Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DoomKid423

I'm looking for a tower of babel remake map

I'm looking for a tower of babel remake map where it turns the tower of babel into a real tower where we climb up stairs to reach different floors and make our up to the top to fight the cyberdemon. I've tried some of them like uberskunk's version glaice's ultra tower. But, I was kinda disappointed by both of them cause in uberskunk's tower of babel map, the top of the tower is too small. And Glaice's ultratower, the top of the tower was also a big disappointment. Because it was inside a small room rather than like a top of the tower. I know for sure that The Shores of ZDoom may not even be finished. So, please recommend me some ToB Remake maps which turn it into a literal tower.

3 hours ago, DoomKid423 said:

I'm looking for a tower of babel remake map where it turns the tower of babel into a real tower where we climb up stairs to reach different floors and make our up to the top to fight the cyberdemon. I've tried some of them like uberskunk's version glaice's ultra tower. But, I was kinda disappointed by both of them cause in uberskunk's tower of babel map, the top of the tower is too small. And Glaice's ultratower, the top of the tower was also a big disappointment. Because it was inside a small room rather than like a top of the tower. I know for sure that The Shores of ZDoom may not even be finished. So, please recommend me some ToB Remake maps which turn it into a literal tower.

In my old work, which I sometimes redo, there is such a map.

Screenshot_Doom_20190120_194551.png

2 hours ago, Serious_MOod said:

In my old work, which I sometimes redo, there is such a map.

If you still have the link, please send it.

as I recall, Graytale did a tower map for his 'Darkhell.wad' (Doom I) of course you would have a minimum of 7 other maps to play through to reach it :).

Rex

On 1/21/2019 at 11:54 AM, Rex R said:

as I recall, Graytale did a tower map for his 'Darkhell.wad' (Doom I) of course you would have a minimum of 7 other maps to play through to reach it :).

Rex

Good map. But, again, it was just like the ultratower wad. It started out as a good tower. But in the end, all we were in was a stupid room.

Or, if someone was able to make a tower of babel map where we climb to the top and the top is the same one to that of the original, it would be more than satisfying.

Note: I even count the duration of time it takes to climb the tower. If it takes a long time (like ultratower), then I will like it.

On 1/23/2019 at 9:32 PM, Aquila Chrysaetos said:

It does, in a way. Spawning Vats is the tower in question, and Tower of Babel takes place on top of it.

Sorry but that map doesn't look like a tower at all. It looks more like the top of a building.

I've just started work on a proper Tower of Babel for you. I do not know if my tower will exceed zdoom limits (I don't know what they are) but I've made my tower 6000x6000 units and will be seriously tall. Like seriously tall. Is it possible to have it be roughly 18,000 units tall without zdoom crashing? If I stand at the ground and look up to the top of the tower (18,000 units up) is this going to crash zdoom?

The top of the tower will be over 3000x3000 so there will be *plenty* of room to spam rockets and run around a giant spire at the top of the tower or whatever I decide to build at the top of the tower. This tower will be legit.

Well, that's going to be too big. Will have to scale it down a bit!

Edited by Hellbent

5 hours ago, Hellbent said:

I've just started work on a proper Tower of Babel for you. I do not know if my tower will exceed zdoom limits (I don't know what they are) but I've made my tower 6000x6000 units and will be seriously tall. Like seriously tall. Is it possible to have it be roughly 18,000 units tall without zdoom crashing? If I stand at the ground and look up to the top of the tower (18,000 units up) is this going to crash zdoom?

The top of the tower will be over 3000x3000 so there will be *plenty* of room to spam rockets and run around a giant spire at the top of the tower or whatever I decide to build at the top of the tower. This tower will be legit.

Well, that's going to be too big. Will have to scale it down a bit!

Thanks! I'd do it myself, but the doom engine level designing is a bit too complicated for me. Also, be sure to upload it to the public. It shouldn't only be from me but for the whole modding community.

I made a version of an E2M8 once where you start below the tower and fight a huge battle below before going to the top, but you don't actually climb it. I would upload it but my PC is FUBAR at the moment.

Starting back in 1995 I used Deu, then Deep97, then DeepSea which were early, powerful Doom Editor Programs. And all I can say is, wow, Doom Builder 2 is SO FRICKIN' EASY AND SMOOTH to use! So much easier than the ones I used before it. You should really try to learn it. Basically, the biggest thing to learn is what sectors are and how they behave. 

