from also playing well.

PGnLUOY.png

MAP14 "Yoo Hoo Wrecking Crew" // by Mechadon

This map is crazy, the layout is inventive and I love everything about it. I dunno if it will work in competitive environment, but who cares, I hugely enjoyed the test game. I can't even think of ways to improve it, haha. Maybe the spawns are placed a bit too symmetrically and you could toss them around a little (and possibly even remove one, 6 may not be necessary). And add some health to the mostly empty middle sections? And oh, of course, block off the dark dead-end shafts in the bases, probably make the sectors too short to access after the first or second "section", you don't want flaggers go hiding into them.

MAP15 "Butt Scratcher Deluxe" // by Mechadon

People disliked how claustrophobic, spammy and on the rails this map feels... the ports are too fast a route, the center is too spammy, the other route is too long and separated from everything else. I put all the important info in the pic, but the idea is to make the route C fully available even for entering the base, allow more open action in the flagroom so everything feels more interconnected and not walled off, and slow down the port route! I think this would help quite a lot to make people feel less lost and not in control of where they're going and what they want to do. Bonus idea: a lift from the main route to the attic hallway leading to the teleporters for even more interconnection. I'll leave the item placement as is, because it's the layout work that matters here.

4w8qs9z.png

MAP16 "Swirlytron" // by Mechadon

Okay this map is on the jokey side, so I won't discuss its balance or usefulness for competition too deeply, heh. But let's see how to improve it. The spawns are too stacked inside the flagroom and it's a huge pain to steal the flag like this. Spread them around outside and leave just one in there. Also move that one away from the RL-operating switch, random surprise spawn blocks are not helpful for fast action. Also that flag cockblock switch? It should also be on the outer side of the base, in the back preferably. It's basically useless inside like this.

MAP18 "So Close, Yet..." // by Shadow Hog

Okay, this map feels a bit too... walled up. That plus the verticality combine to a weird, slow flow, so here, let's see the pic first:

IoauXS3.png

Basically the buildings should have windows for more interconnection with the center and less room-hallway-room feel. I guess keep the outside B route as is, because it being a precarious cliff climb is the point, however the concrete ledges leading to the flagroom should be wider, the slopes should raise more gradually if space enables it, and the entrances connecting the bases should be much wider so people don't necessarily bump into each other there but genuinely have to decide whether to engage or ignore each other.

Also you don't need this many spawns, I don't even know how many there are, but like 5 or 6 should be perfectly fine. Get rid of all cell ammo, it's not necessary between a BFG and a PG on the map. And as a matter of minor balancing, the "central" SGs should be CGs (SGs are kind of mehh to be that prominently advertised) and where the CG currently is, put a GA. The map could use some of that.

Edited by dew

Here is what I have so far... the remaining maps will be coming in a new post.

MAP01

I agree with dew's assessment that the back portion should be cut out. It's really just a trap for the flagrunner and gives
the defender advantages they don't need. The mid should definitely be made more difficult.. the way it is currently makes
it really easy for a runner to get across by essentially ignoring the true middle and using the pit/staircases to make a
run for it. Maybe the distances between them should be spread out to the point where unless you make a perfect jump you'll
fall, because it gives any defenders or flaghunters a chance to make a move on the runner.

MAP02

The side hallways need to go. With the mid being as small as it is, the amount of time it will take to get across it is

very short. The side hallways make it way too easy for a runner to get out and into their own base. Stimpaks instead of
medkits for sure - it's rare to have a 3-way standoff so we shouldn't be giving out too much help.

MAP03

I would argue that the middle should be changed to not allow for jumping across the park that has nukage. Maybe put up a
fence you can see and shoot through, but to me it just gives the opportunity for the flagrunner to make a 2 second run
through the mid. If you consider how proficient players are with rocketjumping these days, I can see this turning into some
form of rjspace.. the bases are already large enough to allow for some trickery, the middle should counter that.

MAP04

This map is a bit of a mess, but I'd go with dew's suggestion about killing a portion of the mid and shortening up the area
leading up to the main entryway. Additionally, I think a second entrance is needed. Make the main door where dew suggested,
but add a second one where the original door is but have it lead to an elevated part of the base, closer to the level of
the flag (via dew's drawing, make his stair suggestion OUTSIDE and have a door inserted). I think it is essential for this
map to have that second way out, otherwise it just becomes a bottleneck. 

MAP05

Love this one. Great gameplay that is benefitted by the very unique flagstands, which I think were important considering
the more "wide open" approach taken on this map.

