Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
alowe

FRAGHOLM - Single Level Map

Found this lying around. The WAD it was for never got finished, but it's a nice little map. Now you can try it.

Requires Doom2.WAD and tested with ZDoom and probably doesn't work with other ports even though it has no MAPINFO lump.

All difficulty settings are the same but it's tested on Ultra-Violence.

Fragholm.ZIP - 488kb  MAP 09

Fragholm.png

Edited by alowe

11 minutes ago, alowe said:

probably works with other ports as it has no MAPINFO lump

Please always test with other ports before making such bold statements.

Other than that, it looks nice.

some of those visuals are EXTREMELY creative and well executed, however the gameplay seems a little lacking based on what i saw in the editor, although i didn't even play the map because i spent 5 minutes finicking around with the rocket launcher and plasma rifle only to realize that the door at the start doesn't even work because there are walkover lines directly in front of it, blocking use actions in many non-zdoom ports!!! ;~;

if you aim for vanilla and boom compatibility in the future, you have to leave atleast 16-units of space in front of switch and door line actions because you can't use through other kinds of actions (a quick fix here would be to put the walkover lines inside the door or just beyond it)

37 minutes ago, Gothic said:

Please always test with other ports before making such bold statements.

Other than that, it looks nice.

Edited

31 minutes ago, bonnie said:

if you aim for vanilla and boom compatibility in the future, you have to leave atleast 16-units of space in front of switch and door line actions because you can't use through other kinds of actions (a quick fix here would be to put the walkover lines inside the door or just beyond it)

I only mentioned other ports because someone once tested one of my maps with Boom and said it worked fine. Perhaps they did something to make it work. I'll avoid mentioning other ports again.

And you can't judge gameplay by the editor any more than you can judge a book by it's cover. Just saying. Enjoy it if you ever try it.

This is an extremely interesting map. It's definitely not your typical Doom map, as it leaves aside the emphasis on combat you'd expect, and instead focuses on a puzzle-like progression. It may seem obtuse at first (I sure got stuck for a while), but it's not unfair as there's always some clue leading you to the right direction. The detailing is also pretty fantastic across the board, all in a layout that resembles an actual place.

Can I just say that using the Wolfenstein lift texture for windows is a stroke of genius? I'm going to have to remember this for my own maps :)

Thanks for the positive feedback. That makes it worth it as it was just sitting there collecting electronic dust on my hard drive.

The map is shorter than I'd like it to be. I just ran out of ideas and wanted to get onto the next map, but I put quite a lot of effort into the look of it.

If someone wants to expand it or incorporate it into their own map, go ahead. I'm not a copyright prude.

PS, it's possible to die in the map and yet still finish it. My only map that does that. But if you died you'd start the next map with 50 bullets and a gun, like a restart.