When you draw your first room in Doom Builder 2, the lines you draw make up what's called a sector; this process is done automatically by the simple act of drawing the room. This is basically a room. It has walls, floor and ceiling. You can then set the height of the room. You can make it really tall or only high enough to fit the marine. After you make your first room, you'll want to make a hallway or another room connected to it. Just draw another room or hallway so that the new sector (ie. room or hallway) is touching and "sharing" one of the lines (or part of a line; it doesn't have to share the entire line). That's really all there is to know. And one other thing directly related:

The lines you draw to make up the sectors are called Linedefs. Linedefs are just a fancy name for the lines you draw to make the sectors (ie. the rooms and hallways). When you have two rooms connect to each other, then the linedef that shares the two sectors (thus connecting the two rooms) will have two sides to it (these are called the sidedefs of the linedef). Sector references are numbers that are on each sidedef that make up the sectors. You actually don't really need to even know about sector references since Doom Builder 2 does such a seamless job of creating sectors. I have never experienced it make bad sectors (which DeepSea and the other programs used to do to me all the time!)

The last thing that you need to learn is linedef types; but they are super straightforward and easy to learn. A linedef type simply causes a sector to do something. Like, if you have a sector with a ceiling that is down on the floor and you put a linedef type 1 (open door) on either side of the sector where the door textures will be, then the ceiling will rise and the sector will now be a bonafide door!

All rooms, doors, lifts, hallways, pits, crush ceilings, stairs and teleporters are sectors. So all you're doing in Doom Builder 2 is creating sectors, giving them floor and ceiling heights, and textures. and linedef types where needed. If it's overwhelming to you, then you'll probably want to start out small and just build really simple stuff like rooms connected by hallways. But that doesn't mean you can't make really cool things that are super simple. Some of the best deathmatch levels are really simple designs and don't have any doors or lifts or anything fancy. In fact, complicated structures generally do not suit deathmatch play.

I strongly encourage you to give it another try!

16 hours ago, Hellbent said:

Starting back in 1995 I used Deu, then Deep97, then DeepSea which were early, powerful Doom Editor Programs. And all I can say is, wow, Doom Builder 2 is SO FRICKIN' EASY AND SMOOTH to use! So much easier than the ones I used before it. You should really try to learn it. Basically, the biggest thing to learn is what sectors are and how they behave. 

When you draw your first room in Doom Builder 2, the lines you draw make up what's called a sector; this process is done automatically by the simple act of drawing the room. This is basically a room. It has walls, floor and ceiling. You can then set the height of the room. You can make it really tall or only high enough to fit the marine. After you make your first room, you'll want to make a hallway or another room connected to it. Just draw another room or hallway so that the new sector (ie. room or hallway) is touching and "sharing" one of the lines (or part of a line; it doesn't have to share the entire line). That's really all there is to know. And one other thing directly related:

The lines you draw to make up the sectors are called Linedefs. Linedefs are just a fancy name for the lines you draw to make the sectors (ie. the rooms and hallways). When you have two rooms connect to each other, then the linedef that shares the two sectors (thus connecting the two rooms) will have two sides to it (these are called the sidedefs of the linedef). Sector references are numbers that are on each sidedef that make up the sectors. You actually don't really need to even know about sector references since Doom Builder 2 does such a seamless job of creating sectors. I have never experienced it make bad sectors (which DeepSea and the other programs used to do to me all the time!)

The last thing that you need to learn is linedef types; but they are super straightforward and easy to learn. A linedef type simply causes a sector to do something. Like, if you have a sector with a ceiling that is down on the floor and you put a linedef type 1 (open door) on either side of the sector where the door textures will be, then the ceiling will rise and the sector will now be a bonafide door!

All rooms, doors, lifts, hallways, pits, crush ceilings, stairs and teleporters are sectors. So all you're doing in Doom Builder 2 is creating sectors, giving them floor and ceiling heights, and textures. and linedef types where needed. If it's overwhelming to you, then you'll probably want to start out small and just build really simple stuff like rooms connected by hallways. But that doesn't mean you can't make really cool things that are super simple. Some of the best deathmatch levels are really simple designs and don't have any doors or lifts or anything fancy. In fact, complicated structures generally do not suit deathmatch play.

