Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
SiFi270

What makes this door only work in ZDoom?

Question

So Visions of Eternity is a wad that requires ZDoom, and I originally thought that this was only because its maps occupy slots E5M1 to E5M9. Because of that, I thought I could make a patch that would allow it to run with the Eternity Engine by studying the Eternity-specific code in Xaser's own take on a fifth episode. But when I was testing the first map, I ran into another issue: Having the red key doesn't allow you to open the red key door. Wondering if this was just an Eternity thing, I tried making a small wad with E5M1 renamed to E1M1 so I could test it in other ports. I got the same result in PRBoom+ (complevel 3 for what it's worth) and Odamex, and one thing I found especially strange was how PRBoom's automap could recognize a linedef that required a red key for something, but it couldn't figure out what that something actually was.

And so I find myself asking what many have asked before me: What's the ZDeal with ZDoom?

14 answers to this question

It's probably because there is a walk over trigger in front of the red door that blocks the use event?

1 hour ago, Vermil said:

It's probably because there is a walk over trigger in front of the red door that blocks the use event?

Yes. You can test it easily in ZDoom by going in the Options->Compatibility options and turning on "All special lines can block <use>" (first entry below the "Map/action behavior" header in GZDoom). Then you'll see that the door doesn't work in ZDoom too with this option on. Then turn it off and you can open the door again.

The solution to make it work in ZDoom and other ports is by editing the map to reset the linedef and tag in front of the door to 0 and set the linedef behind the door to open sector 11.

qNx6znf.png

I thought so... But I suppose I'll have to ask the author's permission if I'm changing even that much. Maybe I should have already, of course.

4 hours ago, SiFi270 said:

But I suppose I'll have to ask the author's permission if I'm changing even that much.

Well,

from this

* Copyright / Permissions *

Authors may NOT use the contents of this file as a base for modification or
reuse. Permissions have been obtained from original authors for any of
their resources modified or included in this file.

You MAY distribute this file, provided you include this text file, with no
modifications.  You may distribute this file in any electronic format (BBS,
Diskette, CD, etc) as long as you include this file intact.  I have
received permission from the original authors of any modified or included
content in this file to allow further distribution.

I take it that the copyright only extends to a newly created map which uses the original as a base,

and possibly a corrected version of the map,.and you intent to publish this new/corrected map.

If you simply correct an error in your private copy of the map, I would say, go for it, as that is common practice.

Hopefully, Tobias will see this thread and correct the linedef so that his creation can be played with a port other than ZDoom. On the other hand, if you feel strongly about changing the map than email Tobias for his comment.

16 hours ago, Kappes Buur said:

Hopefully, Tobias will see this thread and correct the linedef so that his creation can be played with a port other than ZDoom. On the other hand, if you feel strongly about changing the map than email Tobias for his comment.

If you want @Tobias to see this thread, tag him, like I just did.

12 minutes ago, Empyre said:

If you want @Tobias to see this thread, tag him, like I just did.

Since Tobias has not logged in to DW since November 2002, it is probably more likely that he would see an e-mail than the tag (assuming the e-mail is current).

However, the overall premise of tagging the responsible party in the thread is correct.

So I got permission and fixed it, along with a similar issue in E5M3. I realized having it on the other side would prevent backtracking if, for example, you wanted to find the remaining secrets, so I made a new trigger line directly inside the doorway. But I still have another two thirds of the episode to test.

igotpermission.png

22 hours ago, SiFi270 said:

so I made a new trigger line directly inside the doorway.

Sorry to double post, but is there a better way of doing this I'm still not aware of? Making a new linedef in the doorway means splitting the sector, and while they can be joined back together, this means the door will try to open but get stuck if compatibility settings are close enough to vanilla.

I probably should have mentioned sooner, but after realizing that Odamex's mapinfo support meant it also had the potential to play this episode if you used the console or command line to warp to E5M1, I thought it might be worth making my patch target even more engines, such as Doom Retro, which doesn't have any issues with these doors. I'd just like to know if there's anything I can do to make Odamex support more feasible, or if I should just give up on it.

I guess this is the point where I should upload what I have so far so my methods can be properly critiqued.

voe-ee.rar

You could make the door stay open, and make the back side of the door your trigger line.

wow i'm a dummy

I feel like it might be a little awkward for the door before the rocket launcher secret in E5M3 to stay open for the same reason, but it probably wouldn't be that big a deal.

I just though of another idea.  You could have the door open and close like normal, and have the trigger line just past the door.  If it is Use Once, maybe it won't block the player getting back out.

Use Once kind of isn't an option for the trigger in E5M3, because it's meant to temporarily open a wall that leads to a secret, and I wouldn't want players to only have one chance at getting a secret. My current plan for it is to have the line before the door, but further back.

I didn't know what was being triggered.

Yet another idea: on the inside of the secret, put a switch next to the door that opens the door, so that side of the door can be the walkover trigger.