MAP06

It actually took me about 5 minutes to realize that the platform that goes down leads to the other bases, and that's
because the tunnels surrounding the map were deathtraps. I couldn't make it to any of the other bases due to the hordes of
people firing plasma and running through. The tunnels absolutely need more vision, so go with dew's suggestion to knock
down the walls because otherwise it's just a mess. I would argue that the flag is fine being that deep in the alcove, but
that it shouldn't be up a staircase.. make it the same level as the room so it gives the defender a chance due to having
two exits for the runners. 

MAP07

100% agree with dew about killing the caverns - that's way too easy for someone to get base to base. Every flag that I
scored on that map I was able to run through the caverns unscathed. They gotta go. Push the bases up to meet the mid and I
think it's actually a solid layout. Really unique idea to have the flag (mostly) only accessible from dropping down on top
of it. I'd maybe raise it just a little higher (and the platform behind it) to prevent really easy rocket jumping. Rocket
jumping in itself is fine but it breaks the intent of the map pretty badly. I'd also add a rocket launcher and perhaps a
chaingun to the bottom portion of the base, considering how big it is and how far behind you can get caught sometimes. 

MAP08

Not much bad to say about this one.. I expected to hate it but the tunnels and window jumping make for some amazing and
quick gameplay quirks that I love. It really spreads everything out. I am still unsure about having invisibility in a CTF
map.. something tells me it wouldn't go over well. Conversely I think a soulsphere or a megasphere would be too much. My
suggestion is a blue armor OR if you want to get really creative, follow Worst's lead and throw a berserk in there. "Close
quarters and dark tunnel fisting" - The new name for this map or an unwanted porno? Find out next week.

MAP09

The mid is a bit bland and underused and I have a cruel way to fix it. The side pathways that go from base to base.. keep
them, except you should put a wall in between that filters everyone out into the mid. It makes getting out of the base a
little more difficult but at the same time, the map is so fast-paced that you'd be flying through the middle anyway. Follow
dew's suggestion to widen it, but I think if you force everyone to the middle no matter what path they take, it'll make for
some interesting gameplay. 

MAP10

A layout that would only ever work in 3-way CTF. I have no complaints about this, love it. I'd be interested in seeing a
chaingun placed somewhere in the middle, maybe in place of one of the energy shells.

MAP11

Another situation where I'd take the side tunnels and filter it out to the middle. It can't be understated that 3-way CTF
in itself is pure chaos with a constant struggle to maintain control, and giving teams the ability to fly through the map
without running into another player is a gameplay no-no. I would replace the medkits in the middle with stimpaks, and call
it a day. The map simply isn't big enough to warrant picking up full health like that in the middle. So maybe 6 stimpaks.

MAP12

I would possibly extend the bridge as it leads out into the middle.. I think it's a little too short and sweet for scoring.
If you extend it you can give someone a better chance at taking one last shot at a flag runner as they run into the base.
Additionally it's pretty easy to grab the flag and make one giant leap to the staircase of another base.. so maybe also
extend the wall at the end of the bridge to make it a tad bit more difficult... essentially, instead of being able to look
at the bottom of another bases staircase from the ledge, you should have to go around the lanterns sitting on the extended
wall.

MAP13

This is a tough one.. for the bases I would axe the spot where the flags are, it's just a campers dream and a runners
nightmare at the moment. I'd extend the remaining portion of the back hallway and make it go a little deeper and place the
flag there. The entrance on the right side coming in to the flag area with the plasma should be pushed back closer to the
entrance of the base, to allow for more time for both a flag runner and a defender to adapt in respective situations. I
like the tunnels.. is there a way out or just a way in? If I'm missing something and there is I apologize, but if not I'd
make it so you could escape into the middle somehow by exiting the base through the tunnels. This map is geared towards
fast runners and that would prolong them scoring a little bit and sort of even the gameplay.

MAP14

I am absolutely IN LOVE with this layout. I think it's an underused idea when it comes to CTF to have the flags mirror each
other and so close but you have to take a roundabout way to go between them. I wouldn't change a damn thing about it. Well
done!

MAP15

So this is a totally new type of layout and I dig it. The only thing I don't dig though are the teleporters.. If we're
going to go through the trouble of having sneaky hallways that lead out to the middle, there should not be teleporters that
lead directly into the back of each base. I'd change it so that the teleporters actually take you to the middle of the map
like all the other routes. That way you can still reach the back of the base by using them in the middle, but they don't
allow you to bypass what is an otherwise extremely inventive layout that has real potential.