I strongly encourage you to give it another try!

Thanks for the tutorial! I appreciate it. I guess I'll give it another try.

Yeah, but I find I need to take longish breaks between editing sessions. I'll try to work on it some more today! It's quite the massive tower so far.

On 2/7/2019 at 2:24 PM, Hellbent said:

Yeah, but I find I need to take longish breaks between editing sessions. I'll try to work on it some more today! It's quite the massive tower so far.

Thanks. I appreciate your work. I really do. Will you upload it to the public or just me?

Work on the tower is going well. I'm more or less pleased with the overall execution of the tower given the challenges of building a giant tower in a game that doesn't allow floor over floor. I'd say I'm only about 1/3 done, but it's a strong start which bodes well for the rest of the work. 

I will probably upload it to the public, but I certainly can send it to you first, before I upload it to the public. ;)

Nice... Oh and by the way. To the people who are new to this post, don't think I'm only waiting for hellbent to finish his map. If you have some good tower of babel climb up to the top maps, I will be sure to try it. And then I will tell whether I like it or not.

On 1/27/2019 at 2:03 PM, Nevander said:

I made a version of an E2M8 once where you start below the tower and fight a huge battle below before going to the top, but you don't actually climb it. I would upload it but my PC is FUBAR at the moment.

Lol sorry man. I'll pray for your pc lol.

Just wait for Ultimate Doom In Name Only to come out; there'll be a Tower of Babel map for sure. 

2 hours ago, Poncho1 said:

Just wait for Ultimate Doom In Name Only to come out; there'll be a Tower of Babel map for sure. 

Oh? What's that?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/zyau8oap4j6h866/UDINO-E2M8.wad?dl=1

I just downloaded it and played it. Man, has to be one of the better boss maps I've played. I actually didn't reach the boss, but that is a very cool/fun map! Name isn't quite accurate, though. Should be called Towers of Babel, as there are many towers on the level. I didn't climb any towers, though, (teleporters are used) and looking at the map it looks like you also teleport to the top of the final tower to fight the Cyberdemon (but, again, I didn't quite get that far so I'm not 100% sure on that). 

At any rate, very cool map! I think John Romero would like this map very much. 

Edited by Hellbent

36 minutes ago, Hellbent said:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/zyau8oap4j6h866/UDINO-E2M8.wad?dl=1

I just downloaded it and played it. Man, has to be one of the better boss maps I've played. I actually didn't reach the boss, but that is a very cool/fun map! Name isn't quite accurate, though. Should be called Towers[i/i] of Babel, as there are many towers on the level. I didn't climb any towers, though, (teleporters are used) and looking at the map it looks like you also teleport to the top of the final tower to fight the Cyberdemon (but, again, I didn't quite get that far so I'm not 100% sure on that). 

At any rate, very cool map! I think John Romero would like this map very much. 

Nice one... Who ever did it. I liked it too. I saw this on one post. Thinking it would be a great map to play. He said it wasn't out yet, but hey! It is! The top of the tower was great. But it was a little bit small for my liking. I'd like to think of it as a big arena battle ground. I'd give a it a solid 9/10.

On 2/12/2019 at 8:27 PM, Hellbent said:

Work on the tower is going well. I'm more or less pleased with the overall execution of the tower given the challenges of building a giant tower in a game that doesn't allow floor over floor. I'd say I'm only about 1/3 done, but it's a strong start which bodes well for the rest of the work. 

I will probably upload it to the public, but I certainly can send it to you first, before I upload it to the public. ;)

REALLY sorry for disturbing you again but which part of the tower is completed? The top where fight HIM or the bottom where we start and look up to see the tower or the stairs to the top? I just wanna know. You don't need to reply if you don't want to.

I'm 1/3 done building the stairs up to the tower. That's the tedious part, because it's a lot of stairs; and then I have to do it in such a way that it still looks like a tower when you view it from afar, so I'm not using ceilings (all sky), which means I need to build in a railing so you aren't just falling off the tower all the time! And then the other thing I need to do is keep the climb interesting, so that requires some creativity; not just making an endless, repeating spiral staircase.