Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Ralphis

Odamex 0.8.3 (released May 10, 2020)

YsaFBoP.png

Updated May 11th, 2020: Current version is at 0.8.3.

Odamex is a multiplayer-centric client/server source port originally based on Zdoom 1.22/csDoom. Despite offering many modern features and comforts, the engine is also capable of playing back many vanilla Doom demos. In addition to its strong netcode, other significant modern features include a truecolor software renderer, widescreen, uncapped frame rates, on-the-fly wad loading, new game modes, and net demos with playback controls. So far, it has been reported to run on Windows, OSX, the common Linux distros, XBox, Wii, Switch and Amiga.

Current version: 0.8.3 - May 10, 2020

Home: http://odamex.net

Discord: https://discord.gg/aMUzcZE

Github: https://github.com/odamex/odamex/

Sourceforge: https://sourceforge.net/projects/odamex/files/Odamex/

Edited by Ralphis : 0.8.3

I compiled this for Linux Mint 18.3 64bit and could run Freedoom1 and 2 just fine. Though when ever I try to load up a pwad via the "-file" command, I get this error in return.

SDL_GetError = "A video mode must be set before warping mouse"

On 1/25/2019 at 10:12 PM, Ralphis said:

Updated Jan 25, 2018:

On 1/25/2019 at 10:12 PM, Ralphis said:

Current version: 0.8.0 - Jan 25, 2018

Its 2019. (mentioning so that people don't get confused)

We're close to a 0.8.1 release folks :) !

We actually need more testing before marking it as "stable" ; we indeed definitely want to make it in time for the QuakeDOOMCon 2019.

To make it simple, here's a quick & dirty changelog (subject to change) :

Spoiler

* the server will now inform the user that the maplist was cleared
* fixed a crash when using maplist with no wads specified
* updated compatible versions of freedoom to include 0.10 to 0.11.2
* fixed a crash that could happen if the WEAPON_RAISE state is called during the start of the demo
* the warmup message now specifies which key needs to be pressed to "ready up"
* fixed a bug where palette and blending would not be updated during intermission
* added sv_itemsrespawnsuper, which can enable and disable super powerups like megasphere and invulnerability sphere
* removed obsolete code that would only update sectors every 3rd tic that could result in desyncs
* remove cl_updaterate since it is no longer used
* remove update_rate from userinfo since it is no longer used
* fixed active moving sectors getting stuck when switching from in-game to spectator mode
* fixed the alt key getting stuck on Windows when moving in and out of the odamex window with tab
* fixed some vanilla demo desyncs
* fixed some sectors not having the floor and ceiling textures updated in online mode
* fixed being able to drown in god mode
* fixed co_globalsound not working as intended
* in single-player mode the game will now pause if the console is on screen
* added "lobby" support to MAPINFO to allow players to create lobby maps
* added sv_latency to simulate latency on the server. This command is intended for developers only and must be #defined in the source.
* fixed a bug where the client would hear switch activating sounds when connecting to a server
* the client is now much better optimized for rendering transparency
* fixed issue where many non-widescreen resolutions were getting stretched across the screen in fullscreen mode instead of having pillarboxes
* changed some of the default binds to be more in alignment with modern shooter controls
* bobbing is now disabled in spectator mode and flying and mouselook are on by default
* added hud_scoreboard_hide to now hide the scoreboard during instances it would show without the user asking, such as upon death
* added hud_demobar to now hide the progression bar during the playback of a demo
* added hud_heldflag_flash to enable or disable the flashing that occurs with the flag hud in CTF
* added options for filtering specific gamemode demos in the network settings
* added Nintendo Switch support
* added vid_pillarbox, which uses can use to choose is Odamex uses pillarboxing instead of stretching to the window size on lower resolutions
* fixed vid_32bpp not updating immediately in fullscreen mode.
* added vid_download_test, which will be a testing feature for the next release. It makes some tweaks to the wad downloading code to hopefully make it not freeze the server anymore and causing lag spikes.