MAP16

As a fun joke map, I can't really say anything about this. Give me a few glasses of wine and I'd play this map 100 times
and it would be hilarious. Sober HumanBones would get angry.

MAP18

Fascinating layout. Another use of the mirrored flags, which I enjoy. I'd get rid of the spot for the BFG.. I know it's
damn near impossible to get out of that spot alive, but I think it's bad to have a place like that where someone could sit
with a flag forever and not be found. I'd make a few changes to the layout, starting with removing the outside passages
between bases entirely. On any other map I'd say two ways into each colors base is a necessity, but this is sort of a large
circle and there are still two ways out of each base so it should be fine. To that end, I would mirror the bases, so that
the room with the spawns that should no longer have the plasma passage or the other back passage essentially becomes just a
spawn room with two entrances on both sides.

MAP19

The middle needs something, because right now it reminds me of ZDCTF06 and total mayhem. I would spread the bases out a
little more to create some wider hallways between the bases. I don't see anyone scoring a flag the way it is currently.
What might be good as well is to add a second hallway to the back of the base with a teleporter.. one way in and out makes
it susceptible to camping defenders and adding a second method in will force them to pay some attention to it, giving the
runners a chance to grab the flag. I'd say add the teleports somewhere in the middle, just one to go into each base. 

MAP19 "The Dipshit Factory" // by TMD

Echoing what Bones had to say, the mid is just too much of a Death Star trench run. The map itself is simple enough to work, the grated bases are cool and I don't particularly like the teleport suggestion (they're always a bit of a clumsy solution in mp maps), so here goes my Radical Solution:

ijAPv6l.png

This way the mid instantly expands, which is good (stick something in the dead center, perhaps soulsphere?), but the fence/grate would be the fake route B - if the runner dies with their back pressed to the fence, another player can quickly grab the dropped flag from the other side! That's it, my whole solution to this map's issues. It's so small and simple that I think this could be all it needs. Oh and add rocket launchers in the bases too, in case someone wants to speed up the whole dropping the flag thing for themselves.

MAP20 "Kevlar Sombrero " // by TMD

Another extremely simple fix from me. This is the first map ever that has too much interconnections and needs to be walled up a bit - the first time I say that in a 32in24 at least. I drew what should be cut, that room is just a filler for the map's full carousel shape, but since that carousel effect was extremely confusing and people hated how chaotic the map was, just block those connections off, kill the room and force people to go through mid like proper ctf players, haha. I'd say use a BA or a sphere on the middle and mirror zerks somewhere in bases.

3Wxb35w.png

MAP21 "Hardon Collider " // by Joshy

Sorry Josh, but we'll have to destroy your collider haha. That outside circle is absolutely freaking huge and unusable for gameplay purposes. Even without it, the map is still massive and you gotta take scissors to it. Cut outer parts of the mid, rotate the stairs so they're directly hugging the trench - the V-shaped space between the two parts is pointless, also kill off the wall that blocks off the stairs, it needs that visibility for tracking opponents.

Place stuff on the map and we'll talk more. (I forgot to load resources for taking the pic, sorry for that.)

8L1hn3a.png

MAP22 "Triple side of Guac" // by TMD & Marcaek

I didn't get to play this one because the spawns were bugged for one team, but this is a well known map layout which should work. I echo Bones that this should be plenty fine to ship if it's debugged. Additionally to what he says, I'd say the spawns directly on mid are too much - it becomes a huge RNG toss whether a runner doesn't get a respawning defender far in the mid, which is inherently unfair. The farthest spawn should be the chaingun one - and it shouldn't be a chaingun, because again... if you're chasing a runner and spawn there, woah that's a weapon too good to have for a defender. A chaingun spawn inside base could work, but this should be SG or SSG. Otherwise... we'll see how it works.

Edited by dew

MAP20

Another case of having an unused middle. I don't see the point in ever NOT using that route with the side passages that lead you in a big circle from flag to flag. I would keep it the way it is except I'd get rid of that room with the giant block and the armor that has a much too easy connection to another base. That way, runners are once again pushed to use the middle when escaping which makes gameplay fair and even. 

MAP22

One of my favorites. Not much that is negative to say about this. I'd argue against having the sphere in the middle. Make it a green armor, maybe. A sphere on a map with this kind of fast pace seems a bit overpowering.

