Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Allstin

Composing custom music for wads/streaming the creation... thoughts?

Recommended Posts

I’ll share my post from Reddit. Also I made a video touching on this for my channel. Is there any interest?

 

“So my YT/Twitch content is about crazy custom challenge runs and high difficulty gameplay, but I’m also a musician, and I wondered... what if I wrote custom music tracks to use in wads? I’m no mapmaker, so that’s where the community would come in. Usually it’s just midi files, which I could write the stuff on guitar and create the rest of the instruments in a program like Guitar Pro. 

 

What does everyone think of this? I’m a metal musician myself and have been playing guitar for 13 years (and some drums), I’ve been using the Guitar Pro midi program for years... maybe it could work, and I could livestream the process on Twitch?

 

Any insight is appreciated. Thanks!”

Share this post


Link to post

I would like to hear your music examples, I'm just curious. 

Share this post


Link to post

the more musicians the merrier :3 i know certain mappers already cull their level soundtracks from the guitarpro scene

Share this post


Link to post
On ‎1‎/‎21‎/‎2019 at 12:47 AM, Allstin said:

I’ll share my post from Reddit. Also I made a video touching on this for my channel. Is there any interest?

 

“So my YT/Twitch content is about crazy custom challenge runs and high difficulty gameplay, but I’m also a musician, and I wondered... what if I wrote custom music tracks to use in wads? I’m no mapmaker, so that’s where the community would come in. Usually it’s just midi files, which I could write the stuff on guitar and create the rest of the instruments in a program like Guitar Pro. 

 

What does everyone think of this? I’m a metal musician myself and have been playing guitar for 13 years (and some drums), I’ve been using the Guitar Pro midi program for years... maybe it could work, and I could livestream the process on Twitch?

 

Any insight is appreciated. Thanks!”

hmmmmmm musician huh? You wouldn't be interested in participating in my speedmusic sessions would you? We have always been pretty low on members so it would be great to get more because that would mean more content :) If youre interested here is a link to the discord https://discord.gg/xNnHHGZ

Also there is going to be a session tomorrow night so you better make your mind up pretty fast since they are only held once a month :)

 

edit: oh yeah also I think that is a great idea, you should totally do that

Share this post


Link to post

good theme for some community project: you're making the music, and other people trying to "catch the spirit" with maps.

Share this post


Link to post
7 minutes ago, ketmar said:

good theme for some community project: you're making the music, and other people trying to "catch the spirit" with maps.

huh I was thinking of the exact same thing just now, it would be sort of like the opposite of the Rebirth midi project where instead of having maps you need to make midis for you have midis you need to make maps for

Share this post


Link to post

Sequencing MIDIs can make for a pretty good stream as long as you can get any fluidity going and work at a good pace. I haven't watched a lot of @Jimmy's on-stream composition, but he's more than familiar enough with the process that it passes the mark for base entertainment value. You say you have plenty of experience, so go for it!

 

I have proven myself disastrous as a streamer for this sort of thing, and that's only partly because I have to hand-craft everything in the software. On or off the air, I take many hours to create just 1 minute of material because I'm so preoccupied with such mundane things as perfecting the mix and layering that will define a large portion of the track. Hardly riveting viewing — tweaking velocities, experimenting with soft, almost inaudible layering etc.. It definitely helps if you're a composer who pieces everything together in a way that the average viewer/listener can enjoy following; and certainly you wouldn't want to disrupt your usual flow in order to make the experiment work (unless, I guess, discovering new ways of making music is itself part of the experiment).

 

Good luck!

Share this post


Link to post

Hey all, sorry I've been away for so long! I messed with a stream doing this once on Twitch and it was pretty cool. I've wondered about bringing it back, though it definitely takes time to write a song. I may experiment more with this and see, but I do see there's definitely interest!

Share this post


Link to post

Where's your YT? I would like to check it out. I am an amatuer musician who started off in midi back in the day. I know they still have a speed midi group in discord still going on. I thought about participating, but with my job and other projects I just don't have the time. Thus I would like to listen to people make midi and talk about midi.

Share this post


Link to post
On 3/2/2019 at 8:31 PM, Immorpher said:

Where's your YT? I would like to check it out. I am an amatuer musician who started off in midi back in the day. I know they still have a speed midi group in discord still going on. I thought about participating, but with my job and other projects I just don't have the time. Thus I would like to listen to people make midi and talk about midi.

 

I’m on YT at http://www.youtube.com/c/Allstin, which has my older classic challenge runs, but I’m on Twitch more so nowadays at http://www.twitch.tv/IAmAllstin

 

i do have a few music related videos (reimagining Doom songs, as well as one where I play The Living End ingame and it’s music track on guitar, simultaneously).

 

The VOD for the composition is archived here: 

 

feel free to message me on discord at Allstin#2525 or join up at http://www.discord.me/Allstin and I’d be glad to help in some way!

 

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×