We also have an unofficial port to the Nintendo Switch, thanks to fgsfds's work ! It supports Online multiplayer aswell, but you'll need to enter manually the IP to be able to do so. We're definitely planning to add a serverbrowser in the next release.

The Release Candidate and Switch testbuild can be downloaded at this address : https://odamex.net/boards/index.php/topic,3210.msg6475.html#msg6475

Also, here is a small list of servers who are in 0.8.1 pre-release :

== EUROPE ==
* 164.132.231.164:17002 - The Ultimate DooM COOP - BaseQ.fr
* 164.132.231.164:17003 - Doom 2 COOP - BaseQ.fr
* 217.182.206.49:20001 - Duel 2015 QUICKY - BaseQ.fr
* 217.182.206.49:20000 - Duel 2015 - BaseQ.fr 

== AMERICA ==
* 45.76.166.154:10668 - STCTFMPX CTF - [NJ] Homeless Town
* 45.76.166.154:10669 - DUEL 2020 - [NJ] Homeless Town

EDIT : also, please join us on the Discord Server in order to report anything from the port, and possible improvements : https://discord.gg/aMUzcZE

On 7/20/2019 at 9:53 PM, slayermbm said:

Is it possible to run Odamex in the original Doom aspect ratio? Thanks!

You can definitely play Odamex in a 4:3 resolution, and you can even use a virtual resolution that emulates its original DOS resolution (vid_320x200)

Spoiler is an example of it.

Spoiler

image.png.0b78ef5713d674525202c115498eb239.png

5 hours ago, Ch0wW said:

You can definitely play Odamex in a 4:3 resolution, and you can even use a virtual resolution that emulates its original DOS resolution (vid_320x200)

Spoiler is an example of it.

Reveal hidden contents

image.png.0b78ef5713d674525202c115498eb239.png

Hey @Ch0wW that's great!

My first post was not clear enough, I meant to ask how to turn on the '4:3' resolution. Is there a menu option to tick, or do I need to set it in the command line, or something else?

Thanks again for your time.

Edit: I found it opening odamex.cfg in the port folder and changing vid_pillarbox to 1. Now the resolution is correct.

Edited by slayermbm

Also, Odamex 0.8.1 has been officially released !

We managed to put a lot of efforts to fix several issues people were reporting.

Here is a complete changelog : https://odamex.net/wiki/Releases#Odamex_0.8.1

@Ralphis should make an update to the original post in order to reflect these changes.

Also, I made an update to the Nintendo Switch port, fixing some problems and adding several other stuff. You can download it here : https://github.com/Ch0wW/odamex/releases/tag/0.8.1-v2

Something little I noticed in v0.8.1:   Capslock interferes with Y confirming Nightmare skill.

Found something else.   It turns out all along vanilla doom.wad has an error in BigDoor7 where the patches' Y are set at -4.   It's fixed in Doom2.wad.

Oddly Vanilla doom.exe and most ports compensate for it but Odamex doesn't, at least on some maps.  In E3M5 you see this:

bigdoor7prob.png

Of course in a custom texture wad I just set those Y offsets to 0 to fix it.

Edited by Gokuma

On 3/29/2020 at 10:45 PM, Ralphis said:

Thanks Gokuma, I've passed it on to our team

Does Odamex use the Cardboard renderer?

No, Odamex is originally built off of the Zdoom 1.22 renderer but has had many improvements and additions over the years including, but not limited to, more precise line calcs, slopes (with GPL physics), 32-bit software renderer, widescreen, and other improvements. We anticipate that, hopefully by the next major release, the renderer code will be abstracted so that it's easy to build new hardware driven renderers. I recommend dropping by the Odamex discord if you'd like to have more in-depth discussion about it https://discord.gg/aMUzcZE

I saw that SoM was a member of the Odamex team and that Odamex has a truecolor renderer and thought it might be his Cardboard renderer :D

My only complaint is the broken keyboard for some international layouts, mine is spanish and some keys either don't work or i get different characters.