MAP23

Well there isn't too much you can do with this one. I like the concept, although I'm not sure if it would do well in a competitive setting. It would be far too easy for a defender to camp the teleports, but I may just have PTSD from years of Generic Gray. What might make for something chaotic would be to have each teleporter take you to a "purgatory" room where you get a chance to meet up with everyone going through the teleporters. In both situations, I would also make it so that when you come through the other side of every teleporter, you have to walk forward and drop down before just appearing in front of someone camping. That could lessen the blow significantly.

MAP24

I like the bases but the obvious issue here is having the flag inside a room with a door. Remove the door and make the area a little wider and you can keep the rocket launchers, because there are technically three ways into each base. Unfortunately you can't expect anyone to enjoy a map where someone can sit inside a room with a flag and just blast rockets anytime the door opens. Make those changes and this would be a really solid layout, nothing too fancy and sometimes that's exactly what you need.

MAP25

Well the back hallways have been made useless with the way this is set up. Allowing for such close traveling between flag rooms cancels out the rest of the map. Make walls in the main circle that block such easy access to each base, and make it so you have to go through the backs of the map to score. Remove the random area with the rocket launcher as well. It would obviously have to be changed so the back hallways filter out into the bases with the walls as well. The bases themselves are not ideal, but one thing it has going for it is it's hard to run AND defend. Really just about who lands the best shot.

MAP26

I like it, it's a bit heavy on the walls though. I would make it so that, let's say you are on Red and you grab the Blue flag, but you go in the opposite direction into

Green base.. you should be able to run through Green and into the portal back to Red more easily. In order for that to happen, I would knock down all the walls that separate the portals from being seen between each other. They should all be within the direct line of vision of each other. I'd also create a little window in the walls on both sides leading to the flag to be able to see someone coming in on either side as you are sitting on top of the flag. It's super hard to defend otherwise.

MAP29

This one has a lot of potential. I already spoke with Marcaek and dew about this, so we're gonna give this a shot; eliminating the area to the right of the entrance to the tunnel when leaving the base on the right hand side.. which should make it so someone can't score the flag in 2.5 seconds. That means if players want to get to the enemy base going that direction, they'll have to follow through the tunnel or jump over the trench to the left. I can see this being a great map if we can find the right balance in the middle.

MAP30

Already a big improvement over the last time I saw the map. Obviously we still need to do something about the middle. The BFG needs to go. I'd replace it with a plasma because I can see it being useful on this map and not overpowering. Maybe a few more structures too that will impede the runners progress, especially if they make the jump from the flag to the mid platform. 

MAP31

I think I told someone I'd pay them to make this map, so I guess I'm getting some blank checks this weekend. I absolutely love this map as traditional CTF. The gameplay emobodies everything that is great about 3-way CTF, so to see a version of this is amazing. I am so very happy.

MAP32

An interesting take on an overplayed and broken map. One thing I'd do is find some way (still) to prevent the camping inside the teleporter room. I know it's not likely to happen as much in 3-way CTF, but the possibility still exists. Otherwise it's just same old same old. Perhaps a switch on the other side of the lift so you can enter in that way? Wouldn't be viable in traditional setting, but I think it could work well here.

A couple of notes on MAP20, since they stuck out during the playtest session and haven't been mentioned yet:

• That greenish-grey metallic texture that's used all over made me always think I was in the Green base. That might need some swapping out.
  • There's two green flags and no blue flag. Whoops. :P

MAP23 "Telethon Triumvirate" // by Shaikoten

A thing that would elevate the map immensely would be to change the teleporter cubbyholes into wide gate-like portals using something like Boom's action 244 (silent teleport to a line of same tag, keep angle). That action doesn't freeze the player, so they can jump out at the other side in full speed and at an angle. That limits camp/spam considerably, because you can immediately escape sideways. Other than that, add a fourth spawn and remove cell ammo and it should be reasonably playable in public events.

MAP24 "Resonance" // by Juza

Agreed with bones, the flagroom is fantastically bad, haha. The door must go and the entrance should be wider. My other complaint would be the side hallways - they're a good from the layout perspective, but the arches cut into the movement corridor too much and players end up getting caught on them while trying to fight in this tiny wild map. So if you don't want to sacrifice them altogether (or fully insert them into the walls), just make them less prominent. Oh and the central gazebo isn't symmetric, you could make it a triangle shape reversed to that of the entire map. I'm strangely fine with the plasmas, even though I'd originally suspect them to be a ticket to spam hell, heh.

You should also add a third spawn and move the existing ones slightly more to the corners of those hallways - and move the SSGs directly on top of them, this "slightly out of reach" stuff is an unnecessary diversion in a map with frenetic pacing. Oh and throw a green armor in every base in some nice prominent central spot.