Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
NiTROACTiVE

GZDoom Builder With Classic DB2 Controls?

Question

Recently, I tried out GZDoom Builder. It has some nice features, but I'm not really used to these new mouse and keyboard controls it has. Is there a way to get the classic feel of the Doom Builder 2 controls? I'm aware you can change the controls with the preferences menu, but is there an easier way to get that DB2 feel?

8 answers to this question

5 hours ago, NiTROACTiVE said:

Recently, I tried out GZDoom Builder. It has some nice features, but I'm not really used to these new mouse and keyboard controls it has. Is there a way to get the classic feel of the Doom Builder 2 controls? I'm aware you can change the controls with the preferences menu, but is there an easier way to get that DB2 feel?

Open Builder.cfg and GZBuilder.cfg in something like Notepad++ and copy/paste approriate settings.

23 hours ago, Kappes Buur said:

Open Builder.cfg and GZBuilder.cfg in something like Notepad++ and copy/paste approriate settings.

I tried to do things such as change the shortcuts in the GZBuilder.cfg file as found in Builder.cfg, as well as just copy the whole Builder.cfg file to GZBuilder.cfg. Neither of those worked for me, as it messed up the sector controls for floor height/brightness. What should I really do to get the classic DB2 feel?

What do you mean exactly by "classic DB2 feel"?  Specific keyboard shortcuts, or something more general?

1 hour ago, NiTROACTiVE said:

I tried to do things such as change the shortcuts in the GZBuilder.cfg file as found in Builder.cfg, as well as just copy the whole Builder.cfg file to GZBuilder.cfg. Neither of those worked for me, as it messed up the sector controls for floor height/brightness. What should I really do to get the classic DB2 feel?

I was thinking more simply of interface colours and key shortcuts.

Of course, you cannot copy/paste all of the config file, there are just too many programming changes. As far as the interface of the two programs are concerned, they are essentially the same, just that GZDB has many bug fixes and upgrades "under the hood". Comparing the screens shows that. The same goes for DB2 - GZDB - GZDBBF, with GZDBBF, again, having more bug fixes and more features added.

Like Bauul's question, what makes you think that the 'feel' of the editor is different?

I decided to play around with GZDoom Builder some more, and I found out what my issue was exactly. I had to turn off the option Continuous drawing in Draw Lines Mode to make it feel like DB2, as I would not be able to drag vertices with that option on unless if I were to switch to Vertices Mode.

I'm pretty sure no-one here in a month of Mondays would have guessed you were asking "can I make Draw Lines Mode snap back to the prior mode once I'm finished drawning?" from your original question. 

Still, I'm glad you got it sorted!

24 minutes ago, Bauul said:

I'm pretty sure no-one here in a month of Mondays would have guessed you were asking "can I make Draw Lines Mode snap back to the prior mode once I'm finished drawning?" from your original question. 

Still, I'm glad you got it sorted!

Yeah, I should have been more specific on my question before. But still, thanks. :)