Currently working on this universally compatible wad for Ultimate Doom:

EDIT: http://www.mediafire.com/file/1im3gz3uzn4mfpp/D1EntHng.zip/file (Finished version 4/25)

Episode 5 is for Odamex/ZDaemon.  In E5M1 I want the Doomball to teleport back to a height of 96 in the center but Teleport Z isn't working in Odamex.  It just stays at ground level when teleporting.   I tried setting compat settings to ZDoom physics.   It's not that big a deal but it looks cool when it works.

(Ep 6 is for Eternity, Ep 7 is for Zandronum/LZDoom/GZDoom/etc, and anything in first four episodes is compatible for vanilla doom.exe or Doom Classic 2019, except obviously DC2019 has no dehacked support to play Doomball in E4M1.  Credtext at bottom of wad)

BTW, Odamex is seriously sweet.  This is my vanilla port of choice and it's awesome to see demos recorded with doom.exe play perfectly and lost souls behave exactly like vanilla, but it's also ZDoom and geared for the best online performance!

Edited by Gokuma

On 4/11/2020 at 1:33 PM, Gokuma said:

In E5M1 I want the Doomball to teleport back to a height of 96 in the center but Teleport Z isn't working in Odamex.  It just stays at ground level when teleporting.   I tried setting compat settings to ZDoom physics.   It's not that big a deal but it looks cool when it works. 

I'll see if I can figure out a fix for this.

EDIT: @Gokuma please try this devbuild of Odamex and see if that resolves the issue.

Edited by AlexMax

On 3/31/2020 at 5:05 AM, Ralphis said:

No, Odamex is originally built off of the Zdoom 1.22 renderer but has had many improvements and additions over the years including, but not limited to, more precise line calcs, slopes (with GPL physics), 32-bit software renderer, widescreen, and other improvements. We anticipate that, hopefully by the next major release, the renderer code will be abstracted so that it's easy to build new hardware driven renderers. I recommend dropping by the Odamex discord if you'd like to have more in-depth discussion about it https://discord.gg/aMUzcZE

It definitely is its own thing, and i like that :) The software renderer certainly was quite unique since it predates most other public endeavors.

1 hour ago, AlexMax said:

I'll see if I can figure out a fix for this.

EDIT: @Gokuma please try this devbuild of Odamex and see if that resolves the issue.

Excellent, it does.   Major Thanks!

Any chance of adding episode modification/addition to mapinfo? For example:

episode E3M1
name "Quad Goal Deathmatch!"
picname M_EPI3

episode E4M1
name "Vanilla Quadball"
picname M_EPI4V

episode E5M1
name "Quad Doomball"
picname M_EPI4

based on https://zdoom.org/wiki/MAPINFO_(old_format)

Warping to 5 1 still works fine anyway.

Possibly.  I'm working on a new MAPINFO branch right now that should cut down on the amount of MAPINFO-related errors in the console, and part of that is having to parse episode definitions, though right now they don't actually do anything.

Put them in, make sure they work in GZDoom, and I might take a look at getting episode definitions to actually do stuff, though I can't promise you a timeline.

Cool!   The wad has a zmapinfo and mapinfo.   I temporarily renamed the zmapinfo to test the regular mapinfo with GZDoom and Zandronum.

Sorry if this is the wrong place to ask, but the Oda forums are all but dead. Is there any chance that Odamex will see support for player skins in the future? This has always been a feature I've loved about most ports in the ZDoom family.

I know a lot of people see them as a "goofy" or pointless feature or whatever, but they're a lot of fun. Whenever people are connected to the Doomshack clusters on Zand and ZD, they almost always take advantage of the skins I have hosted. It would be nice to have that option in Odamex as well. It's one of my favorite ports and skins are one of my favorite features, so I guess it's natural I want to see the two come together!

If skins do end up implemented in a future build, that would be extremely cool. I know devs are underpaid and overworked as it is and I'm just adding another request to the pile, but I'd be extremely grateful!

Just wanted to ask a question about the cl_predictlocalplayer CVAR being removed?

https://github.com/odamex/odamex/commits/8ebc6e831025be8449d4a4b3a4cec1179b76a519/client/src/cl_pred.cpp

Being forced to use predictive things seems like a bad idea. Of course it's usually preferable, but I use this command regularly for network testing and otherwise (sometimes it's just nice to know where you actually are rather than relying on an educated guess). Just wanted to bring this up so that change can hopefully be reverted, I'd greatly appreciate it!

EDIT: Also this thread title really needs to be updated, don't want people to think it's still at 0.8.0

Edited by Doomkid

I like skins and have made plenty and plan to make more, but lack of quality of ones I see used online drives me nuts.   I wish the server hosts would use more discretion.

I stole some of your skins for this pack!

I agree entirely that many of the ones you see are.. Pretty bad. I tried my best to include only "at least decent" skins here, and removed all the irritating sound effects, keeping only the non-obnoxious ones. I would really love to host this on Odamex some day :) It's nice when everyone can pick their own marine variant

Odamex 0.8.3

* The Release *

Odamex 0.8.3 has officially been released! Since there was no post made for Odamex 0.8.2, this post will cover the combined changes for both Odamex 0.8.2 and 0.8.3. Huge credit to AlexMax, Ch0wW, Dr. Sean, Hekksy, Hobomaster, HyperEye, JSD, Manc, so-sleepy, and vilhelmgray for all of their contributions that made these releases possible. Read on to view a more comprehensive changelog.

* Input Lag Fix *

Since the project moved to SDL2 with Odamex 0.8, some players complained of input lag. Particularly, this always seemed to be most noticed with the mouse. After years of racking our brains and reviewing all of our input code, we discovered that the issue was in fact caused by changes to the window manager in Windows 8 and Windows 10. To combat this, players are now given the option of two different input modes: Fullscreen Exclusive and Fullscreen Borderless. For users on Windows 8 and Windows 10, using the Fullscreen Exclusive video mode will eliminate the video lag (and a perceived mouse lag) introduced on these systems.

* Changelog *

• Most of the changelog can be found below:
  • Fixed bug 1278: sector scroll speeds. Also reimplemented LS_Scroll_Floor (0.8.2)
  • Fixed weapon offset by 1 (0.8.2)
  • Many Fixes related to client stability regarding invalid stats, floor/ceiling height, and railgun crashes (0.8.2)
  • Fixed crash when loading a game when an Icon of Sin cube was in-flight (0.8.2)
  • Fixed cl_netgraph rendering out-of-bounds on small resolutions (0.8.2)
  • Fixed issues with actions triggered by multiple bound keys at the same time  (bug 1282) (0.8.2)
  • Most arguments now automatically translate to lowercase, fixing Many issues that may be a result from wrong case usage (0.8.2)
  • DeuTex is now used to build odamex.wad (0.8.2)
  • Improved support for international keyboard layouts (0.8.3)
  • Corrected multiple video and resolution bugs related to scaling (0.8.3)
  • Fixed issue with demo recordings where multiple map indexes were being written (0.8.3)
  • Bug fixes to weapon behavior in wads that utilize "ISLOBBY" (i.e. Duel2020OA.wad) (0.8.3)
  • Removed classicdemo variable since it was never used (0.8.2)
  • Removed suicide spam and suicide during intermission (0.8.2)
  • Rewrote a loop in SV-WriteCommands (), making the server much more efficient (0.8.2)
  • Added further improvements to wad downloading by removing the constant check for MD5 hashes (0.8.2)
  • Increase number of steps adjusting snd_sfxvolume, snd_musicvolume, and snd_announcervolume to 64 (0.8.2)
  • "players" command now also includes the number of players when used (0.8.2)
  • Reverted the patch for bug 1105. No other multiplayer ports seem to support this behavior and it is not vanilla (0.8.2)
  • Removed cvars "dynres_state", "dynresval", "mouse_acceleration", "mouse_threshold" since they were rarely used and caused confusion amongst the players (0.8.2)
  • Removed cvar "mouse_type", we now only support the ZDoom mouse type since it was just a scaler for the Doom mouse type. Odamex will detect the users settings with the old cvar and update to the new settings automatically (0.8.2)
  • Removed "cl_rocketrails" because it was unused (0.8.2)
  • Removed "cl_unlag" and "sv_unlag". They are default behavior now (0.8.2)
  • Removed "rate" cvar. The client will now allow up to what the server allows with "sv_maxrate" (0.8.2)
  • Removed "cl_predictlocalplayer" cvar. It is now always enabled (0.8.2)
  • Latest SDL2 and SDL2_Mixer libraries are now packaged with release (0.8.3)
  • CMake and compiler optimizations (0.8.3)
  • Added confirmation messages for addmap and insertmap (0.8.2)
  • Added PAR times for the Flesh Consumed (0.8.2)
  • Updated FreeDoom to version 0.12.1 (0.8.2)
  • Added some feedback to the user warning them if their iwad is out of date  (not version 1.9) (0.8.2)
  • Added back a few ZDoom/Hexen damage sectors (0.8.2)
  • intermission now plays normally during episode end. Odamex no longer jumps straight to the next map upon exit (0.8.2)
  • Added the ability to spy by name  (or closest to what the user keyed in) (0.8.2)
  • Added new vid_filter cvar to control display filtering; options are "nearest", "linear", "best", or "0", "1", "2", respectively (0.8.2)
  • Added "Fullscreen Exclusive" mode as an available option in the vid_fullscreen. The other two existing modes were windowed and fullscreen borderless. Using Fullscreen Exclusive mode eliminates video lag  (and a perceived mouse lag) introduced on systems running Windows 8 and Windows 10. (0.8.3)
  • Client now receives control of mouse when client is in console, menu, or alt+tabbed on Windows. This behavior mirrors Valve's Source engine games and is highly useful for users with more than one monitor. (0.8.3)

* Going Forward *

This is the last release expected in the 0.8.X series. With Odamex 0.9.0, we expect to bring a large amount of new features including support for many more wads (Boom/MBF), a duel queue, new game modes, and many other under-the-hood improvements that we will reveal as we move closer to the release.

44 minutes ago, Ralphis said:

Odamex 0.8.3

* The Release *

Odamex 0.8.3 has officially been released! Since there was no post made for Odamex 0.8.2, this post will cover the combined changes for both Odamex 0.8.2 and 0.8.3. Huge credit to AlexMax, Ch0wW, Dr. Sean, Hekksy, Hobomaster, HyperEye, JSD, Manc, so-sleepy, and vilhelmgray for all of their contributions that made these releases possible. Read on to view a more comprehensive changelog.

Excellent stuff really. Its quite amazing how far this (and ZDaemon) have come relying on a core thats pushing 20 years of age. And not only that, adding new features unique to it, and official multi machine platform support which can't be mentioned enough.

Congrats to the entire team for this new release.

This also reminds me i have to hang out in the OdaDiscord some more because i have things to ask.

Congratulations on the release. Keys now work on spanish keyboards, not with the current defaults (still uses the wrong keys by default). When i change them for instance i get #186 to open the console (not tilde or grave) and #161 to increase screen size (not =). But it works.

Just now, drfrag said:

Congratulations on the release. Keys now work on spanish keyboards, not with the current defaults (still uses the wrong keys by default). When i change them for instance i get #186 to open the console (not tilde or grave) and #161 to increase screen size (not =). But it works.

I think this is just an unfortunate side effect of how SDL interprets those keys on non-US keyboards. All keys should be bindable from the controls menu, even if it says key #XXX.

Yes it works, what doesn't work now is the bug tracker. It says the username doesn't exist but